Single Stack Carry Optics...

Tophernj

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/15/2020 at 8:41 PM, mike4045 said:

Go with 3 divisions optics, Irons and revo. I shoot quite a bit of ss and it's a small division already. 

To make that work you would have to get rid of major/minor. 

If you don't the people who don't want to worry about loading major will howl.

If you do the people who have $5k+ major guns will howl.

After reading many of these discussions over the past five years I've come to the conclusion that there is very little if anything that could be done with division redefinition without pissing off a whole lot of people.

2 minutes ago, ddc said:

To make that work you would have to get rid of major/minor. 

If you don't the people who don't want to worry about loading major will howl.

If you do the people who have $5k+ major guns will howl.

After reading many of these discussions over the past five years I've come to the conclusion that there is very little if anything that could be done with division redefinition without pissing off a whole lot of people.

Let them cry! 

Nobody likes it (which maybe means it's an OK compromise), but to get rid of Major/Minor, make a PF of 140 that scores A=5, C=4, D=1.  Leave Major and Minor how they are, but within a year, few people will shoot either and even less will care when they get deleted a year after that.

140 is about the PF of the cop-loads that they're all dumping .40s for in 9, so Real World Practical too! ;)

1 hour ago, shred said:

Nobody likes it (which maybe means it's an OK compromise), but to get rid of Major/Minor, make a PF of 140 that scores A=5, C=4, D=1.  Leave Major and Minor how they are, but within a year, few people will shoot either and even less will care when they get deleted a year after that.

140 is about the PF of the cop-loads that they're all dumping .40s for in 9, so Real World Practical too! ;)

If factory ammo doesn't make 140 PF in all flavors of guns, you've now just turned the sport into a reloaders-only game. While many/most of us reload, this wouldn't be good for the sport.

Yeah, the 2"  .38 Special crowd is going to be pissed.  All 3 of them.

USPSA can't be all things to all people, it's time to admit the entry level caliber is 9.  Tons of factory bulk 9 makes 140 or close enough for a local match with no chrono.

Anyone wanting to shoot lighter ammo, there's still Minor PF.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:27 AM, shred said:

Yeah, the 2"  .38 Special crowd is going to be pissed.  All 3 of them.

USPSA can't be all things to all people, it's time to admit the entry level caliber is 9.  Tons of factory bulk 9 makes 140 or close enough for a local match with no chrono.

Anyone wanting to shoot lighter ammo, there's still Minor PF.

I took the data from this site http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php
and made this chart to show PF for many major brands of factory 9mm.

9mm Factory Ammo Power Factors.pdf

On 1/29/2020 at 9:11 AM, shred said:

when I get too old and feeble to hold onto a gun like a grown man, I will probably support a proposal like this.

On 1/15/2020 at 4:37 AM, Tophernj said:

SS is a dwindling division. Allowing an optic in that division just might help it grow.

SS isn't dwindling because people can't see the sights.  It's dwindling for the same reasons Limited 10 and Revolver are either dead or moribund depending on where you live.

IDPA is the place for you: your gun will be perfect for ESP.

• 8 months later...

So after reading all these comments I'm not sure where you would fall shooting single stack with optics i.e red dot.     

Would you fall in CO or Open?   It looks like open but I can't tell for sure as I'm new to the whole USPSA shooting.   

13 minutes ago, PEG941 said:

So after reading all these comments I'm not sure where you would fall shooting single stack with optics i.e red dot.     

Would you fall in CO or Open?   It looks like open but I can't tell for sure as I'm new to the whole USPSA shooting.   

Open

On 1/14/2020 at 8:04 AM, Tophernj said:

Does anyone else think this should be a thing?  

I'm a fan on the 1911 platform (TBH, I like all guns as evidenced by the fact that I shoot Glocks a lot).  However, my eyes suck.  I just can't see the front sight as well as I could even 5 years ago.  On my Glocks I've switched over to dots and really like them.  I have a gun that I'm building (ZEV OZ-9ish) as a dedicated CO rig.  But it's just not a 1911.  I'd love to be somewhat competitive in whatever class I shoot and if I have a dot on a 1911, I'm in "Open" and am pretty sure I'll get hosed.  Shooting fast is fun, being somewhat competitive is funner. 

Additionally, I'm in a restricted state.  This would be a solid class for those of us caught behind enemy lines (don't say it, I HAVE to be here right now) 

I'd say same rules as CO: No comps/magwells.  Red dot mounted to the slide.  Gun needs to be somewhat of a production model.  All scored as minor.  

I think it would be a fun little sub-set.  

Thoughts?  

You will not be competitive with a 1911 in Carry Optics with a Dot on it, you have limited round capacity in a single stack as compared to other currently legal CO Guns.

But i don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to run any gun on CO you wanted to as long as it didn't have a comp or ported barrel.

If you do want to shoot a 1911 with a dot on it and be in carry optics, IDPA would be good, you can shoot any gun you want in CO in IDPDA as long as it doesn't have a comp, holes in the barrel, fits the box and weighs 45 ounces or less.

22 hours ago, DirkD said:

But i don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to run any gun on CO you wanted to as long as it didn't have a comp or ported barrel.

People who read the rules do find out why.

USPSA Rules

APPENDIX D7 – Carry Optics Division

Special conditions:

Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list

The List: https://uspsa.org/productionlist

--------

Also,

IPSC Rules, for the rest of the world:

APPENDIX D4a: Production Optics Division

Special conditions:
14. Only handguns listed as approved in the Production Division List on the IPSC website and fitted with an optical/electronic sight may be used in Production Optics or Production Optics Light Divisions.

Edited by perttime

4 hours ago, perttime said:

People who read the rules do find out why.

USPSA Rules

APPENDIX D7 – Carry Optics Division

Special conditions:

Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list

The List: https://uspsa.org/productionlist

--------

Also,

IPSC Rules, for the rest of the world:

APPENDIX D4a: Production Optics Division

Special conditions:
14. Only handguns listed as approved in the Production Division List on the IPSC website and fitted with an optical/electronic sight may be used in Production Optics or Production Optics Light Divisions.

I know it isn't allowed per the rules, but it makes no sense.

That is the USPSA way 

On 11/13/2020 at 9:34 AM, DirkD said:

I know it isn't allowed per the rules, but it makes no sense.

That is the USPSA way 

No, it makes perfect sense. The 1911 has a single action trigger, production and CO are for shooters with "crappier" triggers. You can shoot whatever you like in USPSA, we have a whole division for that.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, Tophernj said:

Does anyone actually read the OP...?

Yes, I did.

No, it's not a good idea to further dilute competition with more divisions and no, it's not a good idea to roll single action pistols into carry optics.

I doubt you'll find much support for either here.  Certainly not mine.

Funny thing is in CO's IDPA allows a 1911, USPSA doesn't?  USPSA usually falls on the side of less restrictions than IDPA.  Go figure.

But just wait, with the popularity of Dots on Carry Guns increasing, it may be only a matter of time before something changes.