Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Minor in limited

KRoyal

Is it even worth shooting minor?  

A little background.

I setup my rig to shoot 3Gun and the G34 seemed like a good way to go for 3Gun.  Wife got pregnant and all the 3Gun matches are around 4 hours round trip from me so fast forward 2 years and I have a 19 month old baby and still haven't shot a 3Gun match yet LOL.  While on Practiscore setting up the matches for my 22LR league that I hold yearly.  I saw a new range holding USPSA matches very close to me about 10 minutes from my house.  

I've shot a few outlaw matches, but was shooting single stack with a 1911 .45.  Thought it was very fun, but really haven't done too much more.  

Now that this range is so close I want to get into shooting it several times a month.  At first I figured I'd just use my G34 with my Safariland ELS belt setup.  It has Apex trigger, ZEV comp springs, extended controls, DP sights, DP ICE Magwell, frame has been stippled and double undercut with finger grooves removed (GEN3).  Fits my hand really well.  Have ELS belt setup with a BOSS hanger and CompTac holser, 3 Safariland mag carriers on ELS forks.  All mags have the DP extended base pads on them.  All ready to go for limited besides one big glaring problem.  I'll have to shoot minor.  

I'm not the greatest of shots to begin with and I think starting out with a hamstring of having to shoot minor will just make it worse.  

So should I put the 34 back in the safe and buy a 40 cal?  If so then which one?  I don't really have 2011 money, plus mags, plus whole new belt setup.  

Should I buy a 35 and do the same mods to that which will put me around $1100 but can still use all my gear?

Should I try to find a Tanfo or CZ TS in 40.  I've found the Tanfo limited, plus mags, mag extensions, and new belt setup for around $1600.  I could probably swing that, but would prefer the CZ so if it ever breaks I don't have to deal with EAA.  

What would you guys do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the G34 & gear that you already have and go shoot.  After a few matches you'll have a better idea on what you want to do going forward. 

Do not go on a gun & gear buying spree up front. You can go on that spree later, after a few matches.

12 minutes ago, BJB said:

Take the G34 & gear that you already have and go shoot.  After a few matches you'll have a better idea on what you want to do going forward. 

Do not go on a gun & gear buying spree up front. You can go on that spree later, after a few matches.

That’s what I’m going to do. I’m shooting the match on Saturday. But just looking ahead. 

Shoot all alphas and then Minor scoring won't matter :)

That's not a helpful answer though. In reality, all of your alternative scenarios are equally good choices . People don't become better shooters by buying new gear, even if new guns are fun. There's an active thread right now "Anyone go back to Glock after trying CZ/Tanfo?" and there are a ton of people who have. If you like Glocks, get another Glock. If you want to try something new, get something new.  If "you're not the best shot" by your own admission, then it doesn't sound like you'll be in the running for a podium spot anyway, so you might as well just shoot with what you have and compete against yourself exclusively.

All that actually matters is whether or not you put in the work to get better.

9 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

Shoot all alphas and then Minor scoring won't matter :)

That's not a helpful answer though. In reality, all of your alternative scenarios are equally good choices . People don't become better shooters by buying new gear, even if new guns are fun. There's an active thread right now "Anyone go back to Glock after trying CZ/Tanfo?" and there are a ton of people who have. If you like Glocks, get another Glock. If you want to try something new, get something new.  If "you're not the best shot" by your own admission, then it doesn't sound like you'll be in the running for a podium spot anyway, so you might as well just shoot with what you have and compete against yourself exclusively.

All that actually matters is whether or not you put in the work to get better.

Ha, would love to get all alphas. I’m actually a pretty decent shot, but still don’t think I’ll be on any podiums anytime soon. I do love Glocks. Every pistol I own is a Glock besides one 1911 22 suppressor host. Carry a 43x at work (slacks and dress shirt) and a 19 with APLc and extra mag AIWB in a side car when wearing jeans and tee shirt. Glock 17 with TLR1 and suppressor for home defense. So I actually do love Glocks and shoot them pretty well.  But the snap of 40 in Glocks I’m not a fan of it. 

You should really try to understand the hit factor scoring and how it's affected by Minor vs Major PF.  I am going to link to the PSTG IG post:  https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Qtq_mJT1Y/ to give you an idea of how much less competitive you will be with a minor gun. 

