Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Bags - Watcha Guys Got?

anonymouscuban

Midway duffle the main compartment is large with a open center and 2 inner pouches , one side has a long pocket with storage for 8 mags. The other side has 2 pockets with space for pens ect I use one pocket for spare parts and tools, the other pocket for sun screen, bug spray, oil, paint pens, and other items like that. 

I got a Safariland backpack a few weeks ago and am really liking it. I've got some back issues and a backpack is a lot easier to carry without pain for me.  The layout of the safariland is nice,  and it comes with a double pistol bag that doesnt take up much space.

*****UPDATE******

You guys came though with a lot of great recommendations and things to consider. I was originally leaning towards a backpack style. However, i realized that a duffle style would serve me better. Most of my shooting doesn't require hiking or trekking with my gear. At USPSA matches I pull a cart so the duffle is just easier to access stuff with the bag in a cart.

I watched a lot of online videos and read reviews on all the duffles suggested and top bag lists on the internet. I ended up getting the G.P.S. Wild About Shooting large range bag. Just got it today.

I paid $69 for it on Amazon. Everyone else had it for $89-99. Even other listings on Amazon. Price was definitely right.

The bag is very well made. It's like a coated canvas material. Thick. Has an internal lining that is water resistant. There is padding between. Zippers and stitches seem tough. Plenty of pockets and all are labeled with icons to show what they for. Very well thought out bag. There is a dedicated place for each of the items I carry. Seems very easy to stay organized. Nice part is I can carry everything I need for both matches and practice sessions without having to ever unpack/repack stuff. Nice to just grab my back and go.

Here are some pics I took with it empty. I will share more once I set it up.
78a4f53192301546af5533f9afc000f9.jpg
7b952935d43e848acf61041a1f0c9cef.jpg
9761d0ec65496fc9dbb6d05f63f1a352.jpg
bf8f81fd73ec9ded57ecff5ea9a8160b.jpg
2cd179926952482370ca69dc63b02333.jpg
331c74a48958c23a8d21f5daa30bb61e.jpg
19326fbfcc84281a072517de873f7b8a.jpg
7d6f164c5bd4f9779ac6de343d372301.jpg
22c6b32692072ce6a2248676bafa1d5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Looks like a good bag! The dedicated/labeled pouches remind me of the one from DAA.

Personally, I'm running a Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Pack, Tactical(that's a mouthful!) for USPSA and hunting. It also works as a carry-on bag on most flights if you don't stuff it completely full. It's held up really well, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

For 3-gun, I've been using a tool bag from Home Depot or Lowes, which sounds kind of similar to the electrician's bag @XDoctor mentioned. Don't remember the brand or dimensions, but the tool pockets around the outside and inside work great for mags, and everything else fits in the main "compartment" of the bag. It came with a shoulder strap that seems sturdy enough, and it fits everything I need for a club match.

Normal loadout for USPSA in backpack - 1gal water jug, 10 loaded mags, pistol in a soft case, ear & eye pro, 200-300rd 9mm, gloves, hat, bandaids, snacks, screwdriver, squib rod, and I use one of the cinch straps to hold my belt when I'm not wearing it.

Normal loadout for 3-gun, in tool bag - 5 loaded 140mm mags, choke tube case and wrench, eye & ear pro, 100rd 9mm, 100rd .223, two boxes of birdshot, one small box of turkey loads, screwdriver, simple spares kit, chamber flags, 2-3 loaded 30rd mags, a 30rd/40rd coupled pair, a D60(not because I need it, but because it's fun :D ), gloves, snacks, and gatoraid(carrying my water jug). I could, admittedly, not bring the extra 9 and .223, spare chokes, and turkey loads, but because this way I don't have to go back to my car to get anything.

10 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

*****UPDATE******

You guys came though with a lot of great recommendations and things to consider. I was originally leaning towards a backpack style. However, i realized that a duffle style would serve me better. Most of my shooting doesn't require hiking or trekking with my gear. At USPSA matches I pull a cart so the duffle is just easier to access stuff with the bag in a cart.

