Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What bullet weights?

nhyrum

When loading for major pf in open, if you could just as easily load a 115 to 175 pf and a 150 to 175, which would you pick? Is it just entirely dependant on how the gun handles? I would think the heavier bullet would have softer felt recoil, but would also not do so well on longer targets.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You're not gonna have long enough targets for ballistics to matter.
For Open,, light bullets with slow powders, becaus ein open you have a compensator, you need gas for it to work, So more powder which means lighter bullet.
For non comped games most run heavier bullet, using less powder for less recoil.
Its all about the compensator

I’m running a G17 open build with Carver Major Comp, so I know it’s not apples to apples (and people will tell me I’m dumb for running a Glock in open) but after trying several combos in 124gr bullets I settled on 115gr RMR JHP with a max charge of Silhouette. Which comes to about 7.8 grs 1492 FPS 11.9 SD / 43 ES. Loaded to 1.150”. Shot the flattest and most accurate out of all combos tried. I tried 147’s as well, and HS-6, but this combo was the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, my issue is actually with the comp... I've got the huge egw like 9 Port comp. I can REALLY feel it pushing the gun down (it's a 9x25 Dillon, which from what I've read is very common) I should have gone with a smaller comp. I've got about as light a spring as I'd want to run as well, and I don't think it's a spring issue. At the moment I don't really have the funds to get a new comp fitted. So I was going to run some heavier bullets to hopefully fix that.

I know, I know, 9x25 is old and outdated. But I love it, I'm not competitive, yet, for it to matter, etc. etc.

Right now I'm running 115's over 17 grains h110. It's a lot of gas. I was thinking of running the 147's over 10 ish vv 3n38

yeh tthats a heck of a charge of really slow powder.  Not familiar with the round, but Id say go to a faster powder, ,, Dang I bet that thing is loud,,, You could drop down to Longshot (AKA loudshot) and be quieter I bet.

4 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

yeh tthats a heck of a charge of really slow powder.  Not familiar with the round, but Id say go to a faster powder, ,, Dang I bet that thing is loud,,, You could drop down to Longshot (AKA loudshot) and be quieter I bet.

9X25 is easily the loudest open gun one will ever hear. 

well of course, cause after u heard it everything would be quieter except the permanent ringing,,,, LOL

Just looked this up,, a 10mm bottleneck,,, really makes no sense to me for  USPSA,,, these days. I think it came out when PF was higher

9X25 is easily the loudest open gun one will ever hear. 
Out in the open, it's not bad. I'm not shooting 95 grain bullets close to 2000 fps like they used to in the day. But if I'm shooting under a covered range, I double up on ear protection.

I've got a big jug of 3n38 and, well... A nice mold for a 150 grain bullet, that I think powder coated I shouldn't get much leading in the comp if I keep them at or under 1200 they should be fine. I think that a heavier bullet with the faster powder, I should still keep good ejection, and not have the issue of it dipping. But, maybe it's just me not being used to the gun recoiling straight back.

well of course, cause after u heard it everything would be quieter except the permanent ringing,,,, LOL
Just looked this up,, a 10mm bottleneck,,, really makes no sense to me for  USPSA,,, these days. I think it came out when PF was higher
Yeah, it was when pf was higher. It was sort of popular for a few years, then they lowered the power factor and it died. But I like them oddballs. Yeah it limits my capacity and finding mags, but I like it

There is no rule that says every port in your comp has to work.  I don't like the heavy bullets for Open,  First, it feels like everything is happening in slow motion.  Second, recoil is harsher because the comp is not worked effectively.  I would stay with 115 or 124gr bullets and go to a faster powder.  Personally, I use Major Pistol powder.  Since you have 3N38, use it.  You'll like it.