If you dont really care about having the advantage of major scoring or about diving into the scoring system and how it works - then just shoot what you have and have fun. Just as long as you manage your own expectations.

19 minutes ago, KRoyal said:

I actually do love Glocks and shoot them pretty well.  But the snap of 40 in Glocks I’m not a fan of it. 

If you do go with the G35 eventually, you can add a heavy magwell, guiderod, and frameweight and reduce the snap somewhat. IMO one of the best parts about the plastic guns is that you can easily upgrade and swap parts as you figure out what you like and don't like as time and money allow.  Good luck and have fun

11 minutes ago, nasty618 said:

You should really try to understand the hit factor scoring and how it's affected by Minor vs Major PF.  I am going to link to the PSTG IG post:  https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Qtq_mJT1Y/ to give you an idea of how much less competitive you will be with a minor gun. 

If you dont really care about having the advantage of major scoring or about diving into the scoring system and how it works - then just shoot what you have and have fun. Just as long as you manage your own expectations.

Thanks I’ll take a look at it. I do want to be competitive which is why I’m thinking about switching over to major from the beginning. I shoot long range competition, some carbine matches, and 22 PRS matches which I hold a yearly series called the North Texas Rimfire League. I’d like to be just as competitive in USPSA. 

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

If you do go with the G35 eventually, you can add a heavy magwell, guiderod, and frameweight and reduce the snap somewhat. IMO one of the best parts about the plastic guns is that you can easily upgrade and swap parts as you figure out what you like and don't like as time and money allow.  Good luck and have fun

Ha, I think you're on the THF and have answered some of my questions I've had.  Appreciate it. 

If you decide you really want a 35 you could try to find someone with a 35 and swap uppers. .40 is becoming less popular outside of USPSA so shouldn't be hard to find someone who wants to do that trade. Then if you want to still have option to shoot 9mm for 3 gun you could get a 9mm conversion barrel for 35.

Or just keep the 34 and get a 24 for Limited, that's what I did 🙂

4 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

If you decide you really want a 35 you could try to find someone with a 35 and swap uppers. .40 is becoming less popular outside of USPSA so shouldn't be hard to find someone who wants to do that trade. Then if you want to still have option to shoot 9mm for 3 gun you could get a 9mm conversion barrel for 35.

Or just keep the 34 and get a 24 for Limited, that's what I did 🙂

I found some police trade in 35's for $399 shipped, since I'd be gutting it anyway I don't really care if it was a PD trade in.  I'm definitely looking into the 35, but since it's a pretty big purchase I want to make sure and get it right the first time LOL.

1 hour ago, KRoyal said:

just looking ahead. 

It only matters to you and what you truly want. If you goal is fun and shooting then it truly doesn't matter.

Now if you want to "play the game" you have to recognize the consequence of your choice. It really only matters how you feel at the end of the match.

If you get to a point where you can do the math and honestly show you would be "winning" locally if you shot major pf and that bothers you, knowing "what could be if only..." then you'll know what to do.

I agree with [mention=48449]rowdyb[/mention], if you are just trying to have fun and get better then shoot what you have. If you change your mind later and want to be more competitive then you can change your equipment. With two small ones, your time may be limited anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Better to shoot a match with what you have today than to ponder what equipment to “need” to be more competitive for a couple more years.

In other words: just go shoot.

Be safe and have fun. You won’t win your first match anyway.

the whole point of shooting is to get better. You can easily do that shooting minor.  You can win local matches and at least make it M shooting minor.

or you could take the magwell off and put a dot on it and shoot carry-optics (unless there's something you did to the gun that will make it not-legal for CO).

Edited by motosapiens

12 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

Better to shoot a match with what you have today than to ponder what equipment to “need” to be more competitive for a couple more years.

In other words: just go shoot.

Be safe and have fun. You won’t win your first match anyway.

This is what I'm going to do, won't be buying anything anytime soon unless a deal just jumps out at me.  

8 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

the whole point of shooting is to get better. You can easily do that shooting minor.  You can win local matches and at least make it M shooting minor.

or you could take the magwell off and put a dot on it and shoot carry-optics (unless there's something you did to the gun that will make it not-legal for CO).

