Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio vs czechmates

Colby_Bedell

9 minutes ago, clw42 said:

He also mentioned going with a production because he doesn’t want to spend an incredible amount of money. For those of us with a wife and multiple kids(3 for me) spending 4K or more on a pistol isn’t realistic. I would rather buy a production gun and put 2k into my kids college or savings accounts. If you are world class sure but not for your 1st gun

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you buy a Tanfoglio and have any problems people will blame the design and that you should have got a 2011 even though there are threads in this section about 2011's with similar problems

if you plan on competing with it you will have to work twice as hard to get half the respect as a 2011 or Czechmate

1 minute ago, Fo0 said:

if you buy a Tanfoglio and have any problems people will blame the design and that you should have got a 2011 even though there are threads in this section about 2011's with similar problems

if you plan on competing with it you will have to work twice as hard to get half the respect as a 2011 or Czechmate

I think it’s crazy to spend 1000s so people respect your gun. I shoot to have fun. If you bag on someone because they can’t spend as much money as you well then you’re an @$$hole. We get enough grief from anti gunners. We should support each other and not act like elitists 

4 hours ago, PhotoRecon said:

Please excuse my ignorance with the Tanfoglio line. Is this the Tanfoglio being compared to the Czechmate? 

EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Gold Custom Xtreme Open Race Gun - 9mm

yes and no, the base gold team (hard chromed not black) is much less expensive than the xtreme version of the same gun, the extreme does come with a couple extra mags (these are not 140s or 170s so still need aftermarket bases) and it comes with some upgraded trigger components, a optic and grips . non of that justifies the extra $2k they want for them, as it has the same V12 barrel and comp as the lower cost version.

I set up a Gold team for my wife last year and the bigest thing I found was run round nose bullets, either MG TMJs or a coated bullet with a good coating just get over not being able to run the same hollow points as the 2011 guys do  (blue bullets work well in hers with no leading) 

For 170mm mags the Taylor Freelance extensions work great on factory 9mm mags, you have to load to reasonable lengths but it will run. 

I did make a new comp for her gun to eliminate the popple holes as she is pretty blast sensitive so her loads are right in line with my 2011 loads running a non ported barrel, running 9mm with the V12 barrel would just take some playing around to find a load that doesn't require silly high pressure to make major.

I have both the Czechmate and the Tanfoglio.  I presently shoot the CZ and it is a very tight running gun.  As for the TF it doesn't have a 170mm mag that will work unless you weld two of the K9s together and I have two of the Taylor Freelance extensions and neither of them will cycle consistently.  I also have the 170 MBX and it never cycles consistently.  The best way I found to shoot a TF open gun is to use the Witness and convert it over to an open gun by purchasing the 6" barrel and cutting it down and thread the end.  Then add a custom compensator like the John Durso one.  Iv'e done this on two and they work great.  One has the Durso comp and the other has a custom comp a little shorter than the Durso comp.  Another issue with the Tanfoglio Gold is that there comp is too short.

i shoot CZ and have done it for several years and you know what? i will start bad mouthing the CM too cuz this way i will be able to buy used ones dead cheap :D
im getting one for 2k, still in the original box, a new barrel and 15k rounds on it. i have a CM i paid 2.6k with less than 5k minor rounds through it 

the CM will work very realiably, and i mean VERY reliably out of the box if the following conditions are satisfied:

- the owner refrains from "improving" the gun

- ammo is of reasonable quality. i reload mixed brass and gun just keeps working. all my malfunctions are ammo related when shooting poorly made ammo (reloaded in a hurry)

and i clean the gun every 4-5k rounds...

all open guns will eventually fail. seen every sort of 2011 fail and malfunction, sometimes spectacularly. tanfo will fail, CZ will fail. 

is true that barrels break, but that will happen every 30k rounds so not every day, and a broken barrel will still get you to the end of the stage.
slide locks break. fit a new one for matches, problem solved.

IMHO, the gun doesnt matter as long as it works. buying X gun rather than Y gun will not improve your match results. 

and changing gun will require several thousand rounds just to re-adapt. and when at the end of this process  you see that you shoot better is not because the different gun, but because of the extra 10k rounds sent downrange.

top shooters change gun to improve their results? nope. they change it cuz they get a better deal from the manufacturer.  and they keep kicking everybody else's ass. 

On 1/18/2020 at 9:51 PM, scduckman03 said:

Just got a gold team 9 major upper for my limited custom frame. Looks great in my opinion. Hopefully I will have it running some ammo soon. 

9B41AFA6-8CDE-414D-A94F-E8E477C571C7.jpeg

Curious to hear if you have brass hitting the back of your red dot.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:48 AM, Dan4147 said:

Curious to hear if you have brass hitting the back of your red dot.

