Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Removal

zhunter

1 minute ago, Rich406 said:

I used a hammer and punch. Once it starts moving it comes out easily. But I did initially gave to hit it harder than I was comfortable with. 

Ok, I will give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes.  I was using a punch and a mallet, I guess I will go for the hammer

It’s still a lot of money to spend for one sight but the Wheeler Sight Pusher is a excellent tool.

You might even find yourself spending more money and replacing more sights once you have it. [emoji2]

Maybe even charge friends and neighbors a couple bucks to change sights?

Cheaper than refinishing your gun when after you mar it.

Good luck.

Wheeler Engineering Armorer's Handgun Sight Tool with Heavy-Duty Construction and Reversible Assembly for Handguns, Gunsmithing and Maintenance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3NU0U2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sMWjEbJW26MV2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, zhunter said:

Just as the title says, what is the best way to remove the front sight?  I banged on it pretty hard from the left side and it did not want to move.

Ideas?

Go to your local gun shop and pay them to press it out.  I would think they wouldn't charge more than 20 bucks to remove the front sight

I had to change the sights on an M&P, which are close to welded in. Banging on them was no-go. I ended up vising the sight blade itself, covering the slide with tape and wacking it,  and moving the slide off the sight. It worked, nothing was marred or damaged. 

I only had one that was really, really difficult.  Eventually with heat and a mini sledge I got it.  The sight was trashed, but otherwise no issues. I was like you and that I was not going to be putting in another sight.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:33 AM, zhunter said:

The Wheeler sight tool looks amazing, but I am a CO shooter, the front sight is not necessary and can be distracting.  I only need to remove it, but thanks

Disagree with that-  My battery died on my RP1- had to finish the stage with the FS and the square notch in the rear of the RP1= a saved stage!

Just my experience!

1 hour ago, Rolex said:

Disagree with that-  My battery died on my RP1- had to finish the stage with the FS and the square notch in the rear of the RP1= a saved stage!

Just my experience!

You don’t carry spare batteries?  I also change my batteries every year on my birthday, great way to never have one crap out.  

Glad you had it to save the day tho

Edited by zhunter

On 1/22/2020 at 8:30 PM, zhunter said:

You don’t carry spare batteries?  I also change my batteries every year on my birthday, great way to never have one crap out.  

Glad you had it to save the day tho

Yes I carry spare batteries- but hard to change in the middle of the stage!

But the sights save that STAGE