Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take for you to shoot revolver?

xen0ph0n

I'm a relatively new USPSA competitor; started summer 2019 and shot a several matches in Prod and CO. I have a soft spot for wheel guns, so now that I'm comfortable with the rules of the game, I've been thinking about shooting some revolver in 2020. Doing some research, it's sadly become clear to me that revolver is essentially dying in USPSA, but the nearest ICORE and Steel Challenge matches are 3+ hours away and only happen a few times per year (compared to 2 USPSA matches a week in the summer within 1.5 hours). I'll probably shoot USPSA revo anyway, but that got me thinking - aside from the people that have zero interest in ever competing in action shooting with a revolver - what changes to the division would have you considering it? Allowing optics? Reverting the 8 shot minor rule that people think "killed" revolver? Do you prefer to shoot auto-loaders because that's what you carry and you want to be proficient with a similar platform? 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like revolvers.  But I can't see myself shooting that class unless there's a bunch of competition there all of a sudden.  If I shot it around here, I would have zero competition, and that just doesn't seem like much fun to me. 

The division is problematic mostly because it takes a lot more effort, i.e. practice, to be good with a revolver.

My un scientific research tells me that the majority of guys who are b,c and d shooters and like revolvers have

more fun shooting their autos cause they have less misses, no shoots and missed steel with the auto than the revo.

A few years ago I shot revo a bunch, even though there was little competition and made Master.

Even at the sectional and area level there was only 5-8 people shooting revo.

So understand that you will be the minority and keep encouraging others.

in short, rule changes aren't going to breathe life into revo.

Guys like you who want to shoot it and do will!!

Good fortune and keep the cylinder turning!!!

I’m better with my 929 than my limited blaster.  When I shoot ipsc I’m starting to compare myself to production shooters and just look at the overall.  I am lucky that I’ve got a lot of icore going on within a 3hr radius including my home club.

I do find I get a decent amount of questions from fellow shooters about revo but it’s hard to recommend as it’s not like you can just buy one and go shoot.  My first action job + sights wasn’t cheap and neither was it very good as it turned out.  Plus you have to reload to make acceptable ammo.  I went through the bang bang click click bang click until I got it dialed in. My wife’s 929 had a spring go which she got fixed locally.  The local smith mentioned that the action job we had wasn’t well done and the “action job ” he was looking for got my wife running  out of there ASAP....

I then got a property worked on 929 that I had imported back in Canada.  9 months and $$$ later

It is a lot of work but revo is as much fun as are those who shoot it.

I'd never shoot one for USPSA, because I'm old and cannot see iron sights.  Even if I could, there is only one guy who routinely shoots a revolver for USPSA.  He is as slow as a turd, but always 'wins' his Division, because he is the only shooter.  One club near me has an annual 'revolver friendly' USPSA match.  There are always 6 or 7 guys shooting a revolver in that match.

If I owned a suitable revolver I'd shoot it in Open for Steel Challenge.  There a revolver can be an advantage in that you don't have to get a slide to work.  Geez, I can run downrange faster than some of those bullets travel.  When a revolver doesn't move when fired, you know it's a bunny fart load.

I sometimes use revolver for competition just BECAUSE. I do shoot my .45 better in IPSC Classic (sorta Singlestack) division.

I don't expect to win anything, but shooting revolver doesn't necessarily mean I'm always last in "combined results" either.

USPSA isnt a game for revolvers. Its a fun game but has become  a run and gun spray and pray game,,,  I shot a couple matches in SS, that was bad enough. Thanks but no thanks.
I shot a 646 in IDPA many moons ago, but all our stages were 12 rounds or 6 rounds,  MOstly we just shot straight up as divisions didnt really matter.
12 round stage, everyone reloads once and only once. 6 rounder noone reloads.
Revolvers are better suited to steel challenge or bowling pins. I am having fun with my 7 shot 686 shooting pins,,  They are also really fun at shooting Timmy's 100 yard gong target he keeps missing with his stratoblaster 5000 rifle.

I shot a lot of revolver but only in the Classic division in ICORE. 6 shots only with speedloaders. I have shot Single Stack in USPSA for about 10 years and love it. For variety I have recently started shooting Limited. No way at this point I would start over with an 8 shot revo and moonclips. 

I shoot an open revolver in open division in USPSA and you may ask why and I say because I can. I also shoot open and limited in ICORE. Do I own autos and the answer is yes but I prefer to shoot revolvers.

I like to shoot and my choice of firearms is revolver. I not like others on here who belittle revolver and revolver shooters have realized that I do this for fun and sport and I am not a key board want to be Pro shooter. Yes they may be M or GM rank in their division but do they earn a living from the shooting sport. Without knowing them personally I would probably say not and if so I apologize. Pro and top shooters usually do not get on these forms to criticize others on their choice of firearm. 

