Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First revolver suggestions?


Recommended Posts

On 1/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, jbultman said:

 


 

Thank you all for a response. I think I’m at a point where I do want to load a caliber that I already have, don’t want to get the stuff to load something I need to get dies and brass and etc for....I don’t know if I will ever shoot revolver in a competition. My thought currently is if I want to then I will get something more suitable for it, ie 8-shot 9mm/38 something. 
 

Currently looking at a S&W 610/986, Ruger LCR/LCRx or SP101.

 

Thanks again

 

 

Those are all fine choices. The 610 is the most versatile if you ever want to toy with competing (a 4" is an ideal choice as an IDPA ESR gun). That being said, I do love the SP101 frame size.

 

Not that I'd recommend ANYONE going full-stupid like me, but these are all 9mm or 40 and I do compete (poorly) with them...

 

49125861561_c26ee65a64_c.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, matteekay said:

 

 

Those are all fine choices. The 610 is the most versatile if you ever want to toy with competing (a 4" is an ideal choice as an IDPA ESR gun). That being said, I do love the SP101 frame size.

 

Not that I'd recommend ANYONE going full-stupid like me, but these are all 9mm or 40 and I do compete (poorly) with them...

 

49125861561_c26ee65a64_c.jpg

 

 

Don't show me that, now I want a Rhino!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 9:27 PM, BZ919 said:

I bought a 6” 610. I’ve wanted a 10mm pistol for deer hunting for a while, but couldn’t justify the high cost of an auto. I broke my leg this fall and thought shooting Revo would be entertaining while I recovered. Add those together, and the 610 was justified (at least in my mind).

What I’ve learned:

1. Revo is fun!!

2. Revo major is a severe handicap. Standing reloads are unavoidable. If you want to be competitive, minor with 8 rounds is the way to go.

3. Gunbroker and bourbon do not mix. I got an unbelievably great deal on a 4” 610 when my low ball bid actually won. So now I have 2 610s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunbroker and bourbon do not mix........ NOW you tell me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, perttime said:

 

How is holster selection for the Rhino now?

 

Not bad, actually. If you're into full-blown race holsters, Ghost makes a model specifically for the Rhino that works really well. I use the Chiappa/Ghost molded plastic one for the 6" Rhino - I've cut it all the way down to the front sight so it's a pretty short draw. Unfortunately, the Ghost hole spacing doesn't align with anyone else's so I made my own hanger for it.

 

There's lots of companies making Kydex holsters for the Rhino - my favorite is Dara. I bought their IDPA holster and then trimmed it down to the smallest it can go and still be IDPA legal. Like most companies, they only make a holster for the 4" Rhino (there are only two Rhino holster drones on the market - a 2" and a 4"). The good thing is that Chiappa uses one frame and attaches the longer barrels, so a 4" holster will work for a 2", 3", and 5" (as long as it doesn't wrap in front of the muzzle (and if it does - dremel time!)). 6" models, like my pair of Charging Rhinos, have the top rail so they need a specific holster.

 

While I'm on my long-winded soapbox... I also dabble in Kydex, so I'll probably make my own holster at some point specifically for the 5".  

 

 

1 minute ago, MikeyScuba said:

I'd be curious to try a Rhino....

 

I'll have the Charging Rhino out at the Rocky Mountain Regional and the IRC. Grab me and give it a whirl!

 

I maintained for a bit that they'd never be as fast in competition as a Smith. I'm starting to backtrack a bit on that - with a little work (and a really good triggerman), I think they can hang. I'd never argue that they're better - only different. The difference-maker for me was having Toolguy/Protocall chamfer the ledges inside the cylinders on the .40 S&W guns. Suddenly, I can drop loaded moons from... the moon... and not have to worry about them seating all the way.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

My 929 - a real pain in the butt with leading until I switched to 0.358 bullets - had to be sent back to S&W to get a damaged crane repaired, took 4-5 months and communication was awful - needs more pristine brass than my semi autos - needs a Lee U die to keep bullets from walking - very accurate and with a BossHoss trigger job a very smooth 5.5 - 6# trigger.

