Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
KevinDalrymple

Tier 3 matches

What are the reasons you participate in tier 3 and above matches? What is the benefit besides better stages then my local IDPA matches?

I have shot my state match and looking at shooting some other tier 3 stages, but wondering what benefit is vs spending $100 plus dollars to shoot?

More and better stages.

Hobnobbing with The Right People.  Most high end and well traveled shooters are interesting to get to know.

22 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Most high end and well traveled shooters are interesting to get

Thanks for the compliment. Haha

It all depends on what you want out of it. Of you identify as a "competitor" a good match is invaluable. If you're there as a hobbyist or to have fun it might not be worth it.

Exposure to new things is the best value. If you only know your local club match you probably don't know much.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:25 AM, Jim Watson said:

More and better stages.

Hobnobbing with The Right People.  Most high end and well traveled shooters are interesting to get to know.

More - yes.

Better - not necessarily - a lot of them don't follow their own rules (read illegal stages.)

Usually better props, better looking stages. Stages with more options. 
Most clubs have their own flavor, you ca usually guess how each clubs stages will be. A level 3 will be all the stage designers mixed into one big match. 
My personal expirence is that there is a bigger diffeeence between local stages vs big match stages in IDPA then there is in USPSA. 
Also get to see some of the big names in the sport. Last year I ended up squadding with Mason Lane. Was awesome not only watching him shoot but he’s very down to earth and it was awesome chatting with him during the match. 

Edited by Malarky112