Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer down at start

Stafford

Used my new Shadow 2 last night for the first time in a local indoor match. I've been to the range several times with it along with dry firing. Always starting by manually decocking the hammer. And practicing in DA over and over again, just to get ready for my first shot running Production class. 

Last night, I remember planning my stage runs and trying to plan out the easiest starting shot in Double Action. I can clearly remember thinking about my first shot several times.

It dawned on me this morning that I don't remember manually decocking the hammer after inserting the magazine and racking the slide at the make ready command. I can only assume that I have practiced it so much recently, that I just did it on auto pilot and then holstered with the hammer down.

The only other option would be that I placed it in my holster with the hammer back, but without the safety engaged. Certainly, one of the RO's would have said something if I had attempted to do that? 

But, I honestly can't remember decocking. 

if you do it that way in practice, you almost certainly did it that way in the match. The whole reason we practice is to install our skills into our subconscious.

You probably would have noticed the different trigger position/pull if you had holstered with the hammer still back. I have occasionally become distracted by something in dryfire practice and forgotten to lower the hammer, and it is very very obvious as soon as I draw the gun.

Edited by motosapiens

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

if you do it that way in practice, you almost certainly did it that way in the match. The whole reason we practice is to install our skills into our subconscious.

I hope so. I was certainly thinking about my first shot being DA as I did stage planning. 

4 minutes ago, Stafford said:

I hope so. I was certainly thinking about my first shot being DA as I did stage planning. 

the good news is if you actually practice D/A, it will become a non-issue in a week or so. I did alot of draws to partials and mini-poppers in and shooting DA groups when i was first getting going. Also learned a useful dryfire drill from stoeger where you start aimed at a target, finger on trigger with hammer down. at the beep, you pull the trigger without disturbing the sights, and try to finish the pull before the beep ends. That taught me alot about the grip and hand pressure needed to keep the gun still while moving the trigger briskly.

2 hours ago, C_Tanner said:

I'm willing to bet you sub-consciously did it. That's a good thing!

I had been shooting CO for three seasons. I got an open gun. During practice sessions I would thumb roll the hammer down when I holstered after shooting.

My shooting buddy looked at me and said, did you just thumb roll your hammer down?

I didnt even realize I was doing it. Subconsciously did it due to training.

That's why we train.

Edited by zombywoof

11 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I had been shooting CO for three seasons. I got an open gun. During practice sessions I would thumb roll the hammer down when I holstered after shooting.

My shooting buddy looked at me and said, did you just thumb roll your hammer down?

I didnt even realize I was doing it. Subconsciously did it due to training.

That's why we train.

Why were you thumb rolling after shooting?

23 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

Probably reholstering/resetting to do another rep of the training drill, is my guess

That makes sense. I thought he actually meant when finished shooting. As in if clear hammer down and holster. I guess the intro of RO’s into the conversation tricked me

• 2 weeks later...

It very quickly becomes something you do without thinking about it. When I have been distracted by an RO during make ready(Yes I know this shouldn't be the case) I have gone to re holster without putting the hammer down. Most of the time I have realized it and corrected it without even needing to be reminded. It has happened where I needed to be reminded and The RO caught it.

I tried to run my CZ in limited once just for the sake of it and it felt unnatural to start it safety on, meanwhile I will not even think about it with a 1911. The brain is an amazing thing