Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salvaging a botched slide cut

barrysuperhawk

I have a friend with a milling machine, and a poorly executed fast fire 3 cut on a glock slide that resulted in the sight being crooked.  Actually one of the mount holes is tapped wrong.

So.  I am not attached to the fast fire 3, but I would like to see if I can salvage the slide.  My first idea was to maybe find another mini red dot sight with a different enough mounting pattern that I could just drill and tap some new holes and be done...  

I have found the cross references showing which sights use the same set up but none of them are specific enough to tell me if the actual screw spacing is different enough to live on the same slide.  An additional benefit would be had if the new sight was physically larger than the fast fire 3, because the actual cut is also oversized, too.

Sure, I can post one tonight when I get home, but the actual problem is the sight is both off center, and angled to the left, to where if the dot is mechanically centered, it bears closer to the closer to the corner of the slide than the front sight hole.  Put another way, the tapped holes in the slide are not even with each other, the right side is closer to the front.

I would tig weld the bad spots and remachine. If the holes are only off a little bit, plugging them with screws won't work. There will only be a sliver of screw left after re drilling, and that will fall off.  Helicoils would still be in the same wrong location. The over cut slot could be welded and recut. Remember - measure twice, cut once. Weld, repeat.

3 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Ok, if I can find a tig welder to weld up the hole(s), the replacement hole is going to overlap the old hole.  Am I going to have to worry about the weld being harder or softer than the base stainless (whatever lone wolf makes their SS slides out of)?

Tell the welder what you wanting to do he will know the right filler material to use.

Barry, the vast majority of micro reflex sights are on a .550" hole spacing, regardless of the threads used.  If you are willing to have the sight sit a little higher than it would if properly milled, you can screw on a thin (1/8" adapter plate and thread that correctly.  Since your friend screwed up the first go round, I'd send the slide out to someone professional who does that for a living.  It is definitely possible to salvage the slide.

Well that might not work very well, I've called two of the bigger players in the Glock slide cutting industry, such as it is, and explained to them what the problem is, and both of them declined to take on my project.  As annoying as it is I'm not blaming either one for not wanting to get in the middle of this. 

Here are pix of the Botch https://imgur.com/a/JSpYTE6

• 4 weeks later...