Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I would be worried about ricochet too... I worked a call once where a gent decided he was going to shoot out his wife's tires with a 45 acp and he ended up gut shooting himself.

Not something I'd try anytime soon, but it seems odd that in many of the exercises he draws to the right side target first.  It seems always going to the target in front of you would be better.

Is right, left, front, back better?

I understand what scanning the area is for after shooting, but I wo wonder if, for many, it simply becomes a movement rather than a true scan.  It strikes somewhat like some of the old training where the shooter would pocket his brass when reloading even in an actual gunfight, because that was the habit developed  on the training range.  Scanning and seeing may not always be the same.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot of awesome there. In addition to the points you guys raise, I think idea of shooting a target (applying deadly force?) without looking at your target/threat will always turn out well, with no possible negative consequences. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, Guy Neill said:

Not something I'd try anytime soon, but it seems odd that in many of the exercises he draws to the right side target first.  It seems always going to the target in front of you would be better.

Is right, left, front, back better?

I understand what scanning the area is for after shooting, but I wo wonder if, for many, it simply becomes a movement rather than a true scan.  It strikes somewhat like some of the old training where the shooter would pocket his brass when reloading even in an actual gunfight, because that was the habit developed  on the training range.  Scanning and seeing may not always be the same.

I think the concept is the right side target is closest to being able to block/grab the gun, so eliminate it first.

Good logic.  Of course we are dealing with reaction times.  In any order, the 2nd, 3rd or 4rth people, with good reactions, could interfere.

My worry is the potential for binding the gun in the holster with the draw to the side rather than straight ahead.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:26 AM, Shep said:

I would be worried about ricochet too... I worked a call once where a gent decided he was going to shoot out his wife's tires with a 45 acp and he ended up gut shooting himself.

That’s what I call instant karma

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2020 at 8:46 PM, outerlimits said:

now that right there is funny...

And we laugh because it's funny, and we laugh because it's true.

I'd bet $20 to a donut, if he ever found himself in a situation he is practicing there, he'd soil his panties before he ever got his pistol out of the holster.