Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for ASP powder for Extreme 135gr HP bullets?


chgofirefighter
 Share

Recommended Posts

Standard load workup process applies.
The OAL will be your blend of "fits the mag and plunks the barrel" and charge weight will be a modest starting point based on closest weight/style bullet.

We know from Xtreme FAQ that load data for their bullets is around the midrange point for jacket bullets.

So perhaps a starting weight 10% lower than the minimum FMJ/JHP charge and work up in small intervals. Chrono for power factor or run until cycles - whichever meets your need.

Welcome to the world of unpublished data.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A number of threads on ASP; don't recall any postings specific to that bullet.

 

I can give you a very general reference point for a 135 grain load: 4.0 grains ASP gets low 130 power factor with a 135 grain RMR jacketed flat point.

(that is out of a 320 X5)

 

Note that bullet is jacketed, not plated. Plated would typically be a little less for the same PF.

 

Chrono data is in this thread: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/281234-sport-pistol/page/2/#comments

 

That thread also mentions a Blue Bullets 135 grain load at 3.6 grains if I recall correctly. That seems about right for a coated load at minor PF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ddc said:

A number of threads on ASP; don't recall any postings specific to that bullet.

 

I can give you a very general reference point for a 135 grain load: 4.0 grains ASP gets low 130 power factor with a 135 grain RMR jacketed flat point.

(that is out of a 320 X5)

 

Note that bullet is jacketed, not plated. Plated would typically be a little less for the same PF.

 

Chrono data is in this thread: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/281234-sport-pistol/page/2/#comments

 

That thread also mentions a Blue Bullets 135 grain load at 3.6 grains if I recall correctly. That seems about right for a coated load at minor PF.

That's too much powder , in my experience, for a 135 gr bullet (not unsafe, just way over minor PF).

For 147s, I'm at 3.1/3.2 gr ASP

For 124/125s, I'm at 3.8/3.9gr ASP

Both of the above get me to 130-ish PF

 

So... for 135gr bullets, you should be in the mid 3-ish grain territory to make minor, comfortably

Edited by TrackCage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TrackCage said:

That's too much powder , in my experience, for a 135 gr bullet (not unsafe, just way over minor PF).

For 147s, I'm at 3.1/3.2 gr ASP

For 124/125s, I'm at 3.8/3.9gr ASP

Both of the above get me to 130-ish PF

 

So... for 135gr bullets, you should be in the mid 3-ish grain territory to make minor, comfortably

 

What type bullets? coated, plated, jacketed? It makes a difference. A significant difference. 

 

My chrono results are listed in the thread I linked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ddc said:

 

What type bullets? coated, plated, jacketed? It makes a difference. A significant difference. 

 

My chrono results are listed in the thread I linked.

OK, not calling you a liar.

 

Xtreme plated bullets follow closely with lead data. All my data is with coated lead, and you yourself mentioned mid 3's for coated as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TrackCage said:

OK, not calling you a liar.

 

Xtreme plated bullets follow closely with lead data. All my data is with coated lead, and you yourself mentioned mid 3's for coated as well.

 

No worries, didn't think you were. 🙂

 

One thing that occurs to me is that it has been some time since I checked my chrono against another.

The last time I checked it, Pro Chrono Digital, against a friends Caldwell, my chrono was consistently 10 fps slower than the Caldwell.

 

I agree that given your results my load seems like it might be taking a bit more powder than I would have guessed.

 

My average PF for that load was 132.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, TrackCage said:

That's too much powder , in my experience, for a 135 gr bullet (not unsafe, just way over minor PF).

For 147s, I'm at 3.1/3.2 gr ASP

For 124/125s, I'm at 3.8/3.9gr ASP

Both of the above get me to 130-ish PF

 

So... for 135gr bullets, you should be in the mid 3-ish grain territory to make minor, comfortably

 

 

So about 3.5gr?  I will try some for sure, thanks for the assistance!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...