Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

On 2/7/2020 at 12:18 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

I wonder if the loss of revolver shooters was caused by participation trophies, considering soccer a real sport, and standardized testing in schools?

Could just be coincidental timing, but I don't think so. 

I think that your on to something here! LOL

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

I wonder if the loss of revolver shooters was caused by participation trophies, considering soccer a real sport, and standardized testing in schools?

Could just be coincidental timing, but I don't think so. 

Seems just the opposite to me.  People realized that to win they had to have equipment that was slightly competitive, hence no revolvers.  

Wasn't revolver an original division after the split from run what you brung?  Wouldn't that make it specifically a division brought about for participation trophies, just like every division that isn't open?

15 hours ago, RJH said:

Seems just the opposite to me.  People realized that to win they had to have equipment that was slightly competitive, hence no revolvers.  

Wasn't revolver an original division after the split from run what you brung?  Wouldn't that make it specifically a division brought about for participation trophies, just like every division that isn't open?

I think what you are saying is that it is ok to get a sex change and then play women's soccer.  

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I think what you are saying is that it is ok to get a sex change and then play women's soccer.  

No, more like revolver shooters wanted a participation trophy and cried for their own division so the 3 people shooting a revolver nationwide would be sure to get their ribbon

Edited by RJH

1 minute ago, Seancass said:

I appreciate why people wouldn't shoot wheelgun, but I don't understand the actual Hate for the division. 

I'm not sure there is any hate, somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

On the internet we bitch about everything, particularly when it is too cold to get outside in a lot of places, but that is often not real world. 

The answer might be as simple as they like to cry about revolver as they truly have a deep down lust to shoot revolvers. It seems the other divisions have to many opinions, options, paper GM’s, snobby people and the list goes on for them to be noticed . But the few revolver shooters left are true competitors. After all what can you do to a revolver to gain an edge. It is not like the other divisions where you see people cry about weight, magazine capacity, light triggers so on and so forth.
As I read  the responses to this question and it has stretched out to 6 pages and the same people who complained earlier have come back to complain some more shows truth to what I wrote above.  
As far as soccer goes my daughter played all the way though high school and the tournaments she attended starting in first grade did not hand out participation trophies. In fact probably not a one of you could probably keep up with them for a full game. 

So in ending  my little input to this please keep putting in your 2 cents into this forum as it is entertaining to read such comments from people who are the same ones who probably voted for Hillary.
🏻out

On 2/6/2020 at 8:59 PM, Shmella said:

now, when I see revolver shooters all that comes to mind is slowing down the match. 

Club match wise, even with a six shooter, still faster than half of them. So that's a myth. :D

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Seems to be the trans mantra these days. 

Idk what the trans mantra is, i will have to defer to superior knowledge of the subject.  Do they whine and get their own participation trophies while claiming to be fierce competitors who actually compete against no one, like revolver shooters? 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm not sure there is any hate, somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

100 percent correct,  i am just funning. I don't give 2 shits what any one else shoots, even if its a revolver or pcc

On 2/5/2020 at 2:33 PM, MikeBurgess said:

This is an epic understatement

Yep, as I do more research and talk to folks around here, I'm starting to realize that.

Definitely lots of good opportunities for me to learn from local shooters.

The other thing that bothers me is that only 6 shot revolvers can be major PF, which means nobody in their right mind is ever going to run a six shot revolver, since stage designers have a habit of doing 4 target arrays - and sometimes they'll even do 4 targets from one position, with one or two optional targets that you can shoot from multiple positions. At least with single stack major, you can *choose* to do a standing reload if it makes sense - instead of being forced.

Think of a 32 round field course - 4 positions with 8 shots in each position, and no multiple presentations - that's a standing reload at each position. Isn't the point of major PF that you can be a little loose with your accuracy for the sake of speed? Yeah no. Revolver makes no sense in USPSA the way most stages are designed.

So, since nobody in their right mind would take a 6 shot revolver to a USPSA match, how many revolvers does that leave that are viable? Since most revolvers that people have are 6 (or even 5) - that easily could be 90% of the revolvers that exist. So yeah, revolver is dead.

Edited by sc68cal

On 2/8/2020 at 6:27 PM, RJH said:

Isn't the whole PCC hate a consequence of Open shooters no longer taking the top overall spots? Talking about participation trophies... 🙂

On 2/9/2020 at 11:33 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

On the internet we bitch about everything, particularly when it is too cold to get outside in a lot of places, but that is often not real world. 

So we need a new thread - "what would it take for you to shoot any division in an area where it gets too cold to get outside and shoot?" There must be "geographical haters" too (?)

7 hours ago, sc68cal said:

The other thing that bothers me is that only 6 shot revolvers can be major PF, which means nobody in their right mind is ever going to run a six shot revolver, since stage designers have a habit of doing 4 target arrays - and sometimes they'll even do 4 targets from one position, with one or two optional targets that you can shoot from multiple positions. At least with single stack major, you can *choose* to do a standing reload if it makes sense - instead of being forced.