So if you want to shoot revolver and are not all tied up in the final standings on who beat who and how many showed up for each division let the cylinder turn, enjoy yourself and do what makes you happy.

If you do want to see how you stack up against other revolver shooters there is always USPSA Revolver Nationals and the IRC. Where wheel men show up with wheel guns to have the most fun with the most friendly shooters you will ever meet. ✌🏻

I like revolvers alright. I don't shoot Revo.

I don't have a competitive gun, I don't have any of the gear to feed it, I don't like them enough to buy it.

I have a gun that is at least acceptable to compete with in every other division, but open. I'd be more like to pony up for open.

USPSA and 3 gun would have to cease to exist, and I would take up bullseye and silhouettes (which are both fun anyway) for me to have ANY interest in shooting a revolver in competition. 

Im classified in revo and have shot a few club matches, but it’s more punishment than fun IMO. 

There were  a total of 31 people shooting revolver at nationals last year, so if you practice a lot and have functioning legs, you could be the 2020 national champion....

I tried to fall in love with revolver a few years ago.  Had a nicely setup 625 and then they changed the scoring so I bought a 627 shooting .38 short colts.  All rigged up and shot a few matches.  Nobody around here is shooting revo.  To try it again every other division except L10 would have to cease to exist and then I would shoot revolver division.  

I just started shooting USPSA last year limited class with a CZ Shadow 2 its fun am I any good no am I having fun YES there are two guys shooting revolver at our club I have always enjoyed wheel guns this year I said what the heck I'm going to give it a try picked up a 627 PC to start with will I be a killer good shooter probably not but I will have a really good time along the way YES after a heart spell 2 years ago on my 60th. birthday 4 blockages and 2 stints later I started to see how short life could be just shoot and have fun

Ron  

6 hours ago, revoman said:

I shoot an open revolver in open division in USPSA and you may ask why and I say because I can. I also shoot open and limited in ICORE. Do I own autos and the answer is yes but I prefer to shoot revolvers.

I like to shoot and my choice of firearms is revolver. I not like others on here who belittle revolver and revolver shooters have realized that I do this for fun and sport and I am not a key board want to be Pro shooter. Yes they may be M or GM rank in their division but do they earn a living from the shooting sport. Without knowing them personally I would probably say not and if so I apologize. Pro and top shooters usually do not get on these forms to criticize others on their choice of firearm. 

So if you want to shoot revolver and are not all tied up in the final standings on who beat who and how many showed up for each division let the cylinder turn, enjoy yourself and do what makes you happy.

If you do want to see how you stack up against other revolver shooters there is always USPSA Revolver Nationals and the IRC. Where wheel men show up with wheel guns to have the most fun with the most friendly shooters you will ever meet. ✌🏻

Yep, I’m a long way from being an M or GM class shooter anyway, and I don’t plan on winning any matches in the foreseeable future - might as well shoot a gun that I think is cool!

58 minutes ago, xen0ph0n said:

Yep, I’m a long way from being an M or GM class shooter anyway, and I don’t plan on winning any matches in the foreseeable future - might as well shoot a gun that I think is cool!

You have the right mind set to be a revolver shooter. If you can master a 5 to 6 lb double action trigger and hit all A’s just think what that will do for you shooting a 1 to 2 lb single action. Revolver makes you watch your sights as it is not just a touch and go but a pull through until it breaks. 

Where are you located at?

On 1/18/2020 at 2:56 AM, xen0ph0n said:

what changes to the division would have you considering it? 

Have to allow for a revo that holds 30 rounds to start,

has something so I can make

a 2 second reload with another 29 rounds,

and have a nice, easy, smooth 2.5 lb trigger.

Revolver division is fine as it is right now. Arguably the biggest problem is that there usually isn't enough competition locally, so people choose different divisions.

Another problem is that many USPSA guys simply can't shoot a revolver. Reminds me of cops who don't want to shoot USPSA because they don't want to be beaten by little girls who are better shooters than them, so they start saying that USPSA doesn't make any sense because it's not tactical enough. This enables them to look down on the USPSA shooters, even though they can't compete. The same concept as semi-auto shooters looking down on revolver in this thread - they can't shoot it, but they sure know how to keep their noses up so they never have to put money where their mouths are. Probably the same crowd that is all upset that PCC guys are taking all the top overall spots. 

It's a gun. You shoot a course of fire. The transitions are the same, the movement is the same, the draw is the same, tactics is the same (based on the available number of rounds), splits are barely slower and it comes down to slow reloads. However, a 2 - 2.5 second reload is mostly absorbed by the movement. It's just a disadvantage, much like minor or capacity or no magwell are disadvantages.

Revolver is also great as a secondary division since all but trigger pull and reloading can be trained for all divisions at the same time.