Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hogue short or long cylinder release

FENWICK7

🤗

😃any recomdations on the Hogue log or short extended cylinder releases for the S&W 929

Plan to shoot the Big Dawg in Ankeny this summer. I figure  if i get

a speed rig for my S&W 929 I might be able to shave enough off

my overall time to keep me out of last place. Any thoughts on a 

decent speed rig for the 929 would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I like the short Hogue release.  I have happened to try all 3 (3rd being the TK one).

It's personal preference, the way I reload I could probably go with a shorter one (if such a thing existed)

PS get some regular dryfire practice going -no need to be in last place.

Edited by MikeyScuba

I also went with the medium.  When doing my reload, I keep my thumb on the release while applying a little bit of pressure.  once the reload is complete, I bring my thumb back down to shooting position.  I've found that this helps keep my grip in place and I can get back on target faster.

[emoji847]
[emoji2]any recomdations on the Hogue log or short extended cylinder releases for the S&W 929
Plan to shoot the Big Dawg in Ankeny this summer. I figure  if i get
a speed rig for my S&W 929 I might be able to shave enough off
my overall time to keep me out of last place. Any thoughts on a 
decent speed rig for the 929 would be greatly appreciated. thanks
It depends how you reload.

I'm right handed and I switch hands to reload. I do not use an extended release because I think moving my thumb all the way back before rotating the revolver in my hands would be slower. I use an SDM release with really sharp checking. The rotating motion of reaching around with my left hand to push the cylinder out from the other side brings my thumb into contact with the release without moving the thumb.

If I was a right handed shooter who reloaded with my left hand I would probably use an extended release. I think I would prefer the shorter one. Your thumb is below the release and the longer the release is the further up and back your thumb has to move to get to it.

If I was a lefty, I think I would run the long extended release. A lefty has to bring their thumb over the back of the gun to hit the release and the long release should make this easier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk