Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginners options

McHaggis

New to handguns but been shooting rifles and guns for almost 50 years. 

Looking for ideas on what to buy as my first gun. With my limited knowledge I’m leaning towards a Glock 34 MOS Gen5. 

These sell here for $1799 with equates to US$1195 to we get shafted badly by the importers. 

Looking for opinions on what I should consider for a beginners gun that I can grow into. Purely for competition use only. 

Hard to say, is it possible to buy used or import a gun yourself? Are other brands made in other countries relatively less expensive? Most of us in the USA simply don't know the details. Is there anywhere you can try several different guns? 

But yes, of course a Glock 34 is an excellent first handgun and they are easy to maintain and make small upgrades to. 

So are a lot of other guns though. If a similar M&P or Walther, HK, FN, etc. can be had for a lot less there's no reason not to consider one. 

2 hours ago, McHaggis said:

I’m only looking at 9mm - should I consider others?

Depends on what competitions you're considering, and the

availability and price of other calibers, e.g. .45 and .40.

If 9mm ammo is $20/box and .40 / .45 are $50/box, I'd

probably stick with the 9mm.  If they're similar, I'd consider

the .40, if you are using the gun for something that benefits

you from using Major loading.  But, I don't know what you're

planning on using the gun for.

Can you, or do you, reload ?

You present too little information to be able to provide

valuable observations.

What do you want to do?

My first guess is IPSC. The Glock should work OK for the Production Optics, or PO Light division. Not sure how long PO Light will be around, though.

Here in Northern Europe, people gravitate towards CZ pistols. CZ Shadow 2 for example.

9mm is usually more economical than larger calibers, whether you reload or not. For the Production divisions, it is the logical choice.

Do you want, or need, a red dot sight? As we "mature", it becomes harder to focus at different distances, so a dot can be easier to hit with - but it has its complications. Durability on a pistol slide is still an issue with recent models.

Are you member of some club already, so you can get hands-on help with ... stuff? Not sure how NZ clubs and NZ IPSC Region handle it but in many parts of the world, some formal training is required before you are allowed to practice on your own.

edit:

This must be from some major NZ Match:

Edited by perttime

Make sure that the gun your looking at fits the division and game your planning on competing in. The best recommendation I can give you is show up at the local match, befriend some fellow shooters.  Learn everything you can about the divisions, and think heavily on which division would best fit you. After you decide on which division, find out what the predominating platforms for that division are.  That is the platform I would recommend investing in. All to often I see people go out and just buy something without researching, then get to a match and get stuck in a division they really can't compete or even learn in with the gear they purchased.  Wasted money would have been put to better use buying ammo for practice.  

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Depends on what competitions you're considering, and the

availability and price of other calibers, e.g. .45 and .40.

If 9mm ammo is $20/box and .40 / .45 are $50/box, I'd

probably stick with the 9mm.  If they're similar, I'd consider

the .40, if you are using the gun for something that benefits

you from using Major loading.  But, I don't know what you're

planning on using the gun for.

Can you, or do you, reload ?

You present too little information to be able to provide

valuable observations.

9mm is way cheaper then anything else which is why I'm looking to go 9mm.

Yes I reload (started when I was 12 doing shotshell) and am well set up for precision rifle but not yet setup for pistol of any sort.

I present little info because I just don't know but wanted to go to the club with ideas and some understanding so I don't come across as a complete dick.  

14 hours ago, perttime said:

What do you want to do?

My first guess is IPSC. The Glock should work OK for the Production Optics, or PO Light division. Not sure how long PO Light will be around, though.

Here in Northern Europe, people gravitate towards CZ pistols. CZ Shadow 2 for example.

My first choice was the CZ 75 Shadow 2 but they are like $2499.  The G34 Gen 5 is ONLY!! $1799.  This rabbit hole is worst than precision rifle!

11 hours ago, lee blackman said:

Make sure that the gun your looking at fits the division and game your planning on competing in. The best recommendation I can give you is show up at the local match, befriend some fellow shooters.  Learn everything you can about the divisions, and think heavily on which division would best fit you. After you decide on which division, find out what the predominating platforms for that division are.  That is the platform I would recommend investing in. All to often I see people go out and just buy something without researching, then get to a match and get stuck in a division they really can't compete or even learn in with the gear they purchased.  Wasted money would have been put to better use buying ammo for practice.  

