Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Money. I would love to shoot revolver. I would love to do it even more if there were modern break top guns, mainly because I think they are cool. But sadly buying the stuff is not practical right now. I dig weapons manipulation, so the reloading complaint wouldn't bother me.

If I ever acquire something, I'll probably keep it to IDPA though. USPSA for racing, IDPA for messing around with other guns. 

"Revolvers are guns of the future!" - said a C-class revo shooter at a local accuracy league... Ironically, it may not be as far from the truth as it seems at first.  If(when?) these focused and never ending political efforts to ban all semi auto things are successful, we all will be shooting revos.

If i had a revolver suitable for competition before i got into USPSA - i'd shoot one for fun even today.  I dont mind revos as some people do - it's just that i want to focus my efforts on divisions where there is a lot of high level competition and buying new gear is not the best use of my resources at this point. 

I Shoot in the Revolver division in USPSA because I enjoy revolvers and getting set up for USPSA revolver division wasn't a big deal as I like to tinker and do most of my own work. I Was 60 years old before I ever shot my first USPSA match and I will never be all that competitive in any division in USPSA but if I'm interested in where I am finishing I just look at Production division and I can see how bad I suck. I'm a C class in Revolver division but I am still catching my self shooting a USPSA stage like I would a IDPA stage like looking for cover or picking up a dropped mag . Hopefully I'll improve as I get more matches under my belt and better understand USPSA stages . 

If our Governor in Virginia gets his way we will all be shooting revolvers and I'll have them figured out by then.

19 hours ago, revoman said:

You have the right mind set to be a revolver shooter. If you can master a 5 to 6 lb double action trigger and hit all A’s just think what that will do for you shooting a 1 to 2 lb single action. Revolver makes you watch your sights as it is not just a touch and go but a pull through until it breaks. 

Where are you located at?

I'm in the Seattle, WA area. There's ICORE matches down by Vancouver ~4 times a year I'll try to attend, but everything within an hour or so is USPSA or IDPA. I've heard that we have at least one good USPSA revo guy up here somewhere...

What surprises me most about the responses on this thread is how many people have such a negative response to the very idea of shooting revo - as if they're going to get some sort of disease from it  🤣

I disagree with the assertion that the division is dying, in my experience it is more popular now than any time I can remember, locally we get 1 to 6 shooters a month nationally there are enough shooters to make it a recognizable division, it was not that long ago when at any type of combined nationals there were less than 10 shooters total. 

At the local match level its a fine division, just look at your overall finish and grin at the fact that literally everyone you beat had gear better suited to the game. 

At the L2 and L3 match level, I admit it does suffer as there is rarely enough shooters for recognition at state an area matches. I have personally shot not shot an area match in revo for years because of the lack of competition (this will change in 2020). 

Nationals has been good the last several years, there are enough shooters that there is someone to compete with through most skill levels, and at the top we have the best revo shooters in the world pushing the pace.

the biggest problem the division really has is there is no cheep way to try it out, to try revo is a $1500 commitment that most shooters are not willing to front to see if they like it, and most people that do have revos do not have ones that would make shooting a USPSA match anything but painful. 

56 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I disagree with the assertion that the division is dying, in my experience it is more popular now than any time I can remember, locally we get 1 to 6 shooters a month nationally there are enough shooters to make it a recognizable division, it was not that long ago when at any type of combined nationals there were less than 10 shooters total. 

At the local match level its a fine division, just look at your overall finish and grin at the fact that literally everyone you beat had gear better suited to the game. 

At the L2 and L3 match level, I admit it does suffer as there is rarely enough shooters for recognition at state an area matches. I have personally shot not shot an area match in revo for years because of the lack of competition (this will change in 2020). 

Nationals has been good the last several years, there are enough shooters that there is someone to compete with through most skill levels, and at the top we have the best revo shooters in the world pushing the pace.

the biggest problem the division really has is there is no cheep way to try it out, to try revo is a $1500 commitment that most shooters are not willing to front to see if they like it, and most people that do have revos do not have ones that would make shooting a USPSA match anything but painful. 

