Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

23 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

A top end 929 & equipment is a whole lot less that an open or limited rig. Especially if you are competing at a level where you need a few SVI's.

Correct, but the start up costs for Production or even Limited minor is far lower, and most of the time the guns are not the limiting factor in those divisions until you are at a very high level of competition. For revolver, there's a minimum equipment spend that you have to commit to, to make the experience at least bearable IMO. Let's be honest, you're going to feel the pressure from the rest of your buddies on the squad to try and keep up with the semi-autos. If you're fumbling with the cheap speed loaders and a nylon pouch/bag that has all your speed loaders because you were too cheap to buy the DAA belt rig, how much fun are you having?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, RJH said:

Hammer meet nail, when forced to choose %99.9 of shooters will not choose revolver. So i guess when asked, "what would it take for you to shoot revolver?" the answer  basically proven out by almost all USPSA shooters is, "I would shoot  revolver if  there is no other option"

Not me. I would quit the sport and ride more.

I own two 625's. Then they changed the rules.  

Im not buying an 8 shooter, so i no longer shoot revolver. Probably will not again.

Having no heat locally also makes it tough. Not much fun when no one else is shooting revo. 

Edited by Ted Murphy

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Cowboy action without playing Mr Dressup?

If there was an action shooting game that just required a brace of single action revolvers, no rifle or shotgun, and didn't require dressing up, I'd finally have an excuse to buy a match set of Ruger Vaqueros. All that extra stuff totally kills my interest in cowboy action...

1 hour ago, xen0ph0n said:

If there was an action shooting game that just required a brace of single action revolvers, no rifle or shotgun, and didn't require dressing up, I'd finally have an excuse to buy a match set of Ruger Vaqueros. All that extra stuff totally kills my interest in cowboy action...

It does sound like fun, a lot of the icore guys we shoot with do Cowboy action.  I’m not into comicon for adults, my wife did get a slight hankering for it but she shoots optics so no go.  I do love the look of the single action army guns, but no more safe queens for me.

To me, I always shot against everyone , that's how I viewed it and gauged how I did. 

It's funny, there was a time I was trying to buy an 8 shot 38 Super in order to shoot it in Production. Last minute I changed my mind, I thought it was a lot of money to spend just to make a few more people feel bad. :D

When the division changed to 8,  disappointed in the change, I gave it up all together. 

I guess I was okay with the idea when it was my idea, but not when it was forced on me. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:04 PM, aandabooks said:

I tried to fall in love with revolver a few years ago.  Had a nicely setup 625 and then they changed the scoring so I bought a 627 shooting .38 short colts.  All rigged up and shot a few matches.  Nobody around here is shooting revo.  To try it again every other division except L10 would have to cease to exist and then I would shoot revolver division.  

We all joke about L10, but if the political landscape keeps shifting left, as evidenced in VA, we all will be shooting 10 round or less guns in USPSA. I used to shoot L10 Major and really liked it, but I moved on because of zero competition. Even as a C shooter in L10, the sport is about some level of competition, so I moved to CO, (having old peepers also contributed). Perhaps a resurgence in the REV and L10 divisions is not so far off.

Now, if you ask what it would take for me to shoot REV today,  new eyes and a bit of alcohol.........

I shot a 625 for a few years. Even went to Nationals. Then 8 minor happened and I lost interest. Made A class and promptly sold every revolver I owned. 

They should have gone all the way and allowed 8 major if they were going to mess with it. I probably would have quit anyway. They’d have to ban semiautos for me to go back. 

On 1/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, xen0ph0n said:

Thats called mounted shooting although u do need said mount

On 1/22/2020 at 11:01 PM, xen0ph0n said:

I like your thinking....

I wouldn't even mind wearing jeans and buttoned shirt. The mass of gear to lug around is pretty much to blame for me staying away from 3-gun, too.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:48 PM, Racinready300ex said:

You could shoot a SA revolver in USPSA, you'll likely be the only revolver shooter anyway so you'll probably still win the division.

