Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unloaded sized case fits gauge, loaded case won't

Big Guy

Loading 9 mm 125 g RN SNS to 1.11 for CO.

The unloded resized case will fit the gauge (left side), but the loaded round won't (right side).

Can anyone explain why?

It's not a variation on the case, as I have tried sizing and loading the same case with the same results.

FullSizeRender.jpg

OK.  Thanks. But the question is why?

The shoulder of the bullet is hitting the edge of the chamber on the EGW guage. If you load it shorter, you should be able to get it to seat properly in that guage.

I have found that the EGW guage is tighter than every barrel I own. I have overcrimped in the past due to this. This is why I, along with others, switched to the hundo guage.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

The shoulder of the bullet is hitting the edge of the chamber on the EGW guage. If you load it shorter, you should be able to get it to seat properly in that guage.

I have found that the EGW guage is tighter than every barrel I own.

This

that's what all mine look like. They are a pass for me.

1 SET your crimp to .375 with a winchester case any more and you will damage the SNS coating

2 Your gauge is to tight for coated lead projectiles its meant for jacked ( and still to tight)

I use a modified hornady to case gauge ammo.fyi

Edited by AHI

12 hours ago, himurax13 said:

I have found that the EGW guage is tighter than every barrel I own. I have overcrimped in the past due to this. This is why I, along with others, switched to the hundo guage.

I ran into same thing using same EGW gauge, using Zero 124 RN and BBI 124 TC bullets.  Loaded to 1.100 resolved that.  They would plunk just fine in my CZ S2/75 barrel, but not the EGW gauge.

If you dont believe it, do the magic marker test.  

17 hours ago, himurax13 said:

same here. I have an egw gauge that I no longer use because it didn't play well with coated bullets. it would work fine with the long skinny ogive on most plated or jacketed bullets.

fwiw, the rifling in barrels exhibits similar behavior. a coated bullet typically can't be loaded as long as a plated bullet, especially a chubby coated bullet  like the blue 115 and 124 gr roundnose.

I had a similar problem and found out it was because there was a burr on my cases from wet tumbling too long. They would drop into the case gauge, but then when loaded (with .357” coated bullets which didn’t help) they wouldn’t pass the case gauge. I had lots of brass I had to deburr to get them to work with my coated bullets. Didn’t have any played bullets to test before I resolved the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the EGW gauge. I have two other 9mm gauges and EGW is the shortest by far. Nothing I use fits in it. It all works in the hundo and whatever brand single case gauge I have.

I would say chuck the EGW but mine is still sitting on the shelf so who am I to judge.

Through trial and error, I have learned just how high the rounds can sit out of my Hundo and still feed reliably.   As mentioned above, these gauges are tighter than most any chamber you will deal with.  My rejects go to the practice pile, and they still feed.  I am more interested in the gauge catching split brass that I miss, and the occasional .380 round that makes it through the press.

I have  a Browning High Power that has a tight chamber, and loose groove diameter.  If I use Lead bullets large enough to fit the groove diameter, a cartridge loaded with such a bullet will usually not chamber freely.  You may have that situation.