Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio vs czechmates

Colby_Bedell

With all due respect Eric and J.J could win matches shooting any open gun. But with that being said, they were both 38 super/comp and the Czechmate is only available in 9mm.

The Tanfo has a very short comp and relies on the barrel porting to keep the gun flat. It take a lot more powder when you have a V12 set up so you probably would have trouble making major in 9mm like that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

With all due respect Eric and J.J could win matches shooting any open gun. But with that being said, they were both 38 super/comp and the Czechmate is only available in 9mm.

The Tanfo has a very short comp and relies on the barrel porting to keep the gun flat. It take a lot more powder when you have a V12 set up so you probably would have trouble making major in 9mm like that.

All of this is correct, except.....making major.  When I got a Tanfo V12 9mm I was a bit worried about it because of what I had read in various forums.  I turned out to be pretty easy if you keep the basics in mind.  After a LOT of testing here is what I found on gold team.....others may differ.  be careful!

-!! short mags with a spacer in rear!! 1.140 max oal.  (I actually set my seating die to 1.135)  If I go any longer I start getting a random feed issue.  Rmr has a 124 jhp multi purpose round with profile that is about .020 shorter that a montana gold or rmr jhp.  Loading 1.140 with the rmr is about the same case volume as loading others to 1.160.

-watch your primers.  Most people accept flattened but don't want flowed or melted, obviously.  I use cci500 at minimum, Win small pistol didn't make the cut at all.

-Autocomp and HS6 will make major easily without too much volume.  The AC is cleaner and the HS6 is a bit softer and I think more gas for the comp and popples.  Both will load on my dillon without spillage.  Though there are better gasy powders like Major Pistol they would splash out of the case while loading so not for me.

-I got the least dot movement when my pf is between 172 and 175.  That's where I like it.  Yes, the concussion and blast is pretty radical, but luckily I don't have any arthritis lol.

-Yes, 38sc is better in every respect, except $$.  No experience, but I bet this is especially true with the GT v12, but I don't know how the short cycle function tanfo handles the longer oal.  May get one some day when I get rich.....hmmmm Extreme?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 6:50 AM, Dan4147 said:

All of this is correct, except.....making major.  When I got a Tanfo V12 9mm I was a bit worried about it because of what I had read in various forums.  I turned out to be pretty easy if you keep the basics in mind.  After a LOT of testing here is what I found on gold team.....others may differ.  be careful!

-!! short mags with a spacer in rear!! 1.140 max oal.  (I actually set my seating die to 1.135)  If I go any longer I start getting a random feed issue.  Rmr has a 124 jhp multi purpose round with profile that is about .020 shorter that a montana gold or rmr jhp.  Loading 1.140 with the rmr is about the same case volume as loading others to 1.160.

-watch your primers.  Most people accept flattened but don't want flowed or melted, obviously.  I use cci500 at minimum, Win small pistol didn't make the cut at all.

-Autocomp and HS6 will make major easily without too much volume.  The AC is cleaner and the HS6 is a bit softer and I think more gas for the comp and popples.  Both will load on my dillon without spillage.  Though there are better gasy powders like Major Pistol they would splash out of the case while loading so not for me.

-I got the least dot movement when my pf is between 172 and 175.  That's where I like it.  Yes, the concussion and blast is pretty radical, but luckily I don't have any arthritis lol.

-Yes, 38sc is better in every respect, except $$.  No experience, but I bet this is especially true with the GT v12, but I don't know how the short cycle function tanfo handles the longer oal.  May get one some day when I get rich.....hmmmm Extreme?

You can make major of course but not with preferred slower burning powders like 3N38 for example. I started with Autocomp and it is a good powder but 3N38 works the comp so much better.