Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
minnesota1

What's your IDPA Setup?

What is your current legal IDPA Revolver setup?  I have a 4" 625 (not sure if that is still a good one for IDPA).  It's setup for moon clips.  I'd like to know what belts everyone is using, what is legal for holding your moonclips in, how many moonclips you can carry on your belt, holster, etc etc.  

Thanks for your kind responses. 

I'm shooting a 4" 686 I made into a 646. That's a .40 S&W. I have my .100 wide front orange and green rear fiber optic sights on all my iron sight guns, the same sights I sell on this forum.  It works really well for IDPA. It's like a 3/4 size 625, which is also a good choice. Reloads are really fast with either one. You can have 2 moonclips in front of the holster, 1 behind. I'm using a Galco #L159HOD-FL104B. I like it pretty well. My 4" 625 also fits in it.

Edited by Toolguy

I have a 625JM and I use California Competition “Shoot the Moon” moonclip holders. I have two in front of my Bladetech holster. I use a leather gun belt. The best thing you can do chamfer the charge holes. I had TK Custom do mine.

I did put a fiber optic front sight on not and a new rear blade. Also used a Jerry Miculek spring kit and since I have large hands I have X-frame Hogue rubber grips.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/moonclip-accessories/shoot-a-moon-clip-prod4147.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have the third moonclip holder behind the holster, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

625 with Bowen rear, FO front, 10mm Dave short release.  North Mountain holders, one behind week side hip, and TK moons.  I also run 230 gr Blue Bullet RN over Trail Boss.

I use a 66-5 with Bowen rear sight ,Dawson FO front sight in a Ready Tactical holster . For speedloaders I use JET that have been bubbaized in Ready Tactical holders . 38 Special loaded with 165 gr. Ibejiheads LRN over 2.9 grs RS Competition and Federal primers .

In winter and muddy weather I use a 625 or 610 with moonclips to make it easier to retrieve brass .

Edited by eggman
spelling

I was debating whether or not to reply to the thread as the last time I did this I caught all kinds of grief, but not from this forum.

I am in the Revolver minority with regards to equipment.

Stone Stock S&W 686.

Safariland J-GL8S III speed loaders.

Factory ammo that's on sale in bulk.  (Yes, it even makes PF in ICORE)

Plain Fobus LK-4 holster.

Yes, you can make Master in IDPA if you can reload.   The reloads take a LOT of time to practice and several Band-Aids to fix your hands.

If you're not bleeding, you're not practicing those reloads enough!!

The 686 is very accurate right out of the box and seeing how IDPA has the six round capacity limit, it's a perfect fit.

A Ruger GP-100 is my backup should the 686 crap out during a match.  It hasn't so far.

AD

325 Thunder Ranch with the rail removed.  Loaded with 45 GAP brass, or ACP brass, and a 185/200 coated RN bullet for a 160 PF.  In an old, out of production, Comp-Tac IWB holster.  I actually EDC this rig/gun with 230 HST's.

But have a GP100 with Sarariland Comp III Speed Loaders in either the Comp-Tac IWB or a Blade Tech OWB holster that I might play with this year.  PF of 105 vs 155?  Might be fun.

I run a Model 66 with Toolguys .10" FO front in a Safariland 568 paddle. Comp 3 SLs and pouches I think are Ready Tactical. Been a while since I bought them.

Since the 625 is a bit big for my stubby fingers, and 646s are too damned expensive, I'm contemplating a switch to my GP100 MC 10mm in a Garret Industries Silent Thunder. I really dig this holster.

Thus far, I havent seen that my reloads from moons are significantly faster.

I run a 686SSR with Comp III speed loaders and a holster and speed loader holders made by Master Tac. I run two speed loaders in front of the holster and a third behind the holster.

It's simple and it works.

IMG-4140-1.jpg

I don't know how you guys carry strong-side reloads. They get in the way of my draw.

7 hours ago, FWSixgunner said:

I don't know how you guys carry strong-side reloads. They get in the way of my draw.

Got a photo of your setup?

I can have Safariland 3 speedloaders pretty close in front of the holster, and they do not disturb anything.