Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Minor in limited

KRoyal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

If you are only going to shoot local matches then shoot 9mm. 

My scores are approx 5% better shooting major over 12 stages. Often my placing would not change. 

As of right now I'm only planning shooting local matches, but as my son gets older and can start shooting the matches with me I wouldn't mind traveling to some.  

1 hour ago, Chills1994 said:

If you do reload, and start shooting .40, then you are going to be "THAT GUY" ...down on your hands and knees scrounging to get your brass back. 

Baloney.  40sw brass is just as plentiful as 9mm.  There are buckets of it at my home club, because everybody goes for 9mm and 45.  Or you can go down to the local indoor range and buy a bulk ammo box full of 40sw for $15.  You can only shoot ammo purchased there, so you know it's once fired, and practically all the same headstamp.

1 hour ago, KRoyal said:

9mm is the only pistol I have.  I do not like to have several different calibers to keep track of. 

Then why did you ask whether or not you should consider buying a 40?  Shoot your 9 and be done with it.

Edited by zzt

20 minutes ago, zzt said:

Baloney.  40sw brass is just as plentiful as 9mm.  There are buckets of it at my home club, because everybody goes for 9mm and 45.  Or you can go down to the local indoor range and buy a bulk ammo box full of 40sw for $15.  You can only shoot ammo purchased there, so you know it's once fired, and practically all the same headstamp.

Then why did you ask whether or not you should consider buying a 40?  Shoot your 9 and be done with it.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t get a 40, I just said at the moment 9mm is all I own pistol wise. 

8 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

Ditch the magwell and shoot Production... or Carry Optics. 

You get to keep the 9mm, you're not at a disadvantage, and shooting with a dot is a load of fun!

Can I still use the DP extended base pads? I don’t really know where the original base pads are. Also only have 4 mags is that enough to compete every stage? 

22 minutes ago, KRoyal said:

Can I still use the DP extended base pads? I don’t really know where the original base pads are. Also only have 4 mags is that enough to compete every stage? 

In Carry Optics, you can use mags with extensions that are 141.25mm or shorter in overall length. Most +5/6 extensions meet this requirement so you can shoot 23+1 in 9mm

You do, however, need a slide mounted red dot - per the rules.

Production, no you cannot use extensions.

40 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

In Carry Optics, you can use mags with extensions that are 141.25mm or shorter in overall length. Most +5/6 extensions meet this requirement so you can shoot 23+1 in 9mm

You do, however, need a slide mounted red dot - per the rules.

Production, no you cannot use extensions.

I don’t think I can get my slide milled for an optic by Saturday. Maybe in the future. 

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Hmmmnnn...interesting.

Times change...I suppose.

Had an older gentleman show up a few weeks ago to an informal steel pkate shoot.

He had one of those picker upper grabber tools.  He was there scrounging brass and griping about all the .40 brass left on the ground.  He was there for the 9's.

It was cold enough to actually be snowing on us.

I wasn't going to stick around to 'whore up my brass", so I didn't mind.

I'm in the same spot as you, I have a g34 for 3 gun and shoot some outlaw matches with it. I'll eventually shoot limited minor and if I really wanted to go major, I have an xdm 40 I can use.

I did just get a Dillon 550 and get it set up for 9mm and 40.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:30 PM, KRoyal said:

I don’t think I can get my slide milled for an optic by Saturday. Maybe in the future. 

Man - IMO run your G34 in limited minor until you make B class. It's a great way to learn the game - and how to aim.  try to compete hitting 80%-85% alphas and no mikes. Once you reach B class minor scoring will likely be holding you back in limited and its time go shopping for a new gun and press - or you will have moved on to carry optics. 

Limited minor is a fine place to start, and that setup shouldn't hold you back for a while.

If you want power factor to play in less, I would ditch the magwell, pick up 6 new mags, and play in Production.
Get out there and have fun!

I shot my first few matches in Limited minor because that's what I had at the time that was suitable for USPSA. The least of my problem was whether it was major or minor. I still remember the first time the buzzer went off and the tunnel vision that followed. Shooting major would have changed absolutely nothing. 

