Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR Speed Versa vs. DAA Racer Magazine Pouches

admcd

Long story short: I hate the Blade Tech Single Stack mag pouches I use for USPSA.  I have a hard time getting the belt to sit right with them/adhere to my inner belt on my off hand side, so I'm looking for an upgrade.  What I have now will move to the IDPA setup/held onto for loaner gear.

The idea would be to use one belt and swap inserts and holsters when I switch between Single Stack and Production (Or when I start shooting limited/open/CO well down the road).

I see the DAA Racers and the CR Speed Versas available over Stoeger's site and they're about $6 difference for the pouches.  I know I'll need the Single Stack inserts to swap between regardless. (ETA: The CR Versas have the "C-BAX" Belt Mounts pre-installed)

I was leaning towards the CR Speeds (They come in orange. I love that color) because they're on sale but I'm not tied to it.

Do folks have suggestions for one over the other?

Edited by admcd

Use the same belt and CR speed mag pouches for SS and Production by swapping the inserts.  I have never had a mag fall out in USPSA match all though I did have one fall out in 2 gun match this past weekend but was during a full on 75 yard sprint. The CR Speed pouches work great and just cant see any justification to change pouches.   

Also,  for SS the CR speed pouches are little easier to get the mag into the pouches when the start requires all mags on table/barrel bc insert kind of act like a mag well.

I can't comment on the CR speeds, but I have the Racers with the single stack inserts.

I couldn't be happier with them. Even though they are double stack mag carriers, the SS insert works perfectly and doesnt seem to be a compromise at all. Well built, very sturdy and I don't regret not buying the more expensive aluminum ones at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CR Speed with Single Stack inserts. 

Have you ever been on a stage where you have to pick up and stow mags?  The CR Speed pouches with the SS insert act like a mag well so you can quickly stow the mags without accidentally stripping off a round cuz you bumped the edge of the mag pouch (don't ask how I know about this! :roflol:)

Not sure if the Blade Techs offer the "mag well" or not.

Regarding adhering to your inner belt, pick up some industrial strength, stick on, Velcro-brand hook and loop tape and cut pieces of the hook side and stick to the inside of your mag pouch mounts.  Problem totally solved. I do this on my holsters, too (CBAX or not), cuz I still wasn't getting much contact between the inner and outer belt with them.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Based on the feedback here, I ended up ordering a DAA Racer and a CR Speed and ended up liking the Speed more.  I've got five more arriving on Friday with inserts!

19 hours ago, N3WWN said:

CR Speed with Single Stack inserts. 

Have you ever been on a stage where you have to pick up and stow mags?  The CR Speed pouches with the SS insert act like a mag well so you can quickly stow the mags without accidentally stripping off a round cuz you bumped the edge of the mag pouch (don't ask how I know about this! :roflol:)

Not sure if the Blade Techs offer the "mag well" or not.

Regarding adhering to your inner belt, pick up some industrial strength, stick on, Velcro-brand hook and loop tape and cut pieces of the hook side and stick to the inside of your mag pouch mounts.  Problem totally solved. I do this on my holsters, too (CBAX or not), cuz I still wasn't getting much contact between the inner and outer belt with them.

I'm going to give this a shot, too.  Hate the feeling of all that weight on my left side hanging in space.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been using the DAA racer mag pouches in open for a few years now and they’ve been really good.  However, I recently borrowed another shooter’s rig and found that the mag pouches have such little retention that mags practically fly out.  Meanwhile, the DAA pouches grip onto 2011 mags pretty hard, even with the spacer backed out all the way.  I can actually hold up my entire belt rig (sans gun) by holding onto the magazine itself!

I know it seems like a minor inconvenience, but is there a way to loosen the racers even more?  Or at least loosen the hold they have on the mags?

15 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I’ve been using the DAA racer mag pouches in open for a few years now and they’ve been really good.  However, I recently borrowed another shooter’s rig and found that the mag pouches have such little retention that mags practically fly out.  Meanwhile, the DAA pouches grip onto 2011 mags pretty hard, even with the spacer backed out all the way.  I can actually hold up my entire belt rig (sans gun) by holding onto the magazine itself!

I know it seems like a minor inconvenience, but is there a way to loosen the racers even more?  Or at least loosen the hold they have on the mags?

You have to grind down the inserts to your magazine. I had to do that for my P10F.

17 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Do both rigs use the same inserts? Inserts are specific to gun/mag type.

Cr speed. I've tried them all and those are the best. Especially for SS. Although with the new rules along magnets I'm gonna try out the new DAA magnetic single stack mag carrier.