Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

26 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Looking at 2019, there were more M's and G's in SS not revolver. In fact if you combine the SS M's and G's it's more then the whole revolver division. And SS isn't exactly the biggest division to begin with.

And when I do see a G or M really in Rev I can't help but wonder if they got that when the 8 shot's became legal and the HHF on the classifiers were still based on 6 round guns. Kind of ruined the classification system for that division. Same for PCC and CO really.

Yes lots of Ms in SS

Yes the classification system got messed up for a while and just generally doesn't work very well for any of the low participation divisions. That said I kinda felt bad at first about making GM in a "easy" division but  when I look at how I did at Nationals and cross reference that % over to say Open Nationals I see many state and area level competitive  GMs in about the same % (using shooters I know) so now I don't feel bad about it other than I cant shoot M class level with a bottom feeder

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Yes lots of Ms in SS

Yes the classification system got messed up for a while and just generally doesn't work very well for any of the low participation divisions. That said I kinda felt bad at first about making GM in a "easy" division but  when I look at how I did at Nationals and cross reference that % over to say Open Nationals I see many state and area level competitive  GMs in about the same % (using shooters I know) so now I don't feel bad about it other than I cant shoot M class level with a bottom feeder

I wouldn't necessarily call it easy, unless maybe you got it shooting all 8 shot classifiers. My first ever 100% was revolver division on a 8 shot classifier. I ended up calling HQ and having it taken off, after that I just did reloads on those anyway. Doesn't really matter now, I stopped shooting that division

Shooting a bottom feeder is basically a different game. 

3 hours ago, XDoctor said:

I'm actually starting to consider it.  There is a very active ICORE club a few hours North of me.  They shoot all year, when USPSA is shut down eight months at a time.

The Buffalo group is doing well and you should consider it, also if you want a break from the cold come down south to Mesquite,NV Icore, Steel Challenge and USPSA all at the same range/club.

6 hours ago, mchapman said:

The Buffalo group is doing well and you should consider it, also if you want a break from the cold come down south to Mesquite,NV Icore, Steel Challenge and USPSA all at the same range/club.

We don't have a direct flight to Vegas anymore, which means two flights or a 12 hour drive.  Could use a break from the cold though!  I'll keep it in mind.

7 hours ago, XDoctor said:

We don't have a direct flight to Vegas anymore, which means two flights or a 12 hour drive.  Could use a break from the cold though!  I'll keep it in mind.

Casper to Salt Lake to St. George? end up 30 miles from us vs 85 from Vegas but it's all good.

OP- there are a few decent revolver shooters in your area, hit me up and I’ll get you in touch with them. 

If you want to shoot revolver do it, and if you want to be really good at it it has the same challenges at the top as any other division. 

There is steel challenge in your area, and there’s some decent heat there too. Couple guys in the high 70s with autos and high 80s with revolvers. ICORE is a drive for a club match, but flights from SeaTac to west coast destinations, which are usually very cheap flights, will take you to regional ICORE, SC and revolver heavy USPSA matches. 

Revolvers and their gear cost the same as any other top level equipment, including production guns. 

There are people that shoot only revolver, and do just fine comparing themselves to other low cap divisions, even if the comparison is apples to oranges. 

I just shot revo last week (only revo shooter) and will likely shoot it again next month and in our sectional. I understand that some people like to run around at mach 2 flinging as much lead as possible. That is fine. I am not one of those people. I just like shooting revo and if I wasn't I'd be shooting SS anyway so it is not a huge difference (although I am building a CO).

Since there are no other revo guys most matches I shoot, I just compare my scores to SS and Prod.

I will admit I do kinda enjoy the surprise on people's faces when I beat them with a revolver. Some of them look at you like voodoo and black magic is required to shoot a revo competitively.

I started shooting uspsa in revolver division. Shot only knock down steel and steel challenge before uspsa and revolver has its place in the local knock down steel matches. That being said I think revolver was actually really fun. I didn’t understand the hate when just getting into the sport. Now that I’m more invested and experienced I get it.