Also, while you indeed lose points on Charlies, you also have less recoil which can help while you're working on your technique. It's not just the simple math of trading points for time, especially when you're just starting. Remember, the 5-10% improvement is there only after you can control the .40 correctly at speed, not before. It's also quite a small margin even in B class (15% wide), let alone in D (40%) and C (20%). Finally, almost all of your initial match improvement will come from movement and engaging targets sooner, with the extra points being but a rounding error in your new and improved scores. 

4 hours ago, Brooke said:

If you're serious about shooting and not just freaking around you can't give up the scoring advantage of major in Limited. You can not shoot fast enough to make it up. Ever see anybody shoot minor in Open? Come on guys.

this is only really important if you are expecting to win, as opposed to simply improving your own shooting. Obviously you don't want to shoot limited minor for the long-term unless there is some physical disability that prevents you from shooting major, but a beginner is not going to be shooting fast enough to win anyway. Shooting more and practicing and getting better will have a much larger effect on one's score than shooting major for the first year or so.

fwiw, I have seen people shoot minor in open, and win the overall at local matches, just sayin'....

I agree that minor in Limited/Standard has about a 5% overall score penalty. Assuming you can mostly hit Alphas if you take the time to do so. If you go spray and pray with no regard for hits it'll cost more than that.

5% probably isn't that big and you can still learn a lot and get the full experience and benefits of shooting matches.

26 minutes ago, adamge said:

5% probably isn't that big and you can still learn a lot and get the full experience and benefits of shooting matches.

Exactly. Not to mention that the "major premium" requires you to shoot the major well, not merely to shoot it. Shooting well major might or might not be the case with the new shooters because of the extra recoil...

Thanks guys, I've talked myself out of a new gun and going to run my G34 for a while.  The match got rained out last weekend, so next one is Feb 1st.  I was so ready to go and got the email from match director on Thursday that range was flooded.  

I love shooting my Beretta 92. I shoot it for everything. USPSA, IDPA and 3 gun. It fits my hand great and I love shooting it, I don't care if I win ipsc / USPSA , I just want to shoot as fast as a good major power factor shooter, with no misses. I'll take the point penalties and still have a good time and be happy. But that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got out to shoot my first match yesterday. Just ran the 34 in limited and I got 7th out of 13 in the division and 27th out of 37 overall. Not great but better than I thought I was going to do considering it was my first match. My goal was not to get last and not get DQ’d for any stupid mistakes. 

Alpha - 96

Charlie - 41

Delta - 10

Mike - 5 (classifier) 

No Shoot - 0

i need to practice a lot more, but I have a lot fun doing it. Will chop together a video when I get a chance for some critiquing by you guys. 

with my propensity of hitting C’s so much maybe major would be a better choice for me. 

3 minutes ago, KRoyal said:

with my propensity of hitting C’s so much maybe major would be a better choice for me. 

I'm not sure the Charlie's were the issue, it's probably the Delta's and Mike's that killed your scores.

Like others have said, just stick with the 9mm until you're shooting mostly alphas, a few Charlie's and no Delta's, mikes or no shoots.

Yea, just looked back through all the limited scores and I would have only went up to 6th in the division if I had been shooting major. 

and yes the misses were on the classifier weakhand only, left handed for me. 

Edited by KRoyal

16 minutes ago, KRoyal said:

Yea, just looked back through all the limited scores and I would have only went up to 6th in the division if I had been shooting major. 

and yes the misses were on the classifier weakhand only, left handed for me. 

Yep. Way too many Deltas and Mikes there. I suspect the gun didn't cause them. Have patience to get Alphas and some Charlies. You've got to get the points.

3 hours ago, perttime said:

Yep. Way too many Deltas and Mikes there. I suspect the gun didn't cause them. Have patience to get Alphas and some Charlies. You've got to get the points.

My buddy that went with me got the most alphas besides one other person overall not just our division and I beat him because of my speed. But I get what you’re saying but it’s not all about the alphas