Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 34 Barrel Options?

Magsz

Hey guys!

I've always been a factory barrel kinda guy but im building a g34 gen 5 upper and since I need to buy a barrel for it I figured why the heck not, lets see what's out there and maybe get some bling.

So far ive come across Zev and KKM.  Does anyone else make a gen 5 barrel for the 34?

I think Lone wolf also makes an XXL barrel or something like that but ive never been a huge fan of LW.

FWIW I have an ancient LW threaded G19 barrel and the only negative I've found is that the black finish doesn't last very long.  I've used it with suppressors and different comps on an abused knock around gun and other than the finish wear, have had zero issues with it.

I picked up a KKM G34.5 barrel last month and it had a faint ring scribed in the rifling about 1/4" back from the muzzle.  A metal shaving must have hitched a ride on the pilot as they were cutting the crown.  I contacted KKM and they said I could return it if it didn't shoot well.  Fortunately it shoots just fine.  

Shooting unsupported I've never noticed any barrel standing out as being more/less accurate.  As long as I can score a 95 or better B8 at 25y in under 20 seconds I call it good.

Not sure if it's all gen5s or just mine, but the leade on my g34.5 oem barrel is cut a little short.  My competition loads with Blue Bullets (1.130" OAL)  were catching on the rifling and occasionally preventing chambering, just like on my CZs which are known to have short leades.  All my other aftermarket barrels(Agency, Blacklist, Faxon, KKM, LW) have passed the plunk test.   I wonder if the gen5 Marksman barrels are cut to CIP spec instead of SAAMI?

Do what ya want but LW shoots as good as the others. You just pay less.  I have tried them all and unless you are trying to build a bullseye gun the accuracy difference is nill.  Until you get to where splits and one alpha is all that separates you from the championship then dont worry and just shoot and train

6 hours ago, earlan357 said:

I wonder if the gen5 Marksman barrels are cut to CIP spec instead of SAAMI?

There's sooo many 9mm chamber "specs" now. Almost everyone is using their own custom reamers custom ground/modified to what they want in one way or another. 

10 hours ago, dskinsler83 said:

Do what ya want but LW shoots as good as the others. You just pay less.  I have tried them all and unless you are trying to build a bullseye gun the accuracy difference is nill.  Until you get to where splits and one alpha is all that separates you from the championship then dont worry and just shoot and train

My experiences with LW are limited to years ago when their QC on alot of their products was not all that great.  I have no experience with their newer stuff.

I'm not buying this to "get tighter groups" or "better accuracy" like most people are.  I started the thread because im simply curious as to who makes a g34.5 barrel since I need to buy one to complete my upper.  The factory barrels have been more than accurate enough for me but the current pricing that im seeing leaves the LW, the KKM and the Factory barrel essentially the same price.

I'm just curious as to what my options are.