Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To scrap some 223 brass or not to scrap it?

looking4reloadingdeals

Hey guys, I posted a while ago looking to find out what brand of brass this was:

1c335a69b5b8be93348f2bfd0cc26c3d.jpg

And no one could figure out what it was and I couldn’t find anything on the internet either. This was a little odd to me but I finally got around to processing it. No matter how I adjust my dies I can’t get it to easily go into the case gauge and fall out. The brass needs to be pushed into the gauge, and then pushed out. The brass does fall in and out of one of my chambers, but seems like something is off with the brass since it gets stuck in the gauge.

So, should I just end up scrapping the brass and picking up some other stuff? I have more than enough to get me by for now so scrapping it wouldn’t be the worst thing ever and it was free range brass. There’s just over 26lbs of it.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by looking4reloadingdeals

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Thanks George. That’s kind of what I thinking since it’s unknown brass and I’m having problems with purely resizing it

It’ll save you from more frustrations down the road. Better safe than sorry so to speak 👍.

Maybe try selling it to one of the reman ammo companies that buy brass.  At least then it won't be a total loss. 

Well I would end up taking it to a local scrap place along with other bad brass I’ve been saving up for a while so it won’t be a total loss either way. Last I looked those reman places give you scrap price for it right?

3 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Well I would end up taking it to a local scrap place along with other bad brass I’ve been saving up for a while so it won’t be a total loss either way. Last I looked those reman places give you scrap price for it right?

I haven't checked in awhile as I horde a ton of brass.  Where I live there isn't a local scrap place that takes brass.

I haven't checked in awhile as I horde a ton of brass.  Where I live there isn't a local scrap place that takes brass.

Usually I’m the same way and don’t ever get rid of brass, this brass just has me a little weary to try and load with all the problems iv had so far, and the fact that literally no one can even tell me which brand it is seems really odd.

Yep, I posted that Oct 14th 2019 in the original post. Guess the OP missed it...

This is from Vairog in Latvia. Latvia has a new cartridge manufacturer which is named “VAIROG”. They have a registered business in the US too.

There will be letters in the shield logo. If made in the USA will have VUS. If Made in Latvia will have VEU (EU for Europe)

VAIROG US, LLC

VAIROG US, LLC

(719) 352-9212,

2557 Georgetown Road Nw Cleveland, TN 37311

http://www.vairog.eu/

1 hour ago, Eric802 said:

I asked on another board because that headstamp is a new one to me; apparently it's Latvian.  Got this link in response to my question:

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/headstamp-info-wanted-of-new-latvian-company-vairog/27643

Eric, this is very interesting. Someone had mentioned this in the original thread, but there was even less information there and I couldn't find anything on their website, so I gave up searching. That new post of the head stamp is exactly what mine looks like too, so it seems to be a match. 

Although one concern I now have is that they're out of business, or seem to be going out of business. 

I've also never heard of any other "match grade" brass being troublesome to resize/gauge. Thanks for the info. 

Do you think knowing who makes changes anything since im still having problems?

15 minutes ago, RGA said:

RGA, I did see it, but I couldn't find anything to support it and their website wasn't working when I googled it and went to their website (European or US website). And I must have just forgotten to respond to your post, I apologize. Do you know anything about the company as a whole or anything about their brass? it seems to be a very unknown company. 

Edited by looking4reloadingdeals

It's an old company but I have no experience with their ammo. I have never seen it locally around here.

If you don't trust it, don't use it.

Edited by RGA

If it is all clean, send it to me and I will anneal and rollsize all of it for you.   I have not had the chance to run my Rollsizer on .223 and I don't have enough of my own brass to warrant switching my case feeder and rollsizer over from 9mm.    Just pay return postage. 

Or, sell it to me cheap to give me a reason to spend more time in my reloading room playing with my gadgets. 

If it is all clean, send it to me and I will anneal and rollsize all of it for you.   I have not had the chance to run my Rollsizer on .223 and I don't have enough of my own brass to warrant switching my case feeder and rollsizer over from 9mm.    Just pay return postage. 

Or, sell it to me cheap to give me a reason to spend more time in my reloading room playing with my gadgets. 

Haha I appreciate that offer, but with my experience so far it’s not really something I’d want to be sending out

On 1/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Hey guys, I posted a while ago looking to find out what brand of brass this was:

And no one could figure out what it was and I couldn’t find anything on the internet either. This was a little odd to me but I finally got around to processing it. No matter how I adjust my dies I can’t get it to easily go into the case gauge and fall out. The brass needs to be pushed into the gauge, and then pushed out. The brass does fall in and out of one of my chambers, but seems like something is off with the brass since it gets stuck in the gauge.

So, should I just end up scrapping the brass and picking up some other stuff? I have more than enough to get me by for now so scrapping it wouldn’t be the worst thing ever and it was free range brass. There’s just over 26lbs of it.

What do you guys think?

I doubt it is the brass itself, more likely the gun it was fired from has a loose chamber.  Try shooting it out of your gun, then try reloading the brass after it has been fire-formed to your chamber.

What brand of dies are you using?  As 427 Cobra suggested, try small base dies.

Nolan

I doubt it is the brass itself, more likely the gun it was fired from has a loose chamber.  Try shooting it out of your gun, then try reloading the brass after it has been fire-formed to your chamber.
What brand of dies are you using?  As 427 Cobra suggested, try small base dies.

Nolan

Nolan, it was just shot of a regular ar same with the rest of the brass I was processing (all from the same weekend at a buddies camp). I’m using lee dies right now and have never had a problem with them before. Maybe I’ll try a small base die though and just see what happens, thanks

• 3 months later...

there is so much good reloadable brass out there- I would not waste my time on brass giving you trouble.  It is laying in piles on our local ranges.