Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrading from 1050 pro Autodrive to Revolution, am I sane?

I did the jump from 1050 with autodrive to Revo.  Mine has all the options. Digital powder measure, primer collator, large case feeder. It runs like a champ.  Didn’t have to make an adjustments to case feeder. Powder measure is accurate to .5 grain.  Primer collator runs great but you have to keep it full or adjust speed to number of primers or I’ll get an upside down primer once in a while. Easy to fix before it gets loaded. I load at 2500/hour with no issues. Other than keeping everything filled. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

@Stickman301 only 0.5gr accurate? My digital measure is accurate to 0.02gr. Loaded almost 20,000 rounds tonight and it never varied more than that, and if it did vary it was high by 0.02gr

11 hours ago, Stickman301 said:

I did the jump from 1050 with autodrive to Revo.  Mine has all the options. Digital powder measure, primer collator, large case feeder. It runs like a champ.  Didn’t have to make an adjustments to case feeder. Powder measure is accurate to .5 grain.  Primer collator runs great but you have to keep it full or adjust speed to number of primers or I’ll get an upside down primer once in a while. Easy to fix before it gets loaded. I load at 2500/hour with no issues. Other than keeping everything filled. 

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that variance is dependent on the powder being used. 

Also Slavex, do you normally load that volume of rounds in an evening? How long does that usually take for you, and are you priming? Also I am sure that is caliber specific.

yeah sorry, of course it would depend on what you're loading. I was loading 9mm with Tightgroup and also 5,000 rounds with WSF for the GF. And yup priming as well. I actually had a Federal primer light off tonight, went in cockeyed and detonated on the index to the primer orientation sensor. First time that's happened. I spent 9hrs total loading, but that included swapping out the powder measure for the GF's loads, a snack break and a phone call where I shut it down. 

56 minutes ago, slavex said:

yeah sorry, of course it would depend on what you're loading. I was loading 9mm with Tightgroup and also 5,000 rounds with WSF for the GF. And yup priming as well. I actually had a Federal primer light off tonight, went in cockeyed and detonated on the index to the primer orientation sensor. First time that's happened. I spent 9hrs total loading, but that included swapping out the powder measure for the GF's loads, a snack break and a phone call where I shut it down. 

This is good to know, that's pretty good time loading that amount given your breaks and all. 

Thanks for the info!

On 1/15/2020 at 2:34 AM, slavex said:

Yes, that is the one. Newer models have it in the same spot as I put it. It was fun to rip it apart and fix. Handy having friends with mills and lathes and such, although in the end we just used his big ass drill press and powered tap. 

What speed are you able to reliably load at?

I load at 2500 constantly with a 2 index, which gives me about 2460 or something. Any slower seems like a waste of the machine and doesn't give me any increase in accuracy of the produced round. Now, right now I'm in mostly practice mode, and might try loading some match stuff at a slower speed later this spring/summer, just to double check that statement, but in my tests so far, it's no different, just slower. Over 2500 though, that's a nope. I have the primer collator setup and above 2500 the primers get flung onto their sides as the disc indexes them into position, causing jams and wrecking the primers. No problem decapping at 3500 and sizing, but I mostly do that over on my RL 1050 MK7 Pro, at a wimpy 2400 rounds an hour, cuz I'm too cheap to do the upgrade to the newer motor. Eventually that will be an Evo Pro though, running at 3500/hr just gotta get the funds sorted for that. 

Does the 

17 minutes ago, slavex said:

I load at 2500 constantly with a 2 index, which gives me about 2460 or something. Any slower seems like a waste of the machine and doesn't give me any increase in accuracy of the produced round. Now, right now I'm in mostly practice mode, and might try loading some match stuff at a slower speed later this spring/summer, just to double check that statement, but in my tests so far, it's no different, just slower. Over 2500 though, that's a nope. I have the primer collator setup and above 2500 the primers get flung onto their sides as the disc indexes them into position, causing jams and wrecking the primers. No problem decapping at 3500 and sizing, but I mostly do that over on my RL 1050 MK7 Pro, at a wimpy 2400 rounds an hour, cuz I'm too cheap to do the upgrade to the newer motor. Eventually that will be an Evo Pro though, running at 3500/hr just gotta get the funds sorted for that. 

Does the powder charge still vary depending upon the speed of the press? or did they sort that out?

I am so used to the scale I got a couple years ago going to 0.01 accuracy I forget that a lot of the other scales out there don't. 

The powder measure is no longer affected by the speed of the press like the older one was. I'm guessing the reduced cavity size in the pistol drum is the reason why, along with the double tap at the top of the drump stroke. Something I'd love is the ability to throw powder with a simple press on the tablet, with the digital measure lifted up high enough to trigger a dump (activating the micro switch). Would be great for dialing in the measure. 

Here I am blathering on about my scale going to 0.01 accuracy, nope, it's 0.02 I guess. at least it was today when I was messing with it, could not get readings with 0.01, 0.03, 0.05, 0.07 or 0.09 in them. Weird, I swear I have seen them before.