Locally to me there’s almost no heat in revolver and it’s basically a one on one match in revolver with the local GM as long as you don’t terribly suck. The first or second match I beat him and was pretty much over it and wanted to move onto a different division with more competition. 

now, when I see revolver shooters all that comes to mind is slowing down the match. From a competitive stand point it’s a division that doesn’t count. As far as shooting for fun I honestly think it is actually really fun to shoot. It’s a good beginner division imo but beyond that it’s not a good choice if you’re a competitive type and want to beat the best guys around you and get your kicks from winning matches or beating “good “ shooters. 

2 hours ago, Shmella said:

Locally to me there’s almost no heat in revolver and it’s basically a one on one match in revolver with the local GM as long as you don’t terribly suck. The first or second match I beat him and was pretty much over it and wanted to move onto a different division with more competition.

When did you beat me !?!  I must have been hung over !

8 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

When did you beat me !?!  I must have been hung over !

Lmao it was one time Dave. And I'll never let it go!

You dont slow down the match. But nearly every other revo shooter does.

15 hours ago, Shmella said:

now, when I see revolver shooters all that comes to mind is slowing down the match. 

I call BS, how many Auto shooters spend half the match loading unloading and cleaning magazines rather than working to make the match move faster? almost ever revo shooter I see shows up with all their ammo mooned and after a stage takes 10 seconds to replace their moons and is back working.  Remember the shooting part of a stage is one of the smallest factors in total stage turn time, scoring and reset are where the time is, that and hot shots with a 2 min make ready routine.

5 hours ago, Shmella said:

How? 

Stage times might be equivalent to 1 a classification lower bottom feeder shooter but I have never noticed a revolver shooter slowing down anything beyond that. 

On the rare occasions that I have shot revolver I have had more time to help simply because there was no down time for loading magazines. 

I wonder if the loss of revolver shooters was caused by participation trophies, considering soccer a real sport, and standardized testing in schools?

Could just be coincidental timing, but I don't think so. 
Or just evolution [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 2/7/2020 at 8:14 AM, Shmella said:

Lmao it was one time Dave. And I'll never let it go!

Sorry Dude, I can't see how you can say that, it's not like you've shot with a lot of revo shooters.

If your referencing falling steel then well duh!! They are shooting the same stage as all you 10 rnd

flat gun shooters, but I believe we're talking USPSA here.

But whatever, there seems to be a lot of haters here of the round gun, chances are they've had one

of their "blazing" stage runs upstaged by an older, slightly fatter wheel gun shooter and they're still

butt hurt over it 😇

And oh ya....revolver shooters not helping ??  Far from it swedmoose, revo shooters are the hardest

working shooters out there, like some have mentioned, we're not dancing around the stage

"looking for that sweet spot" getting in everyone's way like "shirt" shooters thinking that them winning

this local weekend match means anything in the grand scheme of things. Or the Open dweebs with his

(never see the female Open shooters do this ?) precious hi-cap mags back under the cover out of the

sun cleaning ALL his mags after shooting a 12 rnd classifier

But like I said, whatever.

Edited by 10mmdave

2 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Sorry Dude, I can't see how you can say that, it's not like you've shot with a lot of revo shooters.

Neither has anyone else since there are only 3 revolver shooters nationwide 🙂

But whatever, there seems to be a lot of haters here of the round gun, chances are they've had one

of their "blazing" stage runs upstaged by an older, slightly fatter wheel gun shooter and they're still

butt hurt over it 

I think the only revolver shooter to beat me was Jerry m and i was shooting l10 and sucked at the time. And i even beat on a stage. But i ain't butt hurt over it, probably the first time i ever beat a gm on a stage so, thank you revolvers for making even great shooters suck. 

On 2/7/2020 at 11:20 AM, MikeBurgess said:

I call BS, how many Auto shooters spend half the match loading unloading and cleaning magazines rather than working to make the match move faster? almost ever revo shooter I see shows up with all their ammo mooned and after a stage takes 10 seconds to replace their moons and is back working.  Remember the shooting part of a stage is one of the smallest factors in total stage turn time, scoring and reset are where the time is, that and hot shots with a 2 min make ready routine.

And revolver shooters still take longer to shoot a stage than all that combined  🙂