If I took the magwell off and the base pads off I could shoot production, I believe everything else that is done to it is legal, but not sure if I want to do that. 

The only way I would shoot minor in Limited is if the only gun I had was 9mm.  That's fine for the close range hoser courses, but not for long range shots and steel.  Steel falls with major even on lousy, or angled hits.  Not so with minor.  When I shot Limited major I bought a new CZ 75 Tactical Sport in 40 an extra mag and extended base pads.  With a belt and holster I was ready to go for $1500.

16 minutes ago, zzt said:

The only way I would shoot minor in Limited is if the only gun I had was 9mm.  That's fine for the close range hoser courses, but not for long range shots and steel.  Steel falls with major even on lousy, or angled hits.  Not so with minor.  When I shot Limited major I bought a new CZ 75 Tactical Sport in 40 an extra mag and extended base pads.  With a belt and holster I was ready to go for $1500.

9mm is the only pistol I have.  I do not like to have several different calibers to keep track of. 

3 hours ago, KRoyal said:

Is it even worth shooting minor?  

A little background.

I setup my rig to shoot 3Gun and the G34 seemed like a good way to go for 3Gun.  Wife got pregnant and all the 3Gun matches are around 4 hours round trip from me so fast forward 2 years and I have a 19 month old baby and still haven't shot a 3Gun match yet LOL.  While on Practiscore setting up the matches for my 22LR league that I hold yearly.  I saw a new range holding USPSA matches very close to me about 10 minutes from my house.  

I've shot a few outlaw matches, but was shooting single stack with a 1911 .45.  Thought it was very fun, but really haven't done too much more.  

Now that this range is so close I want to get into shooting it several times a month.  At first I figured I'd just use my G34 with my Safariland ELS belt setup.  It has Apex trigger, ZEV comp springs, extended controls, DP sights, DP ICE Magwell, frame has been stippled and double undercut with finger grooves removed (GEN3).  Fits my hand really well.  Have ELS belt setup with a BOSS hanger and CompTac holser, 3 Safariland mag carriers on ELS forks.  All mags have the DP extended base pads on them.  All ready to go for limited besides one big glaring problem.  I'll have to shoot minor.  

I'm not the greatest of shots to begin with and I think starting out with a hamstring of having to shoot minor will just make it worse.  

So should I put the 34 back in the safe and buy a 40 cal?  If so then which one?  I don't really have 2011 money, plus mags, plus whole new belt setup.  

Should I buy a 35 and do the same mods to that which will put me around $1100 but can still use all my gear?

Should I try to find a Tanfo or CZ TS in 40.  I've found the Tanfo limited, plus mags, mag extensions, and new belt setup for around $1600.  I could probably swing that, but would prefer the CZ so if it ever breaks I don't have to deal with EAA.  

What would you guys do?

What's the prize table like at local matches?

Is there a brand new Chevy Silverado Z71 pick up truck on the line?

If no, then...

Shoot the 9... at minor...and have fun.

Nobody from this sport is ever going to be on a Wheaties box.

Bonus:  if you do reload, you can fire and forget your 9mm's... leave them in the grass.

9mm brass is bountiful and cheap.

If you do reload, and start shooting .40, then you are going to be "THAT GUY" ...down on your hands and knees scrounging to get your brass back.  

5 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

What's the prize table like at local matches?

Is there a brand new Chevy Silverado Z71 pick up truck on the line?

If no, then...

Shoot the 9... at minor...and have fun.

Nobody from this sport is ever going to be on a Wheaties box.

Bonus:  if you do reload, you can fire and forget your 9mm's... leave them in the grass.

9mm brass is bountiful and cheap.

If you do reload, and start shooting .40, then you are going to be "THAT GUY" ...down on your hands and knees scrounging to get your brass back.  

I don't think there is a prize table, don't know never shot there before.  

I only reload for my 6.5CM for long range competitions and absolutely hate it.  I do not plan to reload for pistols, I'd rather spend a little more on buying ammo than to waste my time.  

8 minutes ago, KRoyal said:

I don't think there is a prize table, don't know never shot there before.  

I only reload for my 6.5CM for long range competitions and absolutely hate it.  I do not plan to reload for pistols, I'd rather spend a little more on buying ammo than to waste my time.  

Stick with the 9mm then.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep... now...

Especially before November