Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

11 hours ago, motosapiens said:

meh, i just shoot with a cinder block duct-taped to my ass. I love the challenge and being able to beat elderly and crippled people who haven't chosen to handicap themselves.

PCC shooters are just never going to get it, and that is ok, viva la difference & all that. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/7/2021 at 5:53 PM, JFlowers said:

Its makes a great home defensive gun for the smaller person who is not a gun person.  When they need it, its grab, point, and pull the trigger.  No safety to worry about, nothing technical.  Due to the low cost of revolvers in the 5 shot 357/38 range, they can be put into a nightstand drawer and not really thought about.

You are right on this and I do train new shooters on gun safety with a revolver first - easy to tell if loaded/unloaded.  Good points.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, egd5 said:

For me--God would have to intervene very generously with a lot of talent.

I can relate, but since I don't pray for myself I just bit the bullet, so to speak, and jumped in. 

Once over the shock of entry found it to be populated by great guys and gals and loads of fun! 

The guns aren't finicky, unless you make them looking for that "ultimate" trigger stroke, the loads aren't punishing, to the hand or the ears, you get "ALL" of your brass back, loads are cheap, and the guns/gear are way more reasonable than any other Division.

The down side is there's just not a lot of "gear chasing" that can be done.  To some that's a bad thing, to many it's a plus.

Like all of the Divisions though, you get out of it what you put into it.

17 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

After being in a match, local nats, w a bunch of revo shooters to watch I still stand by my statement I'd rather quit uspsa than shoot revo in it.

This

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

After being in a match, local nats, w a bunch of revo shooters to watch I still stand by my statement I'd rather quit uspsa than shoot revo in it.

That's almost how I look at Open, almost.  I'm a little more dedicated to competition and can find "something" to enjoy in any Division, I'm set up for everything but a dedicated Open gun sold it in the mid '90's, even made Master with it the year before they split into Open/Limited, and started enjoying shooting again.  Though it was a great "toy" to constantly tinker with.  

Heck if it ever went back to everyone competes heads up, I'd be first in line to build another Open Blaster!

So I'll never dismiss any Division, as long as "you" enjoy it I'm all in favor of it.

15 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Have you ever thought about the enjoyment you're robbing of other people by making them watch you shoot a revolver? Imagine a whole squad of you people? Yikes. 

🤣🤣

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

Have you ever thought about the enjoyment you're robbing of other people by making them watch you shoot a revolver? Imagine a whole squad of you people? Yikes. 

How dare people have fun differently!  What are they thinking?  Don't they realize that that if they attempt to have fun in a way in which we don't approve, we'll turn into whining complainers who talk about how they are awful and then we'll make fun of their guns!

20 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

How dare people have fun differently!  What are they thinking?  Don't they realize that that if they attempt to have fun in a way in which we don't approve, we'll turn into whining complainers who talk about how they are awful and then we'll make fun of their guns!

you can have fun all you want, I'd just rather not have to be there to watch. Thankfully revolver is a dead and dying division so this is never an issue, unless you get stuck on a squad of them at lo-cap nats. Sorry Rowdy

Hmmm 🤔 11 pages on why you would shoot revolver. Remember when you were young or maybe even old and you teased a girl but deep down inside you really liked her but was to chicken 🐔 sh*^ to tell her. Well deep down inside all you naysayers would really love to shoot revolver but as we all know you don’t have what it takes to shoot 8 accurately. So that is why you need more rounds so you can spray and pray to impress yourself and others who also cannot shoot revolvers. Let’s see if we can make 22 pages. 🇺🇸😁😂🏻

19 minutes ago, revoman said:

Hmmm 🤔 11 pages on why you would shoot revolver. Remember when you were young or maybe even old and you teased a girl but deep down inside you really liked her but was to chicken 🐔 sh*^ to tell her. Well deep down inside all you naysayers would really love to shoot revolver but as we all know you don’t have what it takes to shoot 8 accurately. So that is why you need more rounds so you can spray and pray to impress yourself and others who also cannot shoot revolvers. Let’s see if we can make 22 pages. 🇺🇸😁😂🏻

😂😂😂

Revolvers are a different skill entirely.  You have to know how to count to six or eight and be able to reload within 2 seconds to be competitive.  I counted reloads at one match and auto shooters on average still reload in that amount of time.

If you haven't shot a revolver borrow one and see how well you can do.  It's like borrowing a race gun when you shoot limited and find it's an entire different game: you will either love it or leave it.

I shot revolvers years ago as a way to have more fun during a match by shooting two guns.  Back then there were no 8 shots and the courses of fire were all designed for 6 shot strings from any  position.  You can't say that about todays matches.

