Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

2 hours ago, RJH said:

Sorry but that is pure speculation.   I see many people shoot PCC as a secondary division, but I have literally never seen anyone shoot revolver in conjunction with any other gun at  a USPSA match.  Some of our locals allow people to shoot in 2 divisions and I have seen pretty much every combo possible EXCEPT revolver and anything else.

Misunderstanding - what I mean is that there would be more shooters if Revolver match was attached to another match and one could shoot it as a second match, not by switching gear on each stage. PCC is actually naturally suited to be a secondary division within single match since it doesn't need holster. Much like shooting Production/CO or Limited/Open with the same brand of gun. 

And you're correct, it's speculation because we only have older data. However, it's still an educated guess based on my local club (100+ shooters in each match) where every single shooter who is classified in Revolver also shoots another division as the primary division. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/13/2020 at 6:16 PM, RJH said:

...I have literally never seen anyone shoot revolver in conjunction with any other gun at  a USPSA match.

That's not a "want to" thing, it's a belt thing. 

23 minutes ago, cas said:

That's not a "want to" thing, it's a belt thing. 

Not a huge deal, the guys that swap sometimes have 2 outer belts, unvelcro one outer with everything attached then revelcro to the next rig with everything attached.  Having to make a separate day after match to try to get people to shoot revolver is just another reason to dump it all together. No other division needs or gets that special treatment,  people either shoot it or they don't.  If people are not dedicated enough to revolver to make it their primary gun, that is cause they would rather be shooting something else, and it appears 99. 99% of people who shoot uspsa don't want to shoot revolver.  Which makes revolver division superfluous in uspsa. Dump it and shoot your 8 shooters in production,  or let them shoot major and toss them in with singe stack, until it suffers the same fate 

What is the great benefit to your life in making other people stop shooting revolver? 

It can't be "nobody shoots it" AND "it's hurting the sport".

How much can it be hurting the sport if nobody shoots it? 

10 minutes ago, cas said:

What is the great benefit to your life in making other people stop shooting revolver? 

Never said people would have to stop shooting revolver, please look back at all my post

10 minutes ago, cas said:

It can't be "nobody shoots it" AND "it's hurting the sport".

How much can it be hurting the sport if nobody shoots it? 

I have already posted some responses to this type of question above but think of it like this:  If no one uses something do do you leave it in the corner collecting dust or toss it out? I am beginning to think revolver diehards are hoarders haha

Also in this, and many other threads, many revolver shooters  brag about beating bottom feeders, now they would have that opportunity for real, instead of having to compare results in the overalls.  And they would have the added advantage of shooting in a division that actually gets recognized.  I am simply trying to help clear the clutter and rip that bandaid off quick:-)

Stage Design.

Back when I started last century, "revolver neutral" was still a design goal for stages.  That meant no more than 6 shots per position (which in those days were mostly boxes on the ground).

Revo dudes were in the minority, and were still disadvantaged due to reload speed, but they were there at most matches and usually not last because their pistols ran better than most semi autos.

Of course not long thereafter the STI frame came along and we were all off to the races and field-courses went from 18 rounds (3 loads with a revo vs 2 for a 1911) to 34 to "make everyone do a reload".

I started IPSC in 1987 and stages were 6 ends per box Max maybe 12 ends & 3 stages.

Then with the 10 rnd 38 Super 4 targets Nd 2 steel started showing up on every stage, again a match would be just 3 stages.

Then it became arevolver Neutral stages which meant 6 ends before a reload but as soon as the Glock 17 appeared holding 18 ends. Stages were getting 24+ ends with mixed paper & steel.

3 stages became 5 stages at club matches but Area Championships would be 10-12 stages and Nats were 15+.

I shot revolver since 1975 and still shoot revolver because it is fun. At 66 I know I am on the downhill side of shooting but my brakes are slowing me down as well as age.

BTW, I also shoot Open with myCaspian 38 Super & 29 rnd mags then 3 Gun with a Benelli long tube SG holding 18, and an AR 15 with big mags. Never was I dumb or stubborn enough to shoot my revolvers when high capacity is the norm.

Shoot for fun! If you think you are going to kick the big dogs butt at a Championship you will find the only butt that will be kicked is your own!

