Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI Base Pads on MBX tubes?

aandabooks

Will they fit?  I have some Gen 1 STI mags that I'm going to put on some new base pads on to get away from the Dawson SNL pads.  I want to use these for dryfire and backup mags.  Plan to order MBX tubes for an upcoming open gun I'm having built.  Might be ordering SVI mags and will those basepads fit on STI tubes?

Matt, I have some STI gen 1 mags and some MBX mags. I tried taking an MBX pad and put it on the STI tube. While it certainly fits on the tube, the way the lips on the bottom of the STI tube are cut back the retention pin on the MBX mag is sloppy, so the pad is loose. Does it fit...yes. Would it work...probably. It would however look and sound sloppy.

Now I am ready to order some mags and have the basepad issue straight in my head.  Here is the next question: Piece together the MBX mags with Grams internals or do the same with Infinity mags but use TTI basepads?  Seems that the common opinion is that the MBX guts are not as good as Grams but what about the Infinity guts?

MBX people will tell you never to use Grams Internals with their magazine tubes. They will recommend that you use MBX internals. 

By the way, the Gen 1 STI magazines are the best around, why use them for practice? Get them tuned and keep using them. That would be my suggestion. Since switching from MBX to STI (2nd generation) I have had ZERO issues. 

17 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

MBX people will tell you never to use Grams Internals with their magazine tubes. They will recommend that you use MBX internals. 

By the way, the Gen 1 STI magazines are the best around, why use them for practice? Get them tuned and keep using them. That would be my suggestion. Since switching from MBX to STI (2nd generation) I have had ZERO issues. 

I am going to put new basepads on the Gen 1s.  I guess I've just had it in my head that since they are Gen 1s and there are newer stuff available they must not be that good.  Maybe I'll take a look at just buying Gen 2s.  Would certainly save me some money.  I have Gen 2s in .40 with Grams internals and they run great.  Don't know that it makes a difference but these will be used with an LSI steel grip.

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

I am going to put new basepads on the Gen 1s.  I guess I've just had it in my head that since they are Gen 1s and there are newer stuff available they must not be that good.  Maybe I'll take a look at just buying Gen 2s.  Would certainly save me some money.  I have Gen 2s in .40 with Grams internals and they run great.  Don't know that it makes a difference but these will be used with an LSI steel grip.

I would also recommend Dawson's STI magazine tuning kit. (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-sti-2011-hicap-magazine-tuning-kit/) Since getting this kit, I have been able to keep my magazines running in tip top shape. 

What people don't seem to understand, and those who certainly bought into the MBX Kool-aid, is that these magazine get out of shape and out of tune over time. Especially during heavy usage periods. Dropping these things on the ground half full or them constantly loading our handguns really takes its toll. Eventually, they need to be checked and tuned. This Dawson kit will save you a lot of money and frustration.