Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SRO on a Open Gun

funflyr

My main gun has an SRO and is is rock solid and trust it 100% bit still run an RTS2 on my backup and I know people have had issues with them but mine has been great. The SRO I think is more durable but have great luck with both 

I’ve had great luck with the SRO . I have 1 that has 25k plus rounds on my open gun and spent a few months on my CO gun for a few thousand rounds during  the fall/winter and is now back on my open gun. Only have changed the battery once as a contingency to make sure it doesn’t die during a stage . Highly recommend . As for the ghost dot I’ve experienced it once but if you take a plaster and create a very small hood/cowl over the emitter the “problem” goes away . 

27 minutes ago, Silent said:

Anyone have some real world time frames on battery life? Just wondering how often I should proactively change mine to prevent it from dying at an in-opportune moment...

Both of mine are still running with the battery that came with.  At setting 4 the battery is supposed to last three years.  I buy batteries 20 at a time and measure them.  I have some sights and tools that eat batteries.  A good new battery will come in at 3.27V.  When it gets down to 3V, replace it, even though it will continue to work for a while.  At a buck a piece, who cares.  I developed this habit because of my RTS2s.  At 3V the battery will not last another match.  My DPP 2.5s ran all season with the same batteries.  SROs have half a season on them.  Batteries in all my Burris FF3s last at least three years.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Both of mine are still running with the battery that came with.  At setting 4 the battery is supposed to last three years.  I buy batteries 20 at a time and measure them.  I have some sights and tools that eat batteries.  A good new battery will come in at 3.27V.  When it gets down to 3V, replace it, even though it will continue to work for a while.  At a buck a piece, who cares.  I developed this habit because of my RTS2s.  At 3V the battery will not last another match.  My DPP 2.5s ran all season with the same batteries.  SROs have half a season on them.  Batteries in all my Burris FF3s last at least three years.

Good to know thank you for the info. Do you notice the dot starting to dim when the voltage drops?

1 hour ago, Silent said:

Good to know thank you for the info. Do you notice the dot starting to dim when the voltage drops?

Not yet on the SROs and DPPS.  Definitely yes on the RTS2s.  The Burris dims so slowly you can notice it.    On one with a battery used for three years I popped a new one in just for fun and was astounded by how much brighter it was.  Now I replace all batteries once a year, need it or not, or at 3V.  I replace the RTS2 batteries before every match.

As a side note, to turn the SRO off you have to press both buttons in simultaneously and hold them for five seconds.  I don't bother and just case my gun after the last stage Hammer Down, Holster.  So it is on all the way home, and any time the bag moves.  I usually forget to turn it off.  It goes out by itself after 16 hours.

I'm considering an SRO for my open gun. Best price I found is $469.95 (free shipping over $49) from Aim Surplus

https://aimsurplus.com/trijicon-sro-sight-adjustable-led-5-0-moa-red-dot/

Anyone ever buy from them? Several reviews I found slam them, but only on used guns and ammo. I'm assuming if the dot dies I would be mailing it to Trijicon...is this correct?

Edited by quiller

13 hours ago, quiller said:

I'm considering an SRO for my open gun. Best price I found is $469.95 (free shipping over $49) from Aim Surplus

Anyone ever buy from them? Several reviews I found slam them, but only on used guns and ammo. I'm assuming if the dot dies I would be mailing it to Trijicon...is this correct?

I bought an SRO from them around Black Friday. Shipping wasn't the fastest ever, but was fine. No issues.

17 hours ago, zzt said:

Not yet on the SROs and DPPS.  Definitely yes on the RTS2s.  The Burris dims so slowly you can notice it.    On one with a battery used for three years I popped a new one in just for fun and was astounded by how much brighter it was.  Now I replace all batteries once a year, need it or not, or at 3V.  I replace the RTS2 batteries before every match.

As a side note, to turn the SRO off you have to press both buttons in simultaneously and hold them for five seconds.  I don't bother and just case my gun after the last stage Hammer Down, Holster.  So it is on all the way home, and any time the bag moves.  I usually forget to turn it off.  It goes out by itself after 16 hours.

Thanks for the info. Mine seemed slightly dimmer at the last match but maybe it was just brighter out. 

On 2/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, quiller said:

No issues with aim Surplus and yes send back to trijicon. I actually just sent mine back and they emailed me 1 day after receipt saying they will ship out a new one

14 minutes ago, Chompion said:

No issues with aim Surplus and yes send back to trijicon. I actually just sent mine back and they emailed me 1 day after receipt saying they will ship out a new one

Thanks, I ordered one this am.

10 hours ago, Timido said:

Aimsurplus is great to deal with they are local to me.  I was there yesterday shopping and they are who I got my SRO from also

Great, I like happy stories. Looking forward to getting the SRO set up. I mounted an Atlas mount yesterday and with the shim the slide has clearance....and I have lots of clearance between the underside of the mount and the slide top. Hope its not way above the RTS2, but I can adjust my sight picture if necessary.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, zzt said:

Actually, the SRO will dim itself down to setting 3 while in dark storage assuming it is in auto mode. Unless the brightness is locked in after 16.5 hours the optic will come off a manual setting and return to auto mode. This will allow the optic maximize it's battery life while in storage. The optic does not shut off unless you intentionally shut it off or the battery is depleted. Hope this helps clear up the operation of the SRO.

Have been running my open gun with an SRO on a Cheely mount since last year.  Absolutely love the optic overall.  With my astigmatism the Cmore slide ride has a bit more circular definition to the dot, but the sacrifice of that to swap to an optic with a much better foot print was worth it IMO.  It has been an absolutely fantastic optic overall, my only complaint is that the buttons are not as tactile as the buttons on the RMR so turning it off is a bit more of a pain than an RMR; if they were to fix that it would be perfect for me.  While I am currently running the 3 MOA, im probably going to swap over to the 5 MOA, it hasnt been a huge issue thus far but I do find I occasionally lose the dot when swapping to off hand.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Rts2 because you can get it in 3,6,8, and 11 moa

Personally I run an 8 moa on my open setup

Rts2 is garvage.....it just dims and disappears in bright sun....so I switched to a holosun 510c and it's been perfect....also adds a little weight up top if you keep the shroud on