Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RDS Question

CStockwell

Question for the guys running red dots on shotguns - how effective is a RDS on a shotgun when you have to hit flying clays? At the matches I shoot, there's usually pistol poppers that throw up a clay when you shoot the popper. So shoot popper, clay flies up in the air, shoot clay in the air.

I can see the advantage of a RDS on stationary targets, but I don't know how a RDS would be better/worse than a bead for flying ones. I'm currently running a 930 JM Pro with bead.

I am running a dot with my Beretta 1301. Generally it's great with slugs and buckshot and does increase my accuracy during difficult shots with birdshot but it does make me a bit slower on conventional birdshot stages.

I see no problem with the type of "slow" flying clays you mentioned but for trap/skeet type of flying clays a red dot will hurt my shooting.

9 hours ago, Slowmisses said:

I am running a dot with my Beretta 1301. Generally it's great with slugs and buckshot and does increase my accuracy during difficult shots with birdshot but it does make me a bit slower on conventional birdshot stages.

I see no problem with the type of "slow" flying clays you mentioned but for trap/skeet type of flying clays a red dot will hurt my shooting.

Ok, good to know. I usually hit clays pretty decently, so I'll start looking into one. The matches I shoot don't have any trap, skeet, or sporting clays levels of flying clays. The clays move pretty slow and in a predictable vertical pattern. Just wanted to make sure a RDS wouldn't be a handicap for those clays.

Been using a red dot on the shotgun for many years. I mainly want it for slugs at distance, much more accurate than a bead. A lot of times I will not even turn my red dot on, just use the fiber optic bead. For flyers you have to be careful and not "aim" at the clay but instead use the red dot as a bead, if that makes sense. Aiming will usually result in aiming directly at the clay. 

But with a little practice you can shoot fliers just as well as using the bead. 

You may want to look at a circle dot sight. I have been running a venom for the last couple of years but will be trying out a circle dot this year. I am a little slower on stationary clays than I would like to be. my thinking is a circle dot will give me a point of reference (edge of circle) when dragging across the clay and still have the dot for more precise targets.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, Don_B said:

Been using a red dot on the shotgun for many years. I mainly want it for slugs at distance, much more accurate than a bead. A lot of times I will not even turn my red dot on, just use the fiber optic bead. For flyers you have to be careful and not "aim" at the clay but instead use the red dot as a bead, if that makes sense. Aiming will usually result in aiming directly at the clay. 

But with a little practice you can shoot fliers just as well as using the bead. 

I should clarify my statement about sometimes not turning the red dot on. Sometimes I will use the bead for birdshot targets, steel or clays.