Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 750 help

Jonesjohnm

I’ve loaded on a 650 for a few years now. With the release of the 750 model, I decided to upgrade. All in all it’s a nice machine. I’m having an issue with the primer system. On the upstroke (pressing the primer into the pocket) I’m having and issue where the primer is occasionally (1 of every 20 or so) clipping the primer pocket before it’s pressed in. It feels like it’s pressing the primer in place before the case is above it stops or is fully in place. The frequency increases when speed increases and decreases at a slower speed.

Dillon has suggested aligning the system with their tool. I have done this 3 times now. I’m still having the same issue. They’ve now requested that if it continues I send the machine back.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you get resolution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the priming stem centered in the shellplate? Or does it look like this...

mpezTcG.jpg

When the plate stops it is centered. I can confirm it’s centered using the tool. The issue seems to be related to indexing. The best I can describe it is to tell how it feels. It feels like the plate does not index quickly enough. If I’m putting out a completed round every 4-5 seconds this occurs. If I’m anticipating or feeling for the issue, I can feel the primer make the bottom of the case. When I feel it occur, I can back off, then try to reseat and it goes in flawlessly. It seems as if it’s an issue with the actual motion of the plate indexing. I’ve tried tightening the case plate, loosening it, cleaning it. I don’t know. I’m stumped.

I think the dillon primer searing stem can be adjusted a tiny amount if I remember. There is a groove the set screw tighten into. Maybe loosen it and push down as far as possible and retighten? It might not be installed correctly

the 550/750 primer slide has an adjustment screw that controls in out travel.

the mounting screws center it side to side.trash in the system will cause binding 

appearing as a timing issue. 

the 550/750 primer slide has an adjustment screw that controls in out travel.
the mounting screws center it side to side.trash in the system will cause binding 
appearing as a timing issue. 

I will take a look at this later this evening and update

You might be tightening the shellplate too much.

I’ve tried so tight it doesn’t move to so loose the plate has an 1/8” inch vertical play.

I don’t think that is the case. I understand why you suggested this, as too tight does limit motion but case plate torque was my first thing to play with.

adjust the timing of your shell plate. you can advance or retard the timing by moving the bearing cam on the left side of the press held with two allen bolts forward and back. that should allow you to advance the plate position so the priming stem is alligned before it plunges. 

if that is not the fix and your timing is on, it can be the the forward/back depth of the primer bar which can be changed by the nut and bolt just above the bar or it can be the height of the primer plunger.

82377458_2678604948882459_2191169439699828736_n.jpg

81606576_823841828075564_6128754920771289088_n.jpg

81357137_493784548233990_4434829809322819584_n.jpg

Update:

Adjusting the bearing cam seems to have done the trick. I adjusted it to accelerate the plate timing. I only pressed 100 last night but all 100 were flawless and the issue didn’t occur.

Thanks guys!

As soon as I started reading your thread first thing that came to mind was the cam under the shell plate.. Had a very e similar problem recently and in fact it was cam.. Glad to see it worked for you as well. 

How do you like the 750 compared to the 650..