Think of a 32 round field course - 4 positions with 8 shots in each position, and no multiple presentations - that's a standing reload at each position. Isn't the point of major PF that you can be a little loose with your accuracy for the sake of speed? Yeah no. Revolver makes no sense in USPSA the way most stages are designed.

So, since nobody in their right mind would take a 6 shot revolver to a USPSA match, how many revolvers does that leave that are viable? Since most revolvers that people have are 6 (or even 5) - that easily could be 90% of the revolvers that exist. So yeah, revolver is dead.

Unfortunately, your analysis is dead on.

8 hours ago, sc68cal said:

Yep.... Sometimes the MADNESS hits me, and I go and shoot an IPSC match with a 6-gun. Just BECAUSE. I'm not the only one.

It is not hard to find 8-shot revolvers if you want one.

5 hours ago, IVC said:

Isn't the whole PCC hate a consequence of Open shooters no longer taking the top overall spots? Talking about participation trophies... 🙂

There is a lot of truth to that.   When PCC first started it sure seemed that open shooters were the ones that tended to get their panties in a bunch.  Now that PCC has been around a bit and open still predominately tends to win HOA, the crying has seemed to subside some LOL

Prima donna open shooters, tactitard Pcc and carry ops shooters, slow ass revolver shooters, "purist" production shooters, fuddy single stackers, and damn L10;  limited (the only real division) shooters have to put up with all y'all haha

5 hours ago, IVC said:

So we need a new thread - "what would it take for you to shoot any division in an area where it gets too cold to get outside and shoot?" There must be "geographical haters" too (?)

A fountain of youth. 

On 2/10/2020 at 7:54 AM, RIIID said:

What would it take? A New RPM(Charlie Prest) 8 shot in 9x23 and the odds of that happening is slim to none and slim left on a Harley along time ago.

Rich

Well you can get pretty close with a S&W 627 in 38 Super and some moon clips from TK or Heathco.

3 hours ago, perttime said:

It is not hard to find 8-shot revolvers if you want one.

My point is: just looking at S&W's website, the majority of revolvers they make are _not_ 8 shot revolvers. The revolvers that people are likely to own/buy is something like a 6 shot revolver, maybe around $800 msrp. So, that's a 6 shot 357 revolver. Same with Ruger - the six shot revolvers they offer start at around 800 MSRP.

8 Shot revolvers that are sold by Smith and Ruger are competition models, and demand competition prices. $1500. Let's be honest, was the first gun any of us bought, a gun made exclusively for competition? I doubt it. Most of us bought something reasonably priced, went and shot a USPSA match in limited minor, because we didn't own enough mags yet, then when we committed to the sport we bought more gear - which might have been only buying a couple more mags so we could shoot production, where pretty much any handgun you buy these days is viable and won't hold you back.

It's just not the same situation in revolver. If someone bought a 6 shot revolver because they wanted a wheel gat, and then took it to a USPSA match, they're going to take one look at what is required to even be _viable_ without buying a whole new revolver and say "this sucks" - because even if they go nuts and buy the rig and cut their gun for moonclips, they're pouring money into a 6 shot revolver that will NEVER be viable. They have to go out, buy a $1600 revolver to fix their "mistake" of buying a common 6 shot revolver. So yeah they're going to go to a gun shop and buy a Glock 17/19/Sig/M&P and shoot production and never look back at revolver.

25 minutes ago, sc68cal said:

My point is: just looking at S&W's website, the majority of revolvers they make are _not_ 8 shot revolvers. The revolvers that people are likely to own/buy is something like a 6 shot revolver, maybe around $800 msrp. So, that's a 6 shot 357 revolver. Same with Ruger - the six shot revolvers they offer start at around 800 MSRP.

8 Shot revolvers that are sold by Smith and Ruger are competition models, and demand competition prices. $1500. Let's be honest, was the first gun any of us bought, a gun made exclusively for competition? I doubt it. Most of us bought something reasonably priced, went and shot a USPSA match in limited minor, because we didn't own enough mags yet, then when we committed to the sport we bought more gear - which might have been only buying a couple more mags so we could shoot production, where pretty much any handgun you buy these days is viable and won't hold you back.

It's just not the same situation in revolver. If someone bought a 6 shot revolver because they wanted a wheel gat, and then took it to a USPSA match, they're going to take one look at what is required to even be _viable_ without buying a whole new revolver and say "this sucks" - because even if they go nuts and buy the rig and cut their gun for moonclips, they're pouring money into a 6 shot revolver that will NEVER be viable. They have to go out, buy a $1600 revolver to fix their "mistake" of buying a common 6 shot revolver. So yeah they're going to go to a gun shop and buy a Glock 17/19/Sig/M&P and shoot production and never look back at revolver.

But 8 shot revolver is gonna fix revolver lol.

Your post sums up why i no longer have any desire to shoot revolver.  I had a less than idea revolver, but one i would use before the rule change. Now i have a revolver that just pisses you off to shoot in uspsa and no desire to dump 1500 or more in a rig to shoot against 0 people, when i can take a plastic limited or production gun for considerably less money and shoot against many people