 

My 9mm SuperGP100 - Had to be sent back to have a new pawl fitted, took 8 days and communication was excellent - Wants very pristine brass, absolutely more fussy than the 929 - 7.5# trigger at present, hoping to take off 1# - still working to find a load it likes - seems built like a tank compared to S&W.

 

My 10mm Ruger match champion (4.2" barrel , 6 shot) - with moon clips shoots mouse fart 40's or hot 10's or anything in between - put in a $20.00 Mcarbo spring kit and polished, otherwise it was plug and play - do not know about accuracy potential yet, burning through the lead that I have.

 

For what it is worth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

My 9mm SuperGP100 - Had to be sent back to have a new pawl fitted, took 8 days and communication was excellent - Wants very pristine brass, absolutely more fussy than the 929 - 7.5# trigger at present, hoping to take off 1# - still working to find a load it likes - seems built like a tank compared to S&W.

 

My .357 Super GP100 is sitting at about the same spot—have you done anything to it beyond spring swaps? I have some stuff to try polishing some bearing surfaces, but I'm curious if you've had luck with any other modifications.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

 

My .357 Super GP100 is sitting at about the same spot—have you done anything to it beyond spring swaps? I have some stuff to try polishing some bearing surfaces, but I'm curious if you've had luck with any other modifications.

 

Nothing beyond polishing and knocking the spur off of the hammer, pretty much what is shown in the Mcarbo u-tube video except the hammer bob. 

 

We are in the same boat, I'm seeking knowledge for things to look at. For some reason my 10mm match champion has a smoother/better feel.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

If they made an 8-round 9mm Rhino, I might have gone with that as a competition gun for the ultimate hipster factor, but alas—I emailed them back in 2017 or 2018, and they said they didn't have any plans for an 8-round gun at that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

If they made an 8-round 9mm Rhino, I might have gone with that as a competition gun for the ultimate hipster factor, but alas—I emailed them back in 2017 or 2018, and they said they didn't have any plans for an 8-round gun at that time.

Total non-sequitor but two Chiappa shooters were at the 2019 IRC (speaking in Italian and everything!). Perhaps an in person plea might help.

 

I know nothing of the internal workings of Ruger but I’d be surprised if the IRC survey from 2018 had no factor in the genesis of the Super GP100.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are not going to compete in USPSA and just want a revolver that is a lot of fun to shoot I too recommend the 617 10 shot .22.  You don't have to worry about reloading and if you can find them .22s are a lot cheaper than the alternatives.  You can still do all the upgrades to a 617 but it truly does not need anything to be a great shooter right out of the box.  Mine has been highly modified but I like shooting it in Steel Challenge Matches. 

 

You can get DS-10 speed loaders and loading blocks for it if you want, making going to the range a pleasure instead of having to load 1o rounds individually into the cylinder.

 

 

617 new hammer facing left 2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AzShooter said:

If you are not going to compete in USPSA and just want a revolver that is a lot of fun to shoot I too recommend the 617 10 shot .22.  You don't have to worry about reloading and if you can find them .22s are a lot cheaper than the alternatives.  You can still do all the upgrades to a 617 but it truly does not need anything to be a great shooter right out of the box.  Mine has been highly modified but I like shooting it in Steel Challenge Matches. 

 

You can get DS-10 speed loaders and loading blocks for it if you want, making going to the range a pleasure instead of having to load 1o rounds individually into the cylinder.

 

 

 

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 9:11 AM, Kustom said:

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

The speed loaders and loading block are must-haves. 

 

Just don't try to go too low on the trigger-pull weight, (mine is DAO at 7-1/4#). As long as it's smooth, it'll be fine. It has to have a strong strike for rimfire, especially for the cheap bulk stuff.

 

I try to shoot mine at the end of each range session. It helps me to remember to keep the trigger moving.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...