Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you use to hold safety plunger when polishing (pin vise?)

Stumphenhammer

So I've been going down the rabbit hole polishing parts to see what matters (and/or because I'm OCD and have too much time on my hands at the moment).

I noticed on one of Johnny Glock's vids that he uses a pin vise to hold the striker for shaping/polishing...so I pulled out the dial calipers and measured my Gen 3 9mm striker at 0.173 at the widest point and now I know which size pin vise to get.

The safety plunger however, measures at 0.237 where I want to grip it and I have not been able to find a reliable pin vise that opens that far, and if possible, I hope to find one with a range that allows it to hold either part (striker or plunger).

My question(s): (1) Can anyone recommend a pin vise that will fit the safety plunger's base, (2) if not, what do you use (besides your Mk 1 Mod 1 banana peelers), and (3) please share any other tools/devices you've discovered to be useful for trigger jobs/improving perfection.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If you are tired of hand polishing but hesitant to get a Dremel due to cost or the fact that they seem to not be as well made as they used to be, I've had good luck using Dremel bits in a 12V Dewalt drill. It's not as controllable as a Dremel, but for polishing it's good enough and much faster than hand work (I'd only do metal removal/shaping by hand though).

Disclaimer: I don't do metal removal/shaping on carry guns (just polishing) but I'm using my range guns to test the waters with more extensive modifications.

Edited by Stumphenhammer

For the striker, I just hold it and use a felt wheel and some Jewelers rouge.

For the firing pin safety, Chuck it in a drill then us a 3M wheel on a Dremel. Dremel about 500rpm, drill moving maybe half that speed. Rounds it nicely and uniformly.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

On 1/14/2020 at 5:08 PM, davsco said:

i'd just put two pieces of wood on each side, maybe paint stirring sticks, and throw it in a vise (or maybe vice grips).  then rotate it as necessary to get the various sides/ends.

ditto here I do the same