Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check your factory ammo!!

xen0ph0n

Hopefully this is the right subforum for this? Posting this as a reminder to folks shooting factory ammo to be diligent when loading magazines - even though you're not reloading, you might still get damaged rounds that could ruin your day.

Last November I found the round in the pictures attached  in a box of 9mm 150gr Federal Syntech - I imagine if I hadn't caught it, my match might have ended pretty quickly.

IMG_2522.jpeg

IMG_2526.jpeg

The last thing in the world I would do is order Federal ANYTHING.  I have a shooting buddy who uses Federal Syntech ammo.  He has a couple FtFs and at least one squib per 6 stage steel challenge match.  

I use the Federal syntech at major matches. Last two matches I used it at I had about 8 FTf’s. Thought it was the firing pin spring in my Glock but it would never happen with my reloads. 

Contacted them anyways, showed them a pic of a couple of the rounds I was able to find with pretty solid primer hits. 

They had me send all 450 rounds that I had left from a case back to them for testing. I thought that it was cool they cared. They payed shipping obviously. 
that was in November. They are supposed to replace the ammo but haven’t had it in their warehouse since. 😡

I just recently came across a post on FB about Hornady American Gunner 9mm bulk rounds not being crimped enough and the guy was able to compress the bullet into the case by hand. It was alarming to see how many other people went to check their ammo and found similar results. 

Edited by KyleJ

buddies shooting the federal Syntech had failure to fire while all other ammo worked normal in their guns . All said had solid primer hits without a bang. Odd considering lots use their primers when loading their own, maybe the primers were not seated all the way , idk .

16 hours ago, Sprig said:

buddies shooting the federal Syntech had failure to fire while all other ammo worked normal in their guns . All said had solid primer hits without a bang. Odd considering lots use their primers when loading their own, maybe the primers were not seated all the way , idk .

Syntech ammo uses a different “lead free” primer. 

On 1/17/2020 at 5:16 PM, Stuey said:

That is scary, especially factory ammo. I have seen some of that in ammo I have ordered as reloads. Federal Syntec has not been that bad, I have been impressed.

In general I really like the Syntech, and I haven't had any other issues in 3k rounds or so. No failures of any kind out of my gen 4 glock 17 and 34, shoots super soft, and it's really clean.

Interesting thread.  I’ve shot about 10,000 rounds of the 150 syntech and a little less of the 130 PCC ammo.  The 130 has been solid, but the 150 varies from lot to lot.  I’ve had lot numbers that are 100% and I’ve had lots that run about a 5% failure to fire rate.  

On 1/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, Sprig said:

That was actually my original question for them...if the primers in the Syntech were indeed federal primers because that what I reload with and those had no issues. 
They told me yes they are federal primers but maybe they are different from what I’m buying. 

1 hour ago, Malarky112 said:

That was actually my original question for them...if the primers in the Syntech were indeed federal primers because that what I reload with and those had no issues. 
They told me yes they are federal primers but maybe they are different from what I’m buying. 

Its a different primer that they don't sell to the public

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 6:41 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

My buddy found 12 rounds like this in 300 rds of  federal he had. Same deal sent it back and nothing from federal yet. That’s been 4 months. Pretty crappy on their part. 

Finally got my replacement ammo last week. They threw in an extra box. 👍

Ammo flies too fast through the machines for them to catch the few bad ones. We sent back a pallet of winchester ranger .40 LE ammo cause of a few flip primers, dented shells, and luckily a squib durring qualification and not on duty. Through the 17 years on my dept we have used federal hydrashock, rem golden saber, winchester ranger. They all have bad cases get through. Winchester took the ammo back and is sending us FBI contract ammo as they claim it has higher quality control. We will see.