On 2/16/2020 at 5:42 AM, RJH said:

Never said people would have to stop shooting revolver, please look back at all my post

I have already posted some responses to this type of question above but think of it like this:  If no one uses something do do you leave it in the corner collecting dust or toss it out? I am beginning to think revolver diehards are hoarders haha

Also in this, and many other threads, many revolver shooters  brag about beating bottom feeders, now they would have that opportunity for real, instead of having to compare results in the overalls.  And they would have the added advantage of shooting in a division that actually gets recognized.  I am simply trying to help clear the clutter and rip that bandaid off quick:-)

I would definitely shoot revo in USPSA carry optics if it was an option. Personally, I don't think USPSA should remove revo, but regardless of what happens to it, I really want them to open up CO to revo so there's a division where I can shoot a revolver with a dot and get destroyed marginally less than in open. 🤣

2 hours ago, xen0ph0n said:

I would definitely shoot revo in USPSA carry optics if it was an option. Personally, I don't think USPSA should remove revo, but regardless of what happens to it, I really want them to open up CO to revo so there's a division where I can shoot a revolver with a dot and get destroyed marginally less than in open. 🤣

If carry Optics remained 10rnds then an 8 shot Revo would have been a good fit there..  I ran A few steel matches with an optic on my 929 and it was a hell of allot of fun and fairly competitive..  Unfortunatly,  my eyes just need a dot now.....

People who shoot revolver do so because it is fun, challenging, and we get all of our brass back 😁

All of the pompous BS about revos taking longer, its a dying division, we are dinosaurs, we have no competition, ect...ect….is BS. As someone stated previously, revolver shooters come to a match with all their ammo loaded in moons, and typically work more on average taping, scoring, setting steel. Revo shooters typically are not the ones standing behind the line reviewing their helmet cams with their buddies, watching and posting to social media, or generally slacking off while the same small group of people do all the work. If we get rid of a division, we should start with PCC. Rifles have no business being in USPSA...🤪

I have shot revolver for the last 5 years, sometimes well, sometimes not and always with a passion.  I've had some hurtles and let downs, some of my own doing : Like the squib on the second shot of stage 13 of the 2019 IRC.  That added 230 seconds to my total time.  I had a really good match going, at least in the top 8 in limited division.  PFFT... match gone.  The year before I was kicked in the ribs by a horse, bruised badly and diagnosed with kidney cancer 6 days before the 2018 IRC .  Three days before I got on the plane 'v' notched my yoke and the cylinder fell out.  I went with a crane from my 610 put in my 627, spitting lead, shooting 9 inch patterns at 15 yards, a cylinder I had to force closed ; I couldn't breathe a facing a right nephrectomy a day after I got home... I had a very mediocre performance.  Revo nats 2020 I performed poorly the first day, but started to roll halfway through the second. Day three on  the long run stage 2 I left the second position took a step, turned to angle around the wall, stepped in the divit from 3 prior days of shooting and obliterated my medial calf muscle.  As I was falling I was trying to figure out how I shot myself with  an unloaded, cylinder open revolver.  I hit the ground , set the gun down  and looked for the blood.  No blood, but I earned a DQ for putting the gun  hitting the ground.  I was carried off the stage...    Somehow I got crutches, got my gear home and haven't touched a revolver since November 9th.  I spent 10 weeks in an air cast...

I've shot a bit of Steel Challenge in SS, and am learning my way around a cheap Rock Island 10 mm HC by turning it into a low budget 40 cal limited gun.  I picked up an SP 01 and tuned that... Don't know where I'll land, but I'm not shooting Revo again.  I give up.  Nothing could make me shoot revo again:  I'm afraid of what might happen ! 😉

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

3 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I have shot revolver for the last 5 years, sometimes well, sometimes not and always with a passion.  I've had some hurtles and let downs, some of my own doing : Like the squib on the second shot of stage 13 of the 2019 IRC.  That added 230 seconds to my total time.  I had a really good match going, at least in the top 8 in limited division.  PFFT... match gone.  The year before I was kicked in the ribs by a horse, bruised badly and diagnosed with kidney cancer 6 days before the 2018 IRC .  Three days before I got on the plane 'v' notched my yoke and the cylinder fell out.  I went with a crane from my 610 put in my 627, spitting lead, shooting 9 inch patterns at 15 yards, a cylinder I had to force closed ; I couldn't breathe a facing a right nephrectomy a day after I got home... I had a very mediocre performance.  Revo nats 2020 I performed poorly the first day, but started to roll halfway through the second.  The long run stage 2 I left the second position took a step, turned to angle around the wall, stepped in the divit from 3 prior days of shooting and obliterated my medial calf muscle.  As I was falling I was trying to figure out how I shot myself with  an unloaded, cylinder open revolver.  I hit the ground , set the gun down  and looked for the blood.  No blood, but I earned a DQ for putting the gun  hitting the ground.  I was carried off the stage...    Somehow I got crutches, got my gear home and haven't touched a revolver since November 9th.  I spent 10 weeks in an air cast...