Excellent advise.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, tdp88 said:

If you're shooting IPSC I would stay away from the 34 and look at a 17 instead. 

Why the 17 over the 34?  Sorry, if I don’t ask seemingly basic (to you guys) questions I’ll never learn. 

Opps. I forgot to check what a Glock 34 is...

For the Production Division, the pistol must be on "The List": https://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.php

For Glock, the list says:

17, 17M, 19, 19M, 19X, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 30S, 31, 32, 33, 36, 37, 38, 39, 43, 45.

Also approved: variants with original Glock barrels which are longer than standard (e.g. 17A, 17DK), as well as variants with "Tactical", "Mariner" or similar OFM engravings on the slide, provided the barrel length does not exceed 127mm, and provided all other aspects of these variants fully comply with all other Production Division rules.

Also approved: Gen 4 and SF or FS versions of above models.
Also approved: Gen 5 versions of above models.
Also approved: MOS (Italy: FTO) versions but without optics fitted.
Also approved: TB versions of approved models, provided the barrel length does not exceed 127mm.

NOT APPROVED: 17TB, 18, 24, 25, 28, 34, 35, 41, 42, Pro, L, C models

On 1/13/2020 at 9:47 PM, McHaggis said:

My first choice was the CZ 75 Shadow 2 but they are like $2499.  The G34 Gen 5 is ONLY!! $1799.  This rabbit hole is worst than precision rifle!

I will say that if you can swing it the Shadow 2 is worth every penny more that it costs over the G34. 

I was shooting an older CZ in 9mm tonight and I liked it a lot. Sounds like the shadow 2 is the better option for sure. And if I’m that worried about a few $100 then I’m totally in the wrong sport!

With any CZ you get a better single action trigger. Shooting Production, you do have double action first shots, though. Glocks always have the same trigger pull * . Nothing prevents you from shooting a CZ in the Standard Division, as long as it fits in "the box" (which they do). In Standard you can start cocked and locked, instead of hammer lowered.

* Having handled some different Glocks, they all had different trigger pulls. Some probably had aftermarket parts. Most had pretty long pulls, some were draggy or mushy. My old Glock is not bad: the pull is short and "crisp for a Glock".

Edited by perttime

Thoughts?  

2nd hand Dillon 650 XL with 2 sets of dies, case feeder, 2 powder measures, strong mount, etc for $1600. 6 years old but not used for 5, or so he says. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/reloading/presses/listing-2491667811.htm?rsqid=21c803bbb1e444339430ab00ba3dcb1d-005

or

New 650 with dies but nothing else for $1300?

https://www.workshopinnovation.co.nz/products.asp?cat=143

this will be for 9mm, prob 223 and maybe some case prep for 6.5CM

It’s been suggested over on another forum I should consider the Hornady LNL AP. 
I don’t see too many good words about it here but they are mostly older posts. 
What are the current options? 

So clearly the preferred progressive is a Dillon and this was my first choice too but the poster on the other forum is well respected. 

650’s here are expensive and so are parts. Not that the Hornady is cheap. It’s still about $1900 with dies and a case feeder.

What other options should I consider.  I’m not looking for volume as I’m not at that stage and at best I’m probably only going to load about 500 - 9mm a month. 

If I was only loading 500 a month and worried about money I probably wouldn't get a progressive, a turret, a manual indexing press, or even a single stage could meet that production.

I have a Hornady LnL AP, has worked with very few issues since I set it up, that initial tuning took some patience. Adding the case feeder added some complexity, definitely wouldn't consider that mandatory at 500 a month, I have it and a bullet feeder, I can load over 500 an hour not rushing and counting filling primer tubes. The one time I contacted Hornady CS they were super helpful and friendly.

That said, if I hadn't gotten it as a gift I'd probably have a Dillon. In your shoes I would see if there is any difference in warranty service to your country, the best warranty is useless if they won't ship the parts to you.