Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal NT primer pockets

Mike21STI

I'm loading .40 on a dillon 650.  I have an issue with brass stamped federal NT.  The primer always gives me issues while attempting to seat them.  The pockets seem to be too tight.  I'm using cci small pistol primers.  Has anyone else experienced this?   If so, should I try swaging them or just toss that brass and move on?

I'm loading .40 on a dillon 650.  I have an issue with brass stamped federal NT.  The primer always gives me issues while attempting to seat them.  The pockets seem to be too tight.  I'm using cci small pistol primers.  Has anyone else experienced this?   If so, should I try swaging them or just toss that brass and move on?
Same issue, i either hand prime or pitch. If i do reload them i put them in my "do not pickup when at range" ammo box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I used to get tons of military 9mm brass with crimped primer pockets, Id separate it out and hand ream it before it went into the reload pile.
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloading-Primer-Pocket-Reamer/dp/B000NOOQY4
I imagine you could do the same.
Also I see 650, vs my 550. IIRC one of the big advantages back in the day with the 650 was it could use the extra station to deal with the militarybrass stuff. Maybe thats all you need.
Another issue.. CCI's are either harder or out of round,, or at least used to be and take more effort to load. Maybe try winchester or federal primers.

4 hours ago, Mike21STI said:

Crimped pocket. I load them in 9mm after reaming the primer pocket.

On 1/18/2020 at 5:18 PM, Joe4d said:

I used to get tons of military 9mm brass with crimped primer pockets, Id separate it out and hand ream it before it went into the reload pile.
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloading-Primer-Pocket-Reamer/dp/B000NOOQY4
I imagine you could do the same.
Also I see 650, vs my 550. IIRC one of the big advantages back in the day with the 650 was it could use the extra station to deal with the militarybrass stuff. Maybe thats all you need.
Another issue.. CCI's are either harder or out of round,, or at least used to be and take more effort to load. Maybe try winchester or federal primers.

Thanks, I'll separate that brass and run it through the reamer that you recommended.  

Yup hit them on my rcbs anti-crimp die and they work just fine after that
OK, i will start googling it but plz post RCBS Anti-crimp die part number in case i cant find it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk