Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 FTF Out of the Box

BHogan

Hi, hoping to get some help with a band new SP-01.  I've had it for about three weeks and have run about 200 rounds through it at the most, and it's had a FTF about every third mag from day one.  The rounds are just not making it into the chamber, so when I drop the mag they drop out. I've tried a variety of ammo including AE, Blazer brass, and S&B, which is a littl hotter than the other two.  Am I right that it's likely just short cycling from too heavy a recoil spring? Anything else I should look at?   Thanks! 

Thanks for all the responses.  I was thinking after I posted and realized I can't say for sure it's not the same mag each time, so did go ahead and mark them so i can monitor.  The follower on one feels like it kind of hangs up right about where in the mag I'm getting the FTF, always seems to be with about four rounds to go.  I'll keep bangin' away and see what i learn!

11 hours ago, GeneBray said:

Possible issues are probable one or both of the two previous posts. What weight Bullets? What form factor? And finally COL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's been three different cartridges, 115gr Federal and Blazer, and 124gr S&B, all just basic FMJ.  I shot all the S&B, but looks like the Federal is .1153" and the Blazer is .1156". 

4 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Do this mod. It is very easy and will most likely solve your issues. 

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=22862.0

I'll definitely give that a shot, seems like a good shortcut to break in anyway, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well, I've run few hundred more rounds though it and what I'm finding is that it's both mags, and only at the top of the mag, like in the first 4-5 rounds, and basically every time now.. Seems to happen most often around round 2 or 3 that makes any sense.  It's getting stuck right at the base of the feed ramp and to clear it I have to drop the mag and the round usually hit falls through down the well. These are 18 round mags, and I'm wondering if they're binding up when full. Is it possible they just need to loosen up? Would storing them full help at all? 

2 hours ago, eerw said:

lighter recoil spring, heavier magazine spring.

or hotter  ammo

Thanks Stuart.  Is the reason it's happening with a full mag likely because of the extra mass the mag spring is working against slowing it down? That seems to make sense.  I'll get that ordered tonight. +5%?

Also, what would you recommend on the recoil spring for most factory ammo, like 14#?  I'm running a 13# hammer spring. 

Edited by BHogan

2 hours ago, BHogan said:

Thanks Stuart.  Is the reason it's happening with a full mag likely because of the extra mass the mag spring is working against slowing it down? That seems to make sense.  I'll get that ordered tonight. +5%?

Also, what would you recommend on the recoil spring for most factory ammo, like 14#?  I'm running a 13# hammer spring. 

Iam using a 13# recoil spring with factory ammo. 

On 2/12/2020 at 5:26 PM, BHogan said:

Also, what would you recommend on the recoil spring for most factory ammo, like 14#?  I'm running a 13# hammer spring

that and the factory  recoil springIs heavy for most US made ammo .

i use 11# recoil and 12#-13# mainspring