Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LRBHO - any downside?

what if any downside is there to having a LRBHO feature on a glock magazine lower receiver?  reliability, functionality, something else?

i'm looking at some receivers that have this and some that don't.  my opinion is that with the mega-mags one should be reloading at some point before going empty, but i guess the LRBHO feature is nice if one runs empty.

1 hour ago, ziebart said:

Most people are short stroking their guns so a hold open doesn't help. I shorted mine just enough to be able to lock it open at make ready. It is nice to be able to use the gun as intended.

JP and several others have short stoke factory bolts now to work with LRBHO.

@davscoNo disadvantage to a LRBHO on a PCC. All I use mine for is a convenient way to flag or make ready. 

12 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

JP and several others have short stoke factory bolts with LRBHO.

This is what I run, the bolt is great to lock back with a short stroke set up, but I don’t have the LRBHO set up for mags. Before I ever got the JP bolt my LRBHO would not work on a constant basis so I ditched it. Only time I lock my bolt back is to insert or remove the chamber flag. 

11 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

JP and several others have short stoke factory bolts now to work with LRBHO.

@davscoNo disadvantage to a LRBHO on a PCC. All I use mine for is a convenient way to flag or make ready. 

Did the same thing, short stroked just enough that it can hold open for the make ready, had a plastic real avid safety flag (my dumb mistake forgot my others) bolt closed plastic lodged deep in the barrel .

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always considered lrbho and being able to lock back the bolt with the bolt catch (whether the mag was empty or not) as two different things. While true, having a short stroke setup can make locking the bolt back a little more difficult, you can still usually do that even though your gun is ss and lrbho does not function.

Egd5,

You are right they are different. My 2011 won't lock back on an empty mag, but i can still lock the slide back. On my PCC of i have it running razor edge I can't even lock the bolt back manually.

One older disadvantage of the LRBHO was it getting beat up from the bolt coming back at too high speed. It is mitigated by slightly shorting the system.