Gonna agree with Mike,, its not dying,,, that would imply at one time it was living... Revolver has always been pretty low turn out... I mean going back to the late 80's, never saw more than an occasional revolver shooter in this or later in IDPA, The game just isnt suited for it. Never has been.

Area 1 had 5 revo shooters, area 2 none, area 3 none, area 4 had 4, and then i quit looking.  Revolver sucks in USPSA and I like revolvers and am even classified, cause I used to have head trauma.  But if some one wants to waste their money on a revolver rig they should go for it, heck they might even relocate to a revolver hotbed and have make it 5 or even 6 whole shooters in an area 

Edited by RJH

9 hours ago, nasty618 said:

"Revolvers are guns of the future!" - said a C-class revo shooter at a local accuracy league... Ironically, it may not be as far from the truth as it seems at first.  If(when?) these focused and never ending political efforts to ban all semi auto things are successful, we all will be shooting revos.

Unless we start shooting bottom-feeders at redocats..... so the bans won't be successful.  😱

The startup cost for equipment that will make you competitive in revolver (S&W 929, moon clips, belt rig) is too expensive to justify.

$1300 revolver

$220 moonclip & pouch combo from DAA

$150 DAA Race master holster (assuming you don't own a Race Master Holster, only $50 for the block if you already own one)

-----------

$1700

That's a lot of money for a division that only attracted like 50 competitors at Nationals. So, no thanks.

1 hour ago, sc68cal said:

The startup cost for equipment that will make you competitive in revolver (S&W 929, moon clips, belt rig) is too expensive to justify.

$1300 revolver

$220 moonclip & pouch combo from DAA

$150 DAA Race master holster (assuming you don't own a Race Master Holster, only $50 for the block if you already own one)

-----------

$1700

That's a lot of money for a division that only attracted like 50 competitors at Nationals. So, no thanks.

you forgot the action job. Tack on another $500+

As a comparison, over the fall and winter I put together a carry optics rig for just north of 6 bills to “try it out.”

yes, revolver is an expensive slippery slope. I think you have to be in the right mind for it. It helps me we have a local ICORE monthly match when I’m feeling like being “with my people.” As for shooting USPSA, I tried it last season and was surprised how good I became at breaking stages into arrays of 8. But for this year, I’m headed back to limited. Seems more suited to the game. But I’m sure I’ll get the bug and grab the wheelie some too.

Edited by Mcfoto

I'm not buying that argument.

A top end 929 & equipment is a whole lot less that an open or limited rig. Especially if you are competing at a level where you need a few SVI's.

50/500 competitors?  What does it matter, most of us aren't going to finish in  the top 5.  Yet many spend $$$$

21 hours ago, RJH said:

Area 1 had 5 revo shooters, area 2 none, area 3 none, area 4 had 4, and then i quit looking.  Revolver sucks in USPSA and I like revolvers and am even classified, cause I used to have head trauma.  But if some one wants to waste their money on a revolver rig they should go for it, heck they might even relocate to a revolver hotbed and have make it 5 or even 6 whole shooters in an area 

Area matches are not a good representation of what's going on - many (most?) revolver shooters shoot other divisions too and will shoot their primary division at the area matches. Compare to the Nationals - the latest locap had 31 Revolver to 146 Single Stack shooters, which is about 1/5. Well short of the attendance at hicap events, but not nearly as bleak as the area matches. Even level 1 matches will have more than area matches as people shoot Revolver from time to time. In fact, area matches are arguably the worst way to gauge interest in Revolver. 

So, no, there aren't just 5-6 shooters per area, there are many more. The ones who shoot Revolver as a secondary and fun division are even more prevalent. They just don't shoot it at majors as much. 

19 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I'm not buying that argument.

A top end 929 & equipment is a whole lot less that an open or limited rig. Especially if you are competing at a level where you need a few SVI's.

50/500 competitors?  What does it matter, most of us aren't going to finish in  the top 5.  Yet many spend $$$$

Not that you’re wrong but I think the argument is there’s no low-cost entry-level alternative for folks to try the division. I got into Limited major for $500 by buying another’s “decided major wasn’t for them.” I’ve never seen a 929 or 627 for $500.

38 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Not that you’re wrong but I think the argument is there’s no low-cost entry-level alternative for folks to try the division. I got into Limited major for $500 by buying another’s “decided major wasn’t for them.” I’ve never seen a 929 or 627 for $500.

