Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Protection

jschroep

What are you running for ear pro when shooting open? I have  decent muff I use for shooting my AR that has a epsilon brake one it. Are open guns louder than AR’s with a brake? 

For double ear pro would you just get some foamier or is there a nicer option that I’m missing?

I use radians foam for rifle and howard leight impact pros for pistol. I dont like the HL Pros they are too bulky I should have gone with the regular HL's

AR with a brake is louder than open gun

Edited by m700

Open guns with lots of ports (poppels) are way louder than ARs.  I use either 33dB disposable Howard Leight foam plugs inserted properly, followed by 26dB electronic muffs.  When I remember to take them out of my shotgun case, I use custom molded ear plus that are better than 33dB.  I still use muffs over.

27 minutes ago, zzt said:

Open guns with lots of ports (poppels) are way louder than ARs.  I use either 33dB disposable Howard Leight foam plugs inserted properly, followed by 26dB electronic muffs.  When I remember to take them out of my shotgun case, I use custom molded ear plus that are better than 33dB.  I still use muffs over.

*Emphases added*

That is the main issue with foamies. So many people don't use them properly.