Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 vs. SP-01

Stafford

I've had very little experience with CZ's other than rentals. I had previously tired a 75B over a year ago and more recently, rented a Shadow 2 - twice and a P-01. As a result, I've purchased a Shadow 2 and now a regular safety model SP-01. I've had the S2 to the range twice and it has been very accurate, and smooth. Very nice. For the past couple of days I've dry fired both the S2 and SP-01 (snap caps) and could tell a difference in the trigger weights. Still the SP-01 didn't seem bad at all, just not as great as the S2.

Today, I tried them out together on a local steel range. Wow! BIG Difference. The S2 is a dream to shoot compared to the SP-01. Trigger, sights, everything. I really didn't think the difference would be so extreme, but it is. I'll keep shooting and dry firing the SP-01 and see how it breaks in. But it looks like sights and trigger work may be in it's future. I really think I may just keep the S2 stock.

Yeah, I knew there would be a difference, but I didn’t realize that big of a difference. The last time I rented a Shadow 2, I also rented a P-01. And I shot the P-01 very well - on paper targets. So, I guessed that the heavier, longer SP-01 would be that good as well. I’ll try it out on paper at my regular range a time or two before trying steel again.

You can put the CGW "ultra-lite" kit into a SP-01 and close most of the gap to the Shadow 2 in terms of trigger feel. The lack of a FPB in the S2 does make the reset shorter, but most people won't notice the difference in live fire. Do a full polish and install the CGW pro package and the only noticeable thing you'll give up on a fully tuned S2 is the weight. 

I’ve got a fully tuned SP01 that has just under a 6lb da and 2lb sa pull, the gun does not hold be back. As long as the trigger has been worked over and it has the correct springs they can be very competitive. I’ve got friends that have Shadow 2’s that think my trigger is just a good, mine just had a bit more reset due to the FPB.

15 minutes ago, mveto said:

I’ve got a fully tuned SP01 that has just under a 6lb da and 2lb sa pull, the gun does not hold be back. As long as the trigger has been worked over and it has the correct springs they can be very competitive. I’ve got friends that have Shadow 2’s that think my trigger is just a good, mine just had a bit more reset due to the FPB.

This ^^^

35 minutes ago, mveto said:

Is that compared to tuned Shadow 2’s? At this point, I’m pretty happy with my S2 even though I know it could be better. I’d be happy if my SP-01 could be tuned to the point of my stock Shadow 2.

The hammer in the S2 is significantly improved compared to the factory SP-01 hammer which is absolute trash.  If you don't want to pay for a full Pro Package from Cajun Gun Works, just pick up an adjustable sear and hammer kit from them for less than $150.  It isn't that hard to install and it really improves trigger break (it will be even better than the factory S2 trigger when you're done).

36 minutes ago, mveto said:

So what's your 'list' for "fully tuned"? The new SP01 hasn't cooled off from the trip from the LGS yet and looking for tune ups.

I’ve got both S2’s and SP01 Shadow 1’s 

when they are both ‘tuned’ they are very similar as far as trigger.  The biggest difference is the grip/ergonomics/weight 

and one of my S1’s trigger is still better than my S2’s. 

4 hours ago, Stafford said:

Is that compared to tuned Shadow 2’s? At this point, I’m pretty happy with my S2 even though I know it could be better. I’d be happy if my SP-01 could be tuned to the point of my stock Shadow 2.

Yes, see below 

4 hours ago, Bench said:

So what's your 'list' for "fully tuned"? The new SP01 hasn't cooled off from the trip from the LGS yet and looking for tune ups.

I’ll try to remember all that’s been done to my SP01:

CZ Comp Hammer

11.5lb main spring

11lb recoil spring

CGW Pro package minus the CGW hammer & firing pin

CZC extended firing pin

CGW 10x bushing

Tuned/timed firing pin block

More polishing than I can even think of, while there might be a little bit more creep with the CZ comp hammer over the CGW and a bit more reset it’s not noticeable while shooting at speed. Everyone that’s pulled my trigger really likes it. Don’t get me wrong if I could get a Shadow 2 and not have to pay the California (they sell for $2100+ here) markup I would but the SP01 has not let me down yet.

12 hours ago, Stafford said:

My tuned SPO1 Shadow 1s were nicer/smoother/better than my stock S2s.  No question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 5:18 PM, LuvDog said:

I’ve got both S2’s and SP01 Shadow 1’s 

when they are both ‘tuned’ they are very similar as far as trigger.  The biggest difference is the grip/ergonomics/weight 

I second this. I also have both, a S2 and a CGW upgraded SP01, very much prefer the grip/ ergonomics / extra weight of the S2.