Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid question: multiple holsters at same time

-JCN-

21 hours ago, IVC said:

I though your second post was sarcastic, but based on your initial post I'm no longer sure...

No, the rules are NOT optional at L1 matches. ALL rules apply at ALL times. Just because there are some exemptions for L1 matches, that doesn't mean those rules do not apply, quite the opposite - the rules apply and they specifically allow certain limited deviations at L1 matches. For example, rules 1.1.5 mandates "freestyle" but it contains "except as specified below," where rule 1.1.5.1 now creates a narrow exemption for L1 matches.

A level 1 match cannot use/invent/implement ANY rule that is not covered in the rule book. This means that if a competitor shows up at the match, he can go to the safety area with magazines on the belt whether the local crowd likes it or not. He can flip-and-catch the last round whether the RO (or "RO") thinks it's unsafe or not. He can insert empty magazines in the gun in the safety area and he can pull the trigger with the loaded magazine in the gun after "Make Ready" as long as he doesn't fire a round. 

I never understood the mentality of it is just a Level 1 match, Bad habits ingrained in shooters and range officers at level 1 matches carry over into other matches.

All USPSA Matches must follow the USPSA rules.

Ok riddle me this,,, Is there any rule against wearing empty revolver holster and a couple empty strongside moonclip holders while shooting PCC ?
Any rule that says you cant wear an empty weak side PCC magazine holder while shooting revolver ?
Not that I recall or have noticed,
Could simply leave your belt alone,  and come to line with bagged revolver or PCC whichever the case would be. Have enough preloaded PCC mags and moons to shoot entire match without reloading them, shouldnt cause any hiccups in the flow

6 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Ok riddle me this,,, Is there any rule against wearing empty revolver holster and a couple empty strongside moonclip holders while shooting PCC ?
Any rule that says you cant wear an empty weak side PCC magazine holder while shooting revolver ?
Could simply leave your belt alone,  and come to line with bagged revolver or PCC whichever the case would be. Have enough preloaded PCC mags and moons to shoot entire match without reloading them, shouldnt cause any hiccups in the flow

There is no rule against that to my knowledge.  My son shoots PCC occasionally and uses his Production belt rig to do so.  Just has the holster empty of a handgun and uses the mag pouches to hold extra PCC mags.

There is no rule against wearing empty holsters. The problem is the rules as to where your magazine carriers are allowed on your belt vary by division. So if you are shooting production but use a mag carrier in front of your hip for pcc you are now not in compliance with the equipment rules when you shoot your pistol again. This is exactly like the magnet on the belt in production deal. Troy said you can have one and it has to still be behind the hip bone. In addition before the make ready command the magazine on it better be removed or it is bump to open and dont put anything back on it until range is clear or that is a bump to open.  

14 hours ago, Diver123 said:

The problem is the rules as to where your magazine carriers are allowed on your belt vary by division. So if you are shooting production but use a mag carrier in front of your hip for pcc you are now not in compliance with the equipment rules when you shoot your pistol again.

Normally, if you don't use any pouches in non-compliant location you should be fine - while appendix E3 specifies location of all gear and technically even an empty magazine pouch wouldn't be allowed in the front of the hip bones, one can argue that the unused pouch is not really a magazine pouch, it's a towel holder or something. I'm not sure if there are NROI rulings on this subject, but I would be surprised to learn that it would be an issue to have unused gear in non-compliant locations. Someone who knows the details might chime in (?)

This is quite different from, e.g., a Production shooter running out of magazines on the belt and pulling one from the front pocket (rule 5.2.4), where this single violation will bump him to Open. If the non-compliant location is used during a COF, there is no gray area. 

EDIT: Below is a link to the NROI brief that EXPLICITLY prohibits even unused pouches in non-compliant location. It's a no-go and IS NOT ALLOWED at any level match. I have crossed out parts that are incorrect speculation. 

Edited by IVC
Multi brief addresses the issue

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

You can wear an empty holster in PCC,  many guys will use their rig for pistol and PCC.

Well if said power,  said you cant have a magnet even if you dont use it in production I imagine he'd say the same about an unused different gun pouch. Even though nothing in the rules supports that. Not like that has mattered before though.
However in this case shooter is using PCC and revolver. Shouldnt be an issue

20 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Even though nothing in the rules supports that

Appendix E3 supports it - it doesn't have any exemption for "unused pouches," it requires "holster, mag pouches and all allied equipment" to be behind the hip bones (technically, whether used or not). I'm not sure I like it, but that's how it's written at the moment. The only way around it is to declare it "not equipment" and see if it flies with the RO...

http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/uspsa/USPSA122619.php

Here is the link to a multi brief about a magnet being used in carry optics. Its equipment. So if you have a mag pouch in front of your hips that you use while shooting pcc and do not remove that for when you shoot any division that doesn't allow mag carriers in front of your hips, its bump to open period. Call it whatever you want, towel hanger, ear muff holder, what ever goofy name you want to try, but its welcome to open. Will anyone say anything at your club match? I dont know. They should, following all the rules at any level is important so that no one thinks something is legal goes to a tier 2 and gets there day ruined by being bumped to open or worse SNS

6 hours ago, Diver123 said:

http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/uspsa/USPSA122619.php

Here is the link to a multi brief about a magnet being used in carry optics. Its equipment. So if you have a mag pouch in front of your hips that you use while shooting pcc and do not remove that for when you shoot any division that doesn't allow mag carriers in front of your hips, its bump to open period. Call it whatever you want, towel hanger, ear muff holder, what ever goofy name you want to try, but its welcome to open. Will anyone say anything at your club match? I dont know. They should, following all the rules at any level is important so that no one thinks something is legal goes to a tier 2 and gets there day ruined by being bumped to open or worse SNS

Thanks for the link - I have updated my post in accordance with this brief. Always learning fine details...