Was the action job already done on your $500 Limited Major?

41 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

That could be said for open too.  One has to really want to shoot revo, it's definitely not what I would consider as a #1 choice for starting action shooting.  We started in Limited.  My wife went to CO and I stuck with LTD.  That is when we decide to shoot those divisions.  Lately it's been revo all the time.  At least practice is much easier.  I've built up ~200 moonclips so when we go to the range I line a garbage bag, thrown the spent moons in there- grab and go.  No picking up brass.  And dryfire is as close to reality as it's going to get.

I find it more fun and I'm used to being an outlier and doing my own thing anyway. 

1 hour ago, IVC said:

Area matches are not a good representation of what's going on - many (most?) revolver shooters shoot other divisions too and will shoot their primary division at the area matches. Compare to the Nationals - the latest locap had 31 Revolver to 146 Single Stack shooters, which is about 1/5. Well short of the attendance at hicap events, but not nearly as bleak as the area matches. Even level 1 matches will have more than area matches as people shoot Revolver from time to time. In fact, area matches are arguably the worst way to gauge interest in Revolver. 

So, no, there aren't just 5-6 shooters per area, there are many more. The ones who shoot Revolver as a secondary and fun division are even more prevalent. They just don't shoot it at majors as much. 

I have been shooting uspsa for 15 or so years, including myself there have about 15 revolver shooters that i have seen in all that time. VERY few people shoot revolver any time, so if you enjoy shooting by yourself or with maybe one other person revolver might be for you.

I have decided however that revolver is actually cheap to shoot. You can show up to a match with any 38 Special that will make minor, draw out of a Sticky Holster, carry your ammo in a loose pouch, and chances are damn good you will still win revolver at your match. Not because you're any good but because the next nearest revolver shooter is 800 miles away

2 hours ago, IVC said:

I would disagree, at least in my area. When I shot revolver I was typically the only shooter with a wheel gun. If I wanted to shoot against another revolver I had to travel several hours. So typically I'd see the other wheel gunners at sectional and area matches. Currently there aren't any at the locals I attend, and pretty much all of the guys I used to shoot against at big matches have moved to other divisions.

For me to shoot revolver again the division needs to grow, that's not going to happen. Even Nationals is kind of a joke. It has to be a stand alone match, right after another Nat's so guys who are already in town will be like "why not? we're here". But most of them it's not really their division.

12 minutes ago, RJH said:

I have decided however that revolver is actually cheap to shoot. You can show up to a match with any 38 Special that will make minor, draw out of a Sticky Holster, carry your ammo in a loose pouch, and chances are damn good you will still win revolver at your match. Not because you're any good but because the next nearest revolver shooter is 800 miles away

This is not my experience. Most off the shelf .38 sp doesn’t even come close to making minor power factor and is almost double the cost of 9. To get there with factory loads, either +P or magnum is needed. Buy a match worth of that stuff and you need a second mortgage. Actually, shooting revolver is what drove me to hand loading. I eventually went Short Colt and there’s no factory putting that out that I’m aware of.

part of why I’m trying CO with a Glock: cheap mass market 9 makes okay match ammo.

4 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

This is not my experience. Most off the shelf .38 sp doesn’t even come close to making minor power factor and is almost double the cost of 9. To get there with factory loads, either +P or magnum is needed. Buy a match worth of that stuff and you need a second mortgage. Actually, shooting revolver is what drove me to hand loading. I eventually went Short Colt and there’s no factory putting that out that I’m aware of.

part of why I’m trying CO with a Glock: cheap mass market 9 makes okay match ammo.

I reload everything,  thought that was a given.  

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

well if the conversation is about “trying” revolver, that’s another barrier buying dies and brass.

Well, they can always "try"  with the cheapest store bought ammo around.  Cause if they are not reloading they probably don't have a chrono and can "assume" that their ammo makes minor.  I think maybe one club match I have been to had a chrono stage in all my time shooting, so they will assume that the ammo is minor too.  If someone is going to a major they will be past the trying phase, so chrono, reloads, for sure PF ammo, etc. should not be an issue