Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low sun angle and red dot optics

GJM

I am lucky enough to spend some winter months in Arizona, which means lot of sunshine. It also means low sun angles in the winter, and as a CO shooter have learned the hard way that low sun angles can create issues with your red dot. Based on discussions here and elsewhere, I decided to take pictures of the RMR, Acro, RMSc, SRO, RTS2 and Romeo 3 Max with unfavorable sun angles, to show what you might expect, as the optics vary quite a bit in how they are affected by low sun angles. I forgot to take a picture of the DP Pro, but will comment on it later. 

I tried to start with a clean lens, as debris on the lens makes low sun angles worse. Also, imperfections in the lens, like you might get after the lens is hit by brass, make low sun angles worse. 

The RMR in my experience is quite bad with a low sun angle, and you might get a whole flock of dots. The DP Pro is only slightly better than the RMR, but mine have been shot a lot and have buggered up front lenses which make things worse. I am going to break the different optics up into different posts, as I don’t know how to organize the photos otherwise. 

C2028271-2DA9-4AE1-BA9C-2DB02D82DB3C.jpeg

In summary, I have found a clean lens is better, as is a lens without imperfections from repeated hits by brass. The different optics are quite different in a low sun angle with the Romeo 3 Max and RTS2 the best I have tried in those conditions, and the RMR and DP Pro being much more prone to multiple dots. I still remember on the first stage of a local match a year or so ago, using a DP Pro with a low sun angle, when I aimed at a popper and the one two feet to the right fell down, as I picked the wrong dot in the display. 

I found making a little shade roof for the dot module on the SRO using a paster worked to eliminate the dot-doubling unless I was shooting right at the sun.  In the SRO case the extra dot comes from a reflection off the emitter-window which may be whats going on with the others and why old-school C-mores don't have it.

I don't get double dots on my SRO at any sun angle, unless I'm pointing it at a bright spot in the sky and looking through it at an angle.  Even then the dot is easy to pick out, because the reflection is obvious.  I also like it because the dot doesn't bloom like a DPP when set to max brightness.

• 2 months later...