Not yet.. because the 9major rounds I bought from Everglades and black dot won’t fit. Had to mail the pistol and Ammo to the smith to have the barrel reamed out more to accept the loads.. would have thought most 9major rounds were close to the same length.. hopefully get it back in a week or so and will let you know.

6 hours ago, scduckman03 said:

Not yet.. because the 9major rounds I bought from Everglades and black dot won’t fit. Had to mail the pistol and Ammo to the smith to have the barrel reamed out more to accept the loads.. would have thought most 9major rounds were close to the same length.. hopefully get it back in a week or so and will let you know.

Ok.  Reaming is std thing.  Are you using 9 mags with the spacer in the back?  If so, 1.140 oal is the longest I can use and run 100%. Longer gives mag feeding issues, particularly with extended base pads.  In my case anyway. 

Tanfo performs better.  I've shot both.  JJ won nationals with the v12 Gold.  Eric won EVERYTHING with the v12 gold.

The v-ports are just so much better for straight up and down tracking. I've spoke with both JJ and Eric about that and we all get the same impression in terms of v-ports.  I haven't talked to either of them in a long time, but I'd be real curious where they are in terms of porting on their Berettas or CZs. It may just be impractical for Beretta or CZ to accomplish on their handguns.  

To make my most recent Tanfo Gold Team run, I had to increase extractor tension, buy Mec Gar Mags, tune the feed lips to .340", polish the underside of the slide and round off the front underside edge of the breech face.  I also made a few other personal adjustments.

Not too much to do if someone tells you what to do straight off;  but, a whole lot of trouble shooting if you have to figure out what I just told you.

I'm not a gunsmith and I'm not recommending you do any of the things I listed - perform at your own risk.   

On 1/26/2020 at 11:10 PM, Whoops! said:

Tanfo performs better.  I've shot both.  JJ won nationals with the v12 Gold.  Eric won EVERYTHING with the v12 gold.

The v-ports are just so much better for straight up and down tracking. I've spoke with both JJ and Eric about that and we all get the same impression in terms of v-ports.  I haven't talked to either of them in a long time, but I'd be real curious where they are in terms of porting on their Berettas or CZs. It may just be impractical for Beretta or CZ to accomplish on their handguns.  

To make my most recent Tanfo Gold Team run, I had to increase extractor tension, buy Mec Gar Mags, tune the feed lips to .340", polish the underside of the slide and round off the front underside edge of the breech face.  I also made a few other personal adjustments.

Not too much to do if someone tells you what to do straight off;  but, a whole lot of trouble shooting if you have to figure out what I just told you.

I'm not a gunsmith and I'm not recommending you do any of the things I listed - perform at your own risk.   

Yep.  Did what you did along with the Patriot Defense bolo and Titan hammer.  Also, when I added extended mag bases, went nose dive crazy.   And grams guts may have had something to do with the issue.  Took a dremel grinder tip and "ramped" the front control ribs inside the tubes at the bottom and solved that.  The "bump" was just too abrupt I guess.  Did one tube on both front and rear control ribs and it worked just as good.  Fwiw......

3 hours ago, Dan4147 said:

Yep.  Did what you did along with the Patriot Defense bolo and Titan hammer.  Also, when I added extended mag bases, went nose dive crazy.   And grams guts may have had something to do with the issue.  Took a dremel grinder tip and "ramped" the front control ribs inside the tubes at the bottom and solved that.  The "bump" was just too abrupt I guess.  Did one tube on both front and rear control ribs and it worked just as good.  Fwiw......

I haven’t heard of this.  I will try to find the “control ribs” this evening.  I’m guessing they are on Mec Gar mags?  Ironically, I haven’t had any nose dive issues since I turned in the Feed lips (the .340 was narrower than factory to get it to work, believe it or not - opposite the experience I’ve had with 2011’s). But it would still be nice to make the mags run smoother.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Whoops! said:

I haven’t heard of this.  I will try to find the “control ribs” this evening.  I’m guessing they are on Mec Gar mags?  Ironically, I haven’t had any nose dive issues since I turned in the Feed lips (the .340 was narrower than factory to get it to work, believe it or not - opposite the experience I’ve had with 2011’s). But it would still be nice to make the mags run smoother.

Thanks

The ribs end where the spring and follower would normally set full mag. Adding a aftermarket base and follower allows everything passing below the ribs. Bullets did not transition up past the rib bump well. Just bevel that bump a little and polish. 

Your feed lip tune is new to me. I get a shell left in not ejected occasionally.  I may try a mag 340 to see if lower bullet presentation makes a difference for me.