I've shot a bit of Steel Challenge in SS, and am learning my way around a cheap Rock Island 10 mm HC by turning it into a low budget 40 cal limited gun.  I picked up an SP 01 and tuned that... Don't know where I'll land, but I'm not shooting Revo again.  I give up.  Nothing could make me shoot revo again:  I'm afraid of what might happen ! 😉

Jason

How did you dq for setting a gun down?  If you set it down and didn't drop it you shouldn't have been dqed

1 minute ago, RJH said:

How did you dq for setting a gun down?  If you set it down and didn't drop it you shouldn't have been dqed

Maybe I did drop it, maybe I broke the 180 when I fell. When I picked it up from my butt, the backstrap was facing the rear berm and the muzzle was breaking the 180.  That in and of itself would DQ me even if I set it down. I didn't realized I had been DQ'ed until quite a bit later.  I think the match MD told me.    So, in retrospect, I was more than likely and properly DQ'ed for breaking the 180.

I couldn't have finished, anyway.  I couldn't walk with a grade three calf tear.

Universe 3/ Revo Jason 0.

I'm done!  LOL

Jason

1 minute ago, Makicjf said:

Maybe I did drop it, maybe I broke the 180 when I fell. When I picked it up from my butt, the backstrap was facing the rear berm and the muzzle was breaking the 180.  That in and of itself would DQ me even if I set it down. I didn't realized I had been DQ'ed until quite a bit later.  I think the match MD told me.    So, in retrospect, I was more than likely and properly DQ'ed for breaking the 180.

I couldn't have finished, anyway.  I couldn't walk with a grade three calf tear.

Universe 3/ Revo Jason 0.

I'm done!  LOL

Jason

Gotcha 🙂 good luck with the low budget limited gun

2 hours ago, Makicjf said:

I have shot revolver for the last 5 years, sometimes well, sometimes not and always with a passion.  I've had some hurtles and let downs, some of my own doing : Like the squib on the second shot of stage 13 of the 2019 IRC.  That added 230 seconds to my total time.  I had a really good match going, at least in the top 8 in limited division.  PFFT... match gone.  The year before I was kicked in the ribs by a horse, bruised badly and diagnosed with kidney cancer 6 days before the 2018 IRC .  Three days before I got on the plane 'v' notched my yoke and the cylinder fell out.  I went with a crane from my 610 put in my 627, spitting lead, shooting 9 inch patterns at 15 yards, a cylinder I had to force closed ; I couldn't breathe a facing a right nephrectomy a day after I got home... I had a very mediocre performance.  Revo nats 2020 I performed poorly the first day, but started to roll halfway through the second. Day three on  the long run stage 2 I left the second position took a step, turned to angle around the wall, stepped in the divit from 3 prior days of shooting and obliterated my medial calf muscle.  As I was falling I was trying to figure out how I shot myself with  an unloaded, cylinder open revolver.  I hit the ground , set the gun down  and looked for the blood.  No blood, but I earned a DQ for putting the gun  hitting the ground.  I was carried off the stage...    Somehow I got crutches, got my gear home and haven't touched a revolver since November 9th.  I spent 10 weeks in an air cast...

Jason

You're tougher than old, dried up mesquite.

4 hours ago, Makicjf said:

Jason

Awe Jason don't quit, come on back to Mesquite now that your healed up, soft sand to run on and good people to shoot with, March 14th. Wishing you the Best.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I think it would be a lot more palatable if you could do 8-round major PF

An 8-round .45ACP revolver sounds pretty cool.  :D

*made in this century, maybe by a company that starts with S and ends with W.

A friend recently started shooting Revo all the time and is always posting pictures and talking about it. My answer still stands, nothing could make me shoot Revo. Ever. Just like nothing could ever make me shoot Open. No thank you to both all around.