Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powered case trimmer

Hello everyone, I’m looking at a Giraud trimmer and I’d like to set it up in a dedicated motor instead of using a drill. I don’t want to pay for the motor set up they have for sale on their site since it’s $300 more than just the trimmer, I would like to put something together myself.

Has anyone come up a solution for this? I was contemplating a small bench grinder or such, but those spin at about the max speed recommend for the trimmer.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a pulley/belt drive from the bench grinder to reduce final RPM.

Or use a variac to control motor speed.

I didn’t think of mechanically reducing the speed of the grinder, that’s a good idea although may end up getting a little unwieldy and would need a permanent location. Maybe I’ll put some of the engineering classes to work and draw something up.

The variac also sounds like a great option, thanks

I use the TriWay with a bench grinder at full speed.  Has worked fine for three years and running.  Many thousands of .223 cases trimmed.

So you’re using it at about 3450 rpm? I think that’s the average speed I see listed on those bench grinders. What did you use to couple the two together? Did you need to take the threads off the grinder or did you just couple over them?

17 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

So you’re using it at about 3450 rpm? I think that’s the average speed I see listed on those bench grinders. What did you use to couple the two together? Did you need to take the threads off the grinder or did you just couple over them?

Yes, I think it's ~3450 RPM.  It's an old Delta that my dad had.

I used something similar to this.  I think I got mine on ebay though.

https://www.amazon.com/Climax-CC-050-037-Plating-Clamping-Coupling/dp/B005L69UPE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=3%2F8%22+x+1%2F2%22+shaft+coupler&qid=1579126023&sr=8-1

Yes, I think it's ~3450 RPM.  It's an old Delta that my dad had.

I used something similar to this.  I think I got mine on ebay though.

https://www.amazon.com/Climax-CC-050-037-Plating-Clamping-Coupling/dp/B005L69UPE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=3%2F8%22+x+1%2F2%22+shaft+coupler&qid=1579126023&sr=8-1

Awesome, thanks for your help. I saw something similar on YouTube, but wasnt sure if running that close to manufactures max speed of 3500rpm was the best idea or not. Glad to hear it’s been working for you though, I might try one of the cheap $30 grinders for that and leave the other side available to use for a buffing wheel or something.

my Giraud Trimmer is the one reloading tool I will never be without

Well I was thinking the other night while chamfering/deburring 1500 rounds of 223, there has to be a better way. Then I remembered the giraud, which I had seen a while ago but didn’t purchase because it was too expensive for me being a poor college student. Fast forward a couple years and I feel like I need one now, especially since I find myself wanting more uniform brass. Iv heard nothing but great things about them

11 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Awesome, thanks for your help. I saw something similar on YouTube, but wasnt sure if running that close to manufactures max speed of 3500rpm was the best idea or not. Glad to hear it’s been working for you though, I might try one of the cheap $30 grinders for that and leave the other side available to use for a buffing wheel or something.

It's been great.  I turn it on, and then just run cases through it.  Empty the shavings every few hundred rounds and run it again.  My only advice is to insert the case slowly, if you jam a long one in there it will catch and spin in your hand...which makes for a bad time.

On a completely off subject note, can anyone tell me why the link I posted wasn't clickable?

It's been great.  I turn it on, and then just run cases through it.  Empty the shavings every few hundred rounds and run it again.  My only advice is to insert the case slowly, if you jam a long one in there it will catch and spin in your hand...which makes for a bad time.

On a completely off subject note, can anyone tell me why the link I posted wasn't clickable?

The amazon link you posted worked for me on mobile, not sure why it wouldn’t be working for you