Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Slide4949

mounting a red dot

When installing a mount for a red dot on a open gun do you use red, blue loctite  or some other type of product

Do you use a lot or just a little

Edited by Slide4949

Never red, in case you have to remove it. Just a little blue works great. 

I don't use any at all.  I bought super high quality screws.  I torque them down and they don't move.  If you have cause to ever remove them, throw them away and use new.  Reaally torquing them down stretches the threads and they don't hold as well the second time.

If I were ever to use Loctite, I'd use Purple.  It is a little weaker than Blue.

Normal procedure is red for mount to frame. Blue for dot to mount. The blue will hold well and you just loosen the bolts as normal. The red will need a little pencil torch to kill the red. I have never had one come loose and have changed them both out many times

Blue only. I absolutely hate when a builder ships a gun with red loctite.

I use blue and have never  had them come loose.

I have used blue lock tite on my serendipity open gun mount and on my Ruger MKIII and 10/22 mounts that a C-More railway attaches to. As long as the screws are cleaned with a solvent prior to applying the lock tite to remove any grease/oil or old dried lock tite I have never had a problem with them working loose. Same with the Vortex rings on my Ruger 6mm creedmoor precision rifle. 

On 1/19/2020 at 5:04 PM, lacivilian said:

Blue only. I absolutely hate when a builder ships a gun with red loctite.

I know your pain... we did some service work for a collection that went through a house fire (his safe worked like it should) and everything had red. One scope mount was super glued.. needless to say, I broke those screws.