Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for ASP powder for Extreme 135gr HP bullets?

chgofirefighter

Standard load workup process applies.
The OAL will be your blend of "fits the mag and plunks the barrel" and charge weight will be a modest starting point based on closest weight/style bullet.

We know from Xtreme FAQ that load data for their bullets is around the midrange point for jacket bullets.

So perhaps a starting weight 10% lower than the minimum FMJ/JHP charge and work up in small intervals. Chrono for power factor or run until cycles - whichever meets your need.

Welcome to the world of unpublished data.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

A number of threads on ASP; don't recall any postings specific to that bullet.

I can give you a very general reference point for a 135 grain load: 4.0 grains ASP gets low 130 power factor with a 135 grain RMR jacketed flat point.

(that is out of a 320 X5)

Note that bullet is jacketed, not plated. Plated would typically be a little less for the same PF.

Chrono data is in this thread: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/281234-sport-pistol/page/2/#comments

That thread also mentions a Blue Bullets 135 grain load at 3.6 grains if I recall correctly. That seems about right for a coated load at minor PF.

24 minutes ago, ddc said:

A number of threads on ASP; don't recall any postings specific to that bullet.

I can give you a very general reference point for a 135 grain load: 4.0 grains ASP gets low 130 power factor with a 135 grain RMR jacketed flat point.

(that is out of a 320 X5)

Note that bullet is jacketed, not plated. Plated would typically be a little less for the same PF.

Chrono data is in this thread: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/281234-sport-pistol/page/2/#comments

That thread also mentions a Blue Bullets 135 grain load at 3.6 grains if I recall correctly. That seems about right for a coated load at minor PF.

That's too much powder , in my experience, for a 135 gr bullet (not unsafe, just way over minor PF).

For 147s, I'm at 3.1/3.2 gr ASP

For 124/125s, I'm at 3.8/3.9gr ASP

Both of the above get me to 130-ish PF

So... for 135gr bullets, you should be in the mid 3-ish grain territory to make minor, comfortably

Edited by TrackCage

4 hours ago, TrackCage said:

That's too much powder , in my experience, for a 135 gr bullet (not unsafe, just way over minor PF).

So... for 135gr bullets, you should be in the mid 3-ish grain territory to make minor, comfortably

What type bullets? coated, plated, jacketed? It makes a difference. A significant difference. 

My chrono results are listed in the thread I linked.

13 minutes ago, ddc said:

What type bullets? coated, plated, jacketed? It makes a difference. A significant difference. 

My chrono results are listed in the thread I linked.

OK, not calling you a liar.

Xtreme plated bullets follow closely with lead data. All my data is with coated lead, and you yourself mentioned mid 3's for coated as well.

2 hours ago, TrackCage said:

OK, not calling you a liar.

Xtreme plated bullets follow closely with lead data. All my data is with coated lead, and you yourself mentioned mid 3's for coated as well.

No worries, didn't think you were. 🙂

One thing that occurs to me is that it has been some time since I checked my chrono against another.

The last time I checked it, Pro Chrono Digital, against a friends Caldwell, my chrono was consistently 10 fps slower than the Caldwell.

I agree that given your results my load seems like it might be taking a bit more powder than I would have guessed.

My average PF for that load was 132.

15 hours ago, missed it by that much said:

With 135 coated lead bayou bullets I'm loading 3.5 ASP to make minor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Same here. My 135gr Blue load is 3.5gr.

On 1/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, TrackCage said:

So about 3.5gr?  I will try some for sure, thanks for the assistance!