Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractor?

Rambo329

I have approximately 2k round on my 9mm open major 2011. It has an aftec extractor in it and over time I have started to get more jams while competing with it. I pulled the extractor the other day and noticed it only had one spring in the extractor in the back position. I have read on here previously where some users only use one spring. I replaced the empty slot with a new spring and put the gun back together. Now it will throw loaded rounds across the living room which previously I was even having an issue trying to unload and show clear due to the extractor not throwing the round hard enough to get it out. I haven't had the time to shoot it yet just wanted some others peoples advice on the matter. Thanks

Bruce Erlinger 

I immediately used two springs when installing a new Aftec.  However, I compress them according to the instructions.  No problems at all.  The youngest has 9000 rounds through it with zero failures.

I think changing springs that often is a bit overkill, kinda like the change oil every 3k miles BS. I would say just make sure both springs are in there. 

The other thing I think people may be overlooking is actually removing the extractor to clean it every 1-2k rounds. This is very important since powder can disturb the functioning of the extractor. Please don't ask me how I found this out. 

Use both springs.

Clean extractor hook from any build up.

Clean extractor channel with Qtips.

Ensure no firing pin housing fitment issues as the extractor needs to move.

Chang springs every 120k

From my part checklist.

16 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I think changing springs that often is a bit overkill, kinda like the change oil every 3k miles BS. I would say just make sure both springs are in there. 

The other thing I think people may be overlooking is actually removing the extractor to clean it every 1-2k rounds. This is very important since powder can disturb the functioning of the extractor. Please don't ask me how I found this out. 

Yep. I found out the same time a long time ago. Didn’t even know you were supposed to take it out. Channel gets nasty especially with a Limcat with internal slide lightening and exposed/open channel.

I have one gun that only had one spring in, and it had a tendency to eat spring caps. My second gun has both springs in but low round count so far. I am going to put both springs in the first gun and see how things change. Overall I've had good luck with them, as long as you keep them clean.

Edited by sc68cal

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 9:22 PM, chevrofreak said:

Every 2k put a new spring in the rear and rotate the previous one to the front. 

Seems a bit excessive.  I changed mine after about 12k.  Every two would be twice a month for me.

Edited by corny

The aftec is pretty sensitive to the extractor tunnel being the right diameter as well.

Best to use gauge pins and a reamer and make sure it's minimum .207 to around .210.

Some slides are too small and need reamed out.  Not sure what you would do if it's too big.

I think there is a dimension from the firing pin hole to the inside of the extractor tunnel that

has to be right when the slide is made also. 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:43 PM, Rambo329 said:

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have had a chance to shoot the gun since adding the second spring and it’s running amazing again. Thank you all

I would recommend changing the springs at the beginning of every shooting season just to be safe.