But the SAA type guys would all cry GAMER ! when I showed up with a moonclip cut Schoefield.

9 hours ago, perttime said:

I like your thinking....

I wouldn't even mind wearing jeans and buttoned shirt. The mass of gear to lug around is pretty much to blame for me staying away from 3-gun, too.

You will see cowboy action shooters decked out with vests, chaps, knee high boots, some dressed like Roy Rogers, but it's not required. Non designer jeans, long sleeved work shirt, no athletic shoes or ball caps is all that's required. People make wrong assumptions about all the shooting sports.

2 hours ago, MHicks said:

You will see cowboy action shooters decked out with vests, chaps, knee high boots, some dressed like Roy Rogers, but it's not required. Non designer jeans, long sleeved work shirt, no athletic shoes or ball caps is all that's required. People make wrong assumptions about all the shooting sports.

Awhile back I remember watching ShootingUSA or something along those lines and they interviewed Randi Rogers.... er, uh, Holy Terror... at End of Trail. She said it wasn’t all about cosplay. 

Everyone else they interviewed said they liked SASS because they got to dress up. 

I live in in the middle of TX, have worked on ranches, wear a cowboy hat and wranglers on a daily basis, and have never shot SASS. Something about cosplay doesn’t interest me🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, HCH said:

Awhile back I remember watching ShootingUSA or something along those lines and they interviewed Randi Rogers.... er, uh, Holy Terror... at End of Trail. She said it wasn’t all about cosplay. 

Everyone else they interviewed said they liked SASS because they got to dress up. 

I live in in the middle of TX, have worked on ranches, wear a cowboy hat and wranglers on a daily basis, and have never shot SASS. Something about cosplay doesn’t interest me🤣🤣

Many do dress with all the extras. But if you want a place to shoot cowboy guns, again, it's not required.

You could just bring your handguns and take misses for rifle and shotgun if that's all you want to shoot. Just like someone could shoot their Shield in open if you're not concerned with being competitive. 

On 1/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, Barcode1337 said:

Money. I would love to shoot revolver. I would love to do it even more if there were modern break top guns, mainly because I think they are cool. But sadly buying the stuff is not practical right now. I dig weapons manipulation, so the reloading complaint wouldn't bother me.

If I ever acquire something, I'll probably keep it to IDPA though. USPSA for racing, IDPA for messing around with other guns. 

Don't forget the real Revolver Matches are ICORE with their yearly big matches in San Luis Obispo, CA at the Hogue range.

The negative responses here seem to be half "No. Just no." and half "Not enough other revo shooters." It does seem like if the half wanting more competition all started shooting it, there'd be enough competition after all.

I have a Model 625 (and reload 45ACP for my 1911s and carbine anyway), so it's pretty inexpensive for me to show up and be competitive except for the 33% more frequent reload thing. And why the hell not, it only leaves me a little bit farther behind than my usual singlestack does.

Just want to point out that while 8 shooters are very nice the 625 is not as non competitive as you might think, the only Major gun I saw managed a top 10 finish.

and remember while there were way less Revo shooters at nationals than Single Stack there were more Revo GMs than SS GMs so the heat at the top was real

Edited by MikeBurgess

54 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Just want to point out that while 8 shooters are very nice the 625 is not as non competitive as you might think, the only Major gun I saw managed a top 10 finish.

and remember while there were way less Revo shooters at nationals than Single Stack there were more Revo GMs than SS GMs so the heat at the top was real

Looking at 2019, there were more M's and G's in SS not revolver. In fact if you combine the SS M's and G's it's more then the whole revolver division. And SS isn't exactly the biggest division to begin with.

And when I do see a G or M really in Rev I can't help but wonder if they got that when the 8 shot's became legal and the HHF on the classifiers were still based on 6 round guns. Kind of ruined the classification system for that division. Same for PCC and CO really.