Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Bags - Watcha Guys Got?

anonymouscuban

Need a new range bag. Would like something that will accommodate my USPSA competition gear. Something not too bulky. Typical stuff. Two pistols, ammo, ear and eye pro, mags, first aid, etc. Plus would be some way to hold my belt rig.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

Need a new range bag. Would like something that will accommodate my USPSA competition gear. Something not too bulky. Typical stuff. Two pistols, ammo, ear and eye pro, mags, first aid, etc. Plus would be some way to hold my belt rig.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I love my DAA PRO Backpack but it’s so big I keep it on a cart. If you want to carry in the hands get a Shooters connection bag. If you want it on your back get the DAA medium backpack.

I love my DAA PRO Backpack but it’s so big I keep it on a cart. If you want to carry in the hands get a Shooters connection bag. If you want it on your back get the DAA medium backpack.
Cool. I was eyeballing both of them. I was also looking at one sold by Midway that's a duffle type similar to the CED comp range bag. I also roll a cart at matches but not when I practice so want something i can easily carry.

I have the competition Midway bag, had it for about 6 years now. Up until this past year I carried it but after I got into 3 gun I bought a folding wagon to haul all my gear.

I also only paid like 40 bucks for it at the time, so I think it's a great bag for the money.

Edited by Intheshaw1
Spelling

I have the competition Midway bag, had it for about 6 years now. Up until this past year I carried it but after I got into 3 gun I bought a folding wagon to haul all my gear.

I also only pains like 40 bucks for it at the time, so I think it's a great bag for the money.
The Midway looks like a great value. Leaning towards it right now.

52 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

They work. I have all of them, Midway , Shooters Connection etc. Midway is Kia but SC Lexus. Midway gets the job done but you’ll feel like upgrading eventually

I've had the Midway one for years now, and it's still holding up great. Most of the range bags I've seen are all pretty much the same design. Probably all coming from the same 3 factories over seas...

The only advice I can give you is be careful with the size. The bigger the bag you get, you end up filling it up with more and more stuff!

I've had the Midway one for years now, and it's still holding up great. Most of the range bags I've seen are all pretty much the same design. Probably all coming from the same 3 factories over seas...

The only advice I can give you is be careful with the size. The bigger the bag you get, you end up filling it up with more and more stuff!
SC bag is about twice as sturdy and the Midway bag. Same design, different thickness.
Ok. I think this answers the question I had... what makes the SC bag an "upgrade" over Midway.

Had Midway, Shooters Connection and now use an Eberlestock R3 Ranger Up backpack. As I get older a backpack is a lot easier and more balanced to walk distances with, the Eberlestock is expensive but superb quality. I also like that it's a back opener with a plastic skid plate on the outside of the pack where you set it down on wet/dirty surfaces. Keeps everything clean and it has dividers like a camera case so everything is organized and well protected. It's also $300 but I got mine on sale. 

Midway is fine but stitching is spotty, had their 3-gun bag handles come apart with a normal load of 3 guns. But inexpensive and perfectly usable, especially if you repair it once in a while. 

Shooters Connection is a great bag but I think it's too large and encourage you to carry more than you need. Great value though, a lot of bag for the money and good people to buy from. Glenn Eberlesole doesn't suffer fools like me even though I'm a good customer 😜

Edited by Frankly

I went through several bags and packs.  This is the one I use now.  https://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/tactical-range-back.html  Normally I put it on my stroller 'gun cart' along with the other stuff I carry.  If I am just going to the range for practice, I sling it over a shoulder.  I particularly like this one because it has dedicated pockets for a lot of stuff.  It carries everything I need for a two gun match, including mags and ammo.  I do use the included padded gun bags for guns that fit in.  For my Open guns and mags I use the DAA sleeves.  Personally, I like this bag a lot better than the DAA bags or packs.  I bought mine on Amazon.

Edited by zzt

Had Midway, Shooters Connection and now use an Eberlestock R3 Ranger Up backpack. As I get older a backpack is a lot easier and more balanced to walk distances with, the Eberlestock is expensive but superb quality. I also like that it's a back opener with a plastic skid plate on the outside of the pack where you set it down on wet/dirty surfaces. Keeps everything clean and it has dividers like a camera case so everything is organized and well protected. It's also $300 but I got mine on sale. 

Midway is fine but stitching is spotty, had their 3-gun bag handles come apart with a normal load of 3 guns. But inexpensive and perfectly usable, especially if you repair it once in a while. 

Shooters Connection is a great bag but I think it's too large and encourage you to carry more than you need. Great value though, a lot of bag for the money and good people to buy from. Glenn Eberlesole doesn't suffer fools like me even though I'm a good customer [emoji12]
I don't mind spending money on a good bag. My other passion is photography and I've spent several thousand on all the bags I've owned over the years. I have some bags that cost $500. Photography is one hobby that gives firearms a run for cost. The current tripod I use cost me close to $2000 alone.

2 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

Ok. I think this answers the question I had... what makes the SC bag an "upgrade" over Midway.

You would have to put your hands on both to see the difference in build quality.

5 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

I have the midway you can’t beat the price. Size is perfect. They usually have free shipping on the bags also. 

I carried a large Shooters Connection bag and it seemed to just get heavier and heavier. Maybe I’m just getting too old. Now I use a Zuca cart and will never go back to carrying anything. They are a disc golf based cart but also make them to be used for shooting sports. Check them out if you don’t want to carry a bag! 

The wife bought me this one for Christmas. I love it, very nice. Fits everything a normal person would need for a range session. I really like the classical look vs the more "tactical" range bags. All though I do have a pretty tac'd out backpack.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018295563?pid=647317

Edited by Abominator

I have the SC bag and it's very nice. The quality of the zippers, the reinforced stitching, and the bulk of the material is very heavy duty.

My only thing with it is that despite it's large size, the amount of space in the main compartment is a little underwhelming.

That being said, however, if I wanted anything bigger, I dont think that exists outside of switching to a backpack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I went through a bunch of them, and ended up with an electrician's tool bag.  It had a small parts kit in the bottom of it, and I took that out and it's just the right size for a little hard sided pistol case.  Has lots of small pouches for parts and pieces, and elastic loops to hold mags.  It does a great job.