Our club even had a Top  Gun match at the end of the day with the top auto against the top revolver.  Revolvers won a few times.  You couldn't do that these days.

I give a lot of credit to todays wheelgunners challenging themselves for their own reward.  You've got to have fun or you shouldn't be doing it. It does no harm to have the division so let people do what they like to do.  

I took a break from shooting my open gun last night and shot my revo for a change.  I can see why most people don't shoot them anymore.  It's hard.  You  have to break down stages different from anyone else.  Sometimes, you are you to have to make 8 shots without a miss or face a standing reload.  They are hard  and slower to reload.  It's hard to blaze away at close up targets like an auto.  Instead of being in the top 3rd of the standing, I was in the bottom 3rd. I wish they had never started showing combined scores in the first place.  On the opposite side of things, it was a blast.  I'm looking forward to shooting ICORE at the end of next month...

12 hours ago, revoman said:

It seems petty to be so dismissive of any Division, but I'd not buy into your argument.  It's more that those in the Hi-Cap Divisions think it's all about SPEED, In the other Divisions it's about speed.  They don't believe they can get that speed rush with a Revolver.  Anyone who took up Revolver would be within 10%? of their other Division Scores, in relation to that Divisions participants.

The attitude/dismissiveness all comes down to the platform, not the round count though.  SS is 8+1, Prod/L10 are 10+1 (and they are all 3 declining or have declined) vs Rev 8+0, not a big enough difference (note 6 shot WAS a huge difference).

No the problem is the interruption of one's "fun" due to reloading.  Takes a shade longer for the Revolver than a Semi-Auto and all of the low cap Divisions take longer than NO, or few, RELOADS as in Open/Limited/CO/PCC.  And all of the Low Cap Divisions suffer from lower numbers.

I for one take the Reloading as part and parcel of the experience and pleasure.  Just sad that attitudes can't live and let live though.  I can appreciated someone not wanting to put out the effort to learn a slightly different skill, especially if that skill doesn't seem to attract a large following, but it doesn't need to descend further than indifference.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

It seems petty to be so dismissive of any Division, but I'd not buy into your argument.  It's more that those in the Hi-Cap Divisions think it's all about SPEED, In the other Divisions it's about speed.  They don't believe they can get that speed rush with a Revolver.  Anyone who took up Revolver would be within 10%? of their other Division Scores, in relation to that Divisions participants.

The attitude/dismissiveness all comes down to the platform, not the round count though.  SS is 8+1, Prod/L10 are 10+1 (and they are all 3 declining or have declined) vs Rev 8+0, not a big enough difference (note 6 shot WAS a huge difference).

No the problem is the interruption of one's "fun" due to reloading.  Takes a shade longer for the Revolver than a Semi-Auto and all of the low cap Divisions take longer than NO, or few, RELOADS as in Open/Limited/CO/PCC.  And all of the Low Cap Divisions suffer from lower numbers.

I for one take the Reloading as part and parcel of the experience and pleasure.  Just sad that attitudes can't live and let live though.  I can appreciated someone not wanting to put out the effort to learn a slightly different skill, especially if that skill doesn't seem to attract a large following, but it doesn't need to descend further than indifference.

Not an argument just a statement and if they don’t have anything good or constructive to say stay out of the conversation. You don’t see  me or any other revolver shooters going to any of the other division forums and spewing BS with comments that are meant to do just that. I guess that is just the good nature of revolver shooters. You included as I have shot with you and like any revolver shooter made the day a great day. 🇺🇸🏻

3 hours ago, revoman said:

Not an argument just a statement and if they don’t have anything good or constructive to say stay out of the conversation. You don’t see  me or any other revolver shooters going to any of the other division forums and spewing BS with comments that are meant to do just that. I guess that is just the good nature of revolver shooters. You included as I have shot with you and like any revolver shooter made the day a great day. 🇺🇸🏻

By "argument" I was referring to valid points in the discussion you were championing.  The problem is Haters are going to Hate.  Personally I try to not get engaged in the frivolous ramblings of such, though at times it is hard and I can't help myself.

And yes the "good nature of Revolver Shooters" is a great draw to me.  How many others would offer up their prime match gear, gun and ammo for someone to compete in a match?  Even use our back up pieces and compete against them?  They remind me of those I was involved with in the very early days of IPSC.  Sadly popularity, or even escalating participation, seems to include a certain amount of those we could all do without.

BTW, Don is putting on the MW ICORE Regional, and running for Area Director.  He's got my vote.