Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for places that do silicon carbide treatment on Sig X5 Legion

Ongurth

I recently picked up an X5 Legion and am planning on switching into CO. I like the gun a lot, but am finding that it is somewhat more difficult to find people who do aftermarket work on it... like applying silicon carbide to the grip. I'm hesitant to do it myself, since the grip costs $300, but have been unable to find a gunsmith that offers the service (I saw a couple mentioned previously on the forums, but reached out and they don't offer the service anymore).

Does any one have a recommendation for someone who does silicon carbide work on the 320 or X5 that I should reach out to?

Thanks!

Its not really that bad I did my original x5 grip. What I learned was that the epoxy needs to be thoroughly mixed. My first batch was and i got 90% done and had to mix more I rushed the second batch and it didnt come out perfect for that little bit. Materials were inexpensive. And if your nervous you can pick up any cheep plastic grip to try it first. I havent done my txg grip because im waiting for my springer tape to die(it wont)

Ive seen Alma's work and it is flawless from what i could see

Get a gi grip off yours or a friend's AR. Better yet get 2. Practice on them yourself and you'll do a great job on your own gun! Really.

The shaping of the grip is much more of the "hard part" if you ask me. Actually doing the silicon is just careful prep work and not being a spaz.

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Get a gi grip off yours or a friend's AR. Better yet get 2. Practice on them yourself and you'll do a great job on your own gun! Really.

The shaping of the grip is much more of the "hard part" if you ask me. Actually doing the silicon is just careful prep work and not being a spaz.

What rowdyB said is correct. It’s easy.  AR grips are cheap to practice on.  I’ve also used blocks of wood and pieces of pipe.  It’s like a school art project but for adults. 

I need to know which silicone carbide grit to order?  I did a bit of searching and looks like 60-80 is the sweet spot.  Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Edited to add: after further search, I ordered 60 grit.

Edited by zhunter

I went with a mix of 60/90 because that's what I could find on Amazon. If it's too aggressive, you can always knock it down a bit with diamond files to get it right. You may want to do this in certain places on the grip anyways to provide the level of traction that you're looking for.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

All personal preference. I bought the 3 pack from harbor freight so I had some to use for practice and could also see which grit I liked.

Thats what I used to do my grips.  I liked the course grit that was in there, but had to knock It down a bit where my firing hand fingertips are.   

Since there seem to be some seasoned DIY’ers here, I want to put some grit on my STI GRIP THAT I had painted. I like the paint scheme and don’t want to hide it much if any. Can I just put small spots of epoxy and grit in strategic locations? What grit size for something like that?

I did my regular x5 grip and it was pretty easy. It's all in the prep, I scuff up the area that I want the grit to be and tape off that area and also make sure there isn't any oils on that area before putting the epoxy on. Mix up the epoxy really good and I used a small foam brush to put it on, and then started to sprinkle on the carbide grit. I did multiple pass on it and also kind of lightly patted the grit into the epoxy and kept applying more grit to the grip and that seemed to work good for me. I used 60/90 grit but I would have liked it to be a little bit more coarse. I picked up some more from amazon thats 46/70 instead and I plan to do a legion grip at some point soon. I did practice before on some other cheap grips before hand and I think its a great idea if its your first time.

• 3 weeks later...