Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

I enjoy practicing with a revolver because it requires skill and concentration to be accurate shooting double action and I hope that translates to trigger discipline with my Limited gun, but I cannot see shooting it in USPSA/Speed Steel etc. I cannot really see a good case for revolver for defensive use. The real practical use for a revolver is handgun hunting and for me that is just Boar with a .44 Mag. The revolver is a specialty tool these days and just not competitive in action pistol.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

A friend recently started shooting Revo all the time and is always posting pictures and talking about it. My answer still stands, nothing could make me shoot Revo. Ever. Just like nothing could ever make me shoot Open. No thank you to both all around.

Well I've been doing revo for a few years but being a prisoner in our own country has taken the fun out of it.  We would travel to an ICORE regional match and spend a few fun days in whatever part of the US it was in.  Shooting IPSC revo locally here was fun last year but I hit my goal of M.  So I've gone to Ipsc Open for this year of endless lockdowns with no forseeable travel this year.  I'm also putting an optic on my revo for ICORE open.  Old eyes lol.

Edited by MikeyScuba

I've shot revolver competitively for over 40 years and it is by far the most fun that I have in shooting.  I was one of the first Master Class shooters in ICORE with both Open and Iron sights.  My favorite to compete in USPSA matches was my 625 because it's the fastest reloading revo out there. 

You just have to have a mindset that you are always competing against yourself and try to improve.  I've beaten a number of auto shooters at our club level and even won Best Of Day against the auto shooters taking out best Revo and Auto shooters on a Man On Man match.

I am no longer competitive with any of my guns but just switched to my 617 for Steel Challenge.  There is no division for revolver so I'm up against the autos.  Doesn't matter I do it for fun as always and I'm just out to best myself.

It's quite amusing to see the emotions Revolver division stirs.

It's a division that requires a bit different skill set and it's very useful for refining the separation of grip and trigger pull. One cannot get away with trying to cheat the concept of "pull the trigger while keeping the sights on the target" by using the "sights are lined up, done, pull the trigger quickly." The reload is also a fun skill to practice and possess, much like quad-loading a semi-auto shotgun now that magazine-fed shotguns are readily available. 

If you don't like it, don't shoot it. Let people shoot what they want. It's the same course of fire and the same shooting whether it's scored in Revolver division or any other division. Drop Revolver and people will shoot it in Open. Doesn't matter. 

As for arguing the speed, Limited is slower than Open and Production is slower than Carry Optics and Limited. If we go by performance alone, those shooting Glocks are dinosaurs who need to get on with the times and shoot Open. It's the fastest and everyone else should just get with the program, right? Tactical Timmies might even argue that everyone should be shooting PCC because it's what snipers use (sarcasm, obviously) and everything else with low capacity and iron sights is soooo two centuries ago. Besides, as we all know, PCC don't need reloading (ever) which is a waste of time with the historical divisions. 

Time to start discussing "15 round limit in Production." That's a novel concept that nobody has yet brought up and it would help with saving another division because, obviously, 15 is better than 10... 

10 hours ago, JFlowers said:

The return of the SL Variant Speedloader (or at least finding a stash of N-Frame 6 shot 357 models for sale) or the introduction of a JetLoader for such.

Jets would be nice but Bubba rising a Comp III from Safariland isn't that bad either.

Edited by AzShooter

On 4/6/2021 at 3:29 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

as soon as i get gm in open i was thinking of moving into revo. 

just need to pick up one of those sweet jerry michlich custom shop 629s

Its way way easier to do the other way around, I know this for certain,  Open hit factors are crazy 

PS the 929 is just a Smith revo it coming from the performance center just means its made in smaller runs, they have the same trigger pulls and quality control as run of the mill guns, still great guns, just don't think they arrive as anything resembling what you would imagine you would get from a "Custom Shop"

9 hours ago, Solvability said:

I cannot really see a good case for revolver for defensive use. .

Its makes a great home defensive gun for the smaller person who is not a gun person.  When they need it, its grab, point, and pull the trigger.  No safety to worry about, nothing technical.  Due to the low cost of revolvers in the 5 shot 357/38 range, they can be put into a nightstand drawer and not really thought about.

Nothing but peer pressure. 🙂

Seriously, some of my friends convinced me to get one.

As of a couple of weeks ago I have a S&W 929.  I am waiting on parts and gear.

If this !#$^^&!%$& keeps up, I might have to get a .22 revolver also.  I prefer my 50 year old Colt Match Target for Steel Challenge stuff.  

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

Nothing but peer pressure. 🙂

Seriously, some of my friends convinced me to get one.

As of a couple of weeks ago I have a S&W 929.  I am waiting on parts and gear.

If this !#$^^&!%$& keeps up, I might have to get a .22 revolver also.  I prefer my 50 year old Colt Match Target for Steel Challenge stuff.  

Come out to the Cactus Match League Steel Challenge Matches at Ben Avery on the 3rd Sunday of the month.  The match starts at 8 a.m. now because of the heat.

I'm now shooting my 617.  It's a blast.  Over the years lots of guys have given me DS-10 Speed Loaders for it.  I now have 20 including 5 of the new model that the owner gave me to test.  He's a great guy and really supports the sport.