I watched a lot of online videos and read reviews on all the duffles suggested and top bag lists on the internet. I ended up getting the G.P.S. Wild About Shooting large range bag. Just got it today.

I paid $69 for it on Amazon. Everyone else had it for $89-99. Even other listings on Amazon. Price was definitely right.

The bag is very well made. It's like a coated canvas material. Thick. Has an internal lining that is water resistant. There is padding between. Zippers and stitches seem tough. Plenty of pockets and all are labeled with icons to show what they for. Very well thought out bag. There is a dedicated place for each of the items I carry. Seems very easy to stay organized. Nice part is I can carry everything I need for both matches and practice sessions without having to ever unpack/repack stuff. Nice to just grab my back and go.

Here are some pics I took with it empty. I will share more once I set it up.
78a4f53192301546af5533f9afc000f9.jpg
7b952935d43e848acf61041a1f0c9cef.jpg
9761d0ec65496fc9dbb6d05f63f1a352.jpg
bf8f81fd73ec9ded57ecff5ea9a8160b.jpg
2cd179926952482370ca69dc63b02333.jpg
331c74a48958c23a8d21f5daa30bb61e.jpg
19326fbfcc84281a072517de873f7b8a.jpg
7d6f164c5bd4f9779ac6de343d372301.jpg
22c6b32692072ce6a2248676bafa1d5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Like the GPS bags as well, I have the Tall Backpack with one of there 10 round pistol mag carrier inside. 

I won a shooters connection bag from a prize table a few months ago and that thing has been awesome. I'd highly recommend one. They also come with a smaller inner bag as well as a brass bag with an integrated dirt filter. They're not too bulky but they've got a lot of compartments and can hold plenty. 

I have  the CED range  bag which if I'm not mistaken is the same as the shooter's connection or very similar.  I used the CED range bag with Dillon boarder shift ammo bag it fit nicely in the compartment of the CED bag.  I pretty kept everything essential in the Dillon bag that i would use on a stage such as extra mags, mag brush, ammo etc. and just leave my range bag with extra guns/parts in my truck.   I used this set up for about 6 years until I picked up a medium Double Alpha backpack off of a prize table.  The back pack IMO is the way to go.  The only draw back of the back pack is if you shoot production or SS you might have a problem with the back pack hitting some of your mags if you don't take the mags off your belt when walking between stages.

Also, IMO some type of cart whether it is wagon, 3 gun buggy or jogging stroller is a must have if you're going to be lugging around full range bag unless you shoot at very compact range.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a LOT of bags. Shooters Connection range bag, CED range bag, GPS backpack, DAA backpack, and a 5.11 Rush 24.

This is absolutely favourite, and I won't be looking for the next best thing anymore. Hold everything I need, and does it well. The Safariland shooters range backpack.

Fits nicely into the overhead bin of a regional jet too!

K88uSMQ.jpg

jjPAo5s.jpg

I have DAA lg an medium back pack. I use cart they both work well. I have shooters connection back pack I think they no longer make but is great. An shooters connection bag it’s huge I really like it also. I just realized I may have issues with having to many range bags

Sounds like you have all of them except for the Safariland. Haha

2 minutes ago, 36873687 said:

I have DAA lg an medium back pack. I use cart they both work well. I have shooters connection back pack I think they no longer make but is great. An shooters connection bag it’s huge I really like it also. I just realized I may have issues with having to many range bags

On 2/3/2020 at 10:31 PM, Unregistered said:

Fits nicely into the overhead bin of a regional jet too!

I needed an additional bag on an international business trip.  Grabbed one of my range bags, put my extra work stuff in it and didn't think more about it.  While clearing security in the EU they noticed a tiny metal blip on the x-ray. It happened to be a .22 LR round that had gotten buried in the seams/stitching of the bag.  As all ammunition is regulated in EU (think IL FOID or recently CA laws) it turned into quite a s#!t show, all over a .22 cartridge.

From now on, my range bags and travel gear are kept distinctly separate. 

Edited by muncie21