Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Carry Optics...

Tophernj

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think this should be a thing?  

I'm a fan on the 1911 platform (TBH, I like all guns as evidenced by the fact that I shoot Glocks a lot).  However, my eyes suck.  I just can't see the front sight as well as I could even 5 years ago.  On my Glocks I've switched over to dots and really like them.  I have a gun that I'm building (ZEV OZ-9ish) as a dedicated CO rig.  But it's just not a 1911.  I'd love to be somewhat competitive in whatever class I shoot and if I have a dot on a 1911, I'm in "Open" and am pretty sure I'll get hosed.  Shooting fast is fun, being somewhat competitive is funner. 

Additionally, I'm in a restricted state.  This would be a solid class for those of us caught behind enemy lines (don't say it, I HAVE to be here right now) 

I'd say same rules as CO: No comps/magwells.  Red dot mounted to the slide.  Gun needs to be somewhat of a production model.  All scored as minor.  

I think it would be a fun little sub-set.  

Thoughts?  

Edited by Tophernj

Uh, no.  There's  already a very fine (and still kind of newish) division for you - Carry Optics.  Lots of fun. 

Or, go all the way and shoot in "Open", also with a dot and has that nice 1911-type trigger.

Lots of options.  Enjoy!

7 minutes ago, 36873687 said:

It’s time for open gun sir. U have the 1911 trigger

So does single stack and limited.  If the trigger is the determining factor, then a lot of guns would belong in Open.

I know what you're trying to convey.  I just don't necessarily agree with it.  

Think of it this way:  The NRA, for all their foibles, did a good thing and created a competitive rifle class;  F-Class, for shooters with aging eyes to shoot their Palma style rifles with a scope.  It's a pretty popular class and a lot of fun.  This would be a similar thing for pistols/USPSA.  

I'm not expecting any changes, but I do think it would be a good thing.

Yes, we do read the OP.  You want a new Division to satisfy your own needs (don't we all!).  But we already have 7 divisions, three of which have optics.  In any of them, you shoot heads-up against others who have similar equipment.   You'd be as "competitive", relatively speaking, in Open or CO as you would in any other division.  

There's enough divisions already.

I might like a 1911 with a dot, or a 1911 with a comp. That doesn't mean that there should be Divisions created for them.

If I wanted to shoot a "carry comp" 1911 with a dot in competition, I'd just go and shoot it in Open.

so lets take SS one of the smallest divisions and then split it up so we can have 2 even smaller divisions?

The idea of being competitive with the gun of your liking (in this case a 1911 with a optic) leaves out, that in order to be competitive you have to have competition. when CO started it was a 10 round division for the first year and participation was very low, that makes me ask the question where do you think the shooters for your new division would come from? 

Now if your question was really should we allow a SS with an optic in CO, as horribly non competitive as that would be, you might as well shoot it in open as the difference in placement would be pretty small.

OP this happens a lot here; people want a division created that encompasses some specific thing they like or want.

There was recently a similar thread; someone bought a gun and then was unhappy that the rules put his gun in a division he didn't want to be in. 

The responses and invisible eye-rolling was not a personal attack, just a sense of "here we go again...."

18 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

so lets take SS one of the smallest divisions and then split it up so we can have 2 even smaller divisions?

The idea of being competitive with the gun of your liking (in this case a 1911 with a optic) leaves out, that in order to be competitive you have to have competition. when CO started it was a 10 round division for the first year and participation was very low, that makes me ask the question where do you think the shooters for your new division would come from? 

Now if your question was really should we allow a SS with an optic in CO, as horribly non competitive as that would be, you might as well shoot it in open as the difference in placement would be pretty small.

Thank you for making my point. 

CO started off with very low numbers. Look at it now. The ability to purchase a production gun and slap an optic on top is very appealing. The numbers prove that out. 
SS is a dwindling division. Allowing an optic in that division just might help it grow. 

6 hours ago, konkapot said:

OP this happens a lot here; people want a division created that encompasses some specific thing they like or want.

There was recently a similar thread; someone bought a gun and then was unhappy that the rules put his gun in a division he didn't want to be in. 

The responses and invisible eye-rolling was not a personal attack, just a sense of "here we go again...."

Oh, I get it. Thank you for the response. I don’t take it too seriously. It’s the internet after all. Additionally, I don’t and wouldn’t want to make a living shooting my gun. Another reason I don’t take it very seriously. It’s just a game. 

5 hours ago, Tophernj said:

CO started off with very low numbers. Look at it now. The ability to purchase a production gun and slap an optic on top is very appealing. The numbers prove that out. 
SS is a dwindling division. Allowing an optic in that division just might help it grow. 

CO started out based on production division at the time production had massive participation numbers, CO started with 10 round mags like production and participation was next to nil, fast forward a year and the board changes the rules allowing high cap mags and other modifications and the divisions participation explodes. 

Your proposing SS optic, based on SS, a division with low participation numbers, based on what we saw with CO adding a optic would likely result in participation numbers that would be a fraction of the base divisions, so basically you end up with a division with participation numbers that may rival Revo if your lucky. 

You said you wanted to be competitive with your gun in the new division, as a Revo shooter I can tell you that not having anyone to be competitive with sucks. 

Edited by MikeBurgess
typo

8 hours ago, Tophernj said:

If you allowed optics in SS, I might consider giving it a try. But only if it's part of the existing division, not another division.

To be fair, allowing optics would almost certainly force iron sight SS guns to add an optic (assuming the division takes off based on this change).

37 minutes ago, Tophernj said:

I mean heck... allow SS/Optics in CO with 10 round mags obviously scored as minor. I’d be down. 

You'd only be down compared to people that were pretty close to your skill level. Like within 5% or so.

i wouldn't have a problem with this, or even allowing 170mm mags like L10, but I also wouldn't have a problem with 1911 w/o a magwell in production. I think the people who would win would choose something else, but at least there would be a bigger pond for 1911 shooters to compete in.

but really, the whole idea of trying to change the rules to fit the gun you already own is dumb and counterproductive. One of the fundamental justifications for competition is it gives you an excuse to tell your wife you need a new gun. So just go buy a new gun, purpose-built for carry-optics.

Edited by motosapiens

30 minutes ago, Tophernj said:

I mean heck... allow SS/Optics in CO with 10 round mags obviously scored as minor. I’d be down. 

If you want to shoot that gun in a division where it's not competitive then just shoot it in Open...