5`7  Apex Hammer.jpg

12 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Its way way easier to do the other way around, I know this for certain,  Open hit factors are crazy 

PS the 929 is just a Smith revo it coming from the performance center just means its made in smaller runs, they have the same trigger pulls and quality control as run of the mill guns, still great guns, just don't think they arrive as anything resembling what you would imagine you would get from a "Custom Shop"

yea open hf are insane, but ive decided gm is more about a mindset and commitment to practice. once you know how to go fast the hit factors just become another part of the game

I really wasn't ever interested in revolvers in the slightest, even though I had a couple of friends who really, really liked them.

One day I borrowed a friend's 929 and shot a Steel Challenge competition with it, and had a surprising amount of fun.  Tried a USPSA match with it----not fun for me.  Just didn't enjoy it, even though I shot decently and my reloads were fine.  But...not interested.

But Steel Challenge, on the other hand---was a ton of fun.  I actually ended up recently getting a 929 specifically to shoot periodically in Steel Challenge, because it IS a lot of fun.  Working on it, currently 1.08 seconds away from GM in Steel Challenge.  Far more enjoyable than expected.

Still not interested in Revo in USPSA, though.  Probably the only way I'd do it again is if a group of my friends all decided to be ridiculous and all shoot Revo in a local match together.  Other than that, not going to happen.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:06 AM, Mass38S said:

People who shoot revolver do so because it is fun, challenging, and we get all of our brass back 😁

All of the pompous BS about revos taking longer, its a dying division, we are dinosaurs, we have no competition, ect...ect….is BS. As someone stated previously, revolver shooters come to a match with all their ammo loaded in moons, and typically work more on average taping, scoring, setting steel. Revo shooters typically are not the ones standing behind the line reviewing their helmet cams with their buddies, watching and posting to social media, or generally slacking off while the same small group of people do all the work. If we get rid of a division, we should start with PCC. Rifles have no business being in USPSA...🤪

Well said!

23 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Come out to the Cactus Match League Steel Challenge Matches at Ben Avery on the 3rd Sunday of the month.  The match starts at 8 a.m. now because of the heat.

I'm now shooting my 617.  It's a blast.  Over the years lots of guys have given me DS-10 Speed Loaders for it.  I now have 20 including 5 of the new model that the owner gave me to test.  He's a great guy and really supports the sport.

5`7  Apex Hammer.jpg

I finally have all my parts in for the upgrades.
Looking at clip holders. N Mt is first choice although SpeedBeez looks promising.  Their moon clips are less expensive.  
I need to sort brass next. 
Kodiak Precision is my go to Gunsmith.  I hear good things about Caleb also.  I think I am about a month away from matches. 

3 hours ago, pjb45 said:

I finally have all my parts in for the upgrades.
Looking at clip holders. N Mt is first choice although SpeedBeez looks promising.  Their moon clips are less expensive.  
I need to sort brass next. 
Kodiak Precision is my go to Gunsmith.  I hear good things about Caleb also.  I think I am about a month away from matches. 

North Mountain are the best.  Using Short Colt you can put 3 moons on each peg and that's all you better need per stage.  

For Steel Challenge I ran the inexpensive moons from Revolver Supply Co.  As long as I checked them for flatness there were good enough.  The Hearthco and TK .35 moons were saved for ICORE where a serious reload was important.

I started shooting late, around 34, and did a few years with Glocks in Limited and L10. I always thought the fast reload was cooler than the fast shooting. (how many times have you watched Travis Tomasie's reload video?) I shot revolver as a second choice back in 2007-8 to maximize shooting back when it was back-to-back Nationals and ammo was cheap. Turns out, I was good at it. 

What I learned was that Revolver allowed me to outthink my competitors. It's pretty hard to outshoot someone that is sponsored and shoots for a living, much less a slight genetic freak like Jerry Miculek. But shooting 6 on a course designed for 8 and 32 meant that I could figure out smart ways to gain an edge. There were nearly no standing reloads at a major match. If you had the gumption, the accuracy, and the awareness you could find shots that Open or Limited shooters wouldn't take because they had the rounds in their guns to take an easier shot later in the stage. With Revolver, to be redundant, you could outthink your opponents. And that's pretty cool. The super fast revolver reload is pretty cool, too. (How many times have your watched Jerry's 2.99 twelve shot video?)

The love of the wheelgun is a hard love. It's a hard trigger pull, a ton of hand strength, and a whole lotta brains. When they added 8 shot it killed the brains, forced Minor killed both the Celeritas and Vis from the DVC triangle, and then they made matches dumbed down so that you never had to think. Thus, the rise of the professional shooters that could crank on pure accuracy round after round but not have to work on speed or stage breakdown. And if I'm not mistaken, Revolver has lost a ton of competitors because of it. Somewhat for redundancy since you're damned near shooting a single stack, and somewhat because it's exclusive, an 8 shot revolver runs well over a $1000, to say nothing of the fiddly expensive moonclips.

Tl;Dr: Bring back six. 

Edited by MattInTheHat

50 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

meh, i just shoot with a cinder block duct-taped to my ass. I love the challenge and being able to beat elderly and crippled people who haven't chosen to handicap themselves.

This would be an edgy take, if practical shooting as a sport hadn't already tried "no divisions, everyone shoots heads up" last millennium.

7 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

Gary Stevens once told me Single Stack shooters were a breed apart. Revolver shooters were from a different planet. 

Superman and Thor were also from different planets ✌🏻