Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VP9 magazine release type? Button or paddle?

verla

I am thinking about buying a VP9 to shoot competitively with it. Those of you have been shooting this pistol in competition, which magazine release do you prefer? Button or paddle and why?

My current pistols (STI eagle and open, springfield XD and XDM, Wilson A2) all have the button magazine release and I wonder how effective I would be with a paddle mag release. I am right handed.

Have tried both in the store and the paddle seems to be more difficult for me- only tried it several times and not during a match.

As a background: my first gun ever was HK with a paddle, I started to compete with HK with a paddle, i am very comfortable operating it with my trigger finger which is the way it is intended.

On a big scheme of things, it doesn't matter as much. HK fanboys will tell you that paddle is faster and you don't need to change your grip to drop the mag. The former is not true as dropping the mag is not a rate limiting step when doing a reload. Grip change is indeed minimal but so it is for me with a number of button guns. I know some people who cant get their trigger finger to the paddle well. I also know a former HK team member who had an ND by hitting trigger instead of a paddle. 

Overall,  for a carry / duty I prefer paddle due to a complete ambidexterity. For competition I prefer button, if anything, for a crossover with my other game guns.

I went with the B model just because it's what I'm familiar with. The VP is a really great gun, good trigger and accurate. I'm a fan of it after only a few hundred rounds. 

I have the VP9 with paddle. I can honestly say that (at least for me) my reloads are smoother and faster with the paddle than with a gun with a button. I think it is mostly due to the fact that with the paddle I can release the mag without havingn to break